Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK 7.3

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 14:16
New update for Dark GDK can be downloaded from:

http://files.thegamecreators.com/DarkGDK/DarkGDK_7.3.rar

Header files need updating but essentially it's the same version as DB Pro now.
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 14:54 Edited at: 20th Apr 2009 14:56
WOOOT! downloading now thanks for gettin this out!

xiva
Years of Service
User Offline
Yay !

But when i try to include it and run the program i get an error

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'atlsd.lib'

xiva

"Lifes like a box of chocolates, you never know which one you get" Forest Gump
Unless you read the leaflet, thats why hes so "different"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2009 18:03
Great Mike, thanks! I'll begin testing.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome, downloading.
Cuddle Bunniezzz 12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2009 04:00
This just made my 4-20 even brighter.

http://twewy-fan.com/ <-- The first ever fansite for "The World Ends With You"
Lion Jin
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried it ,it doese not display unicode text(such as chinese) correctly.The last version (NOV08) is OK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
wow!!!

finally it's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

incredible!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
compiled a few unfinished projects I had around.

all seems to be working fine!

might come back to doing some work with gdk eventually...
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
XIVA:

In VC++ Properties go to LINKER - INPUT

In IGNORE SPECIFIC LIBRARY make you you have these entries:

libcmtd, msvcrt, atls
Lion Jin
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I noticed DBPro7.3 has the same font problem as GDK7.3 ,it did not display unicode character correctly and as if "dbSetTextFont" doese affect "CHARSET".

Hope it can be fixed before the release ,thanks!!!!
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 06:26
Cuddle Bunniezzz 12:
Quote: "This just made my 4-20 even brighter"

lol the best holiday of the year

I haven't ran into any problems since I downloaded it yesterday, thanks again

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Play Anim to Texture is still broken
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 10:30 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2009 10:38
[EDIT] Never Mind, figured it out.. (forgot namespace ) [/Edit]

I can't seem to get a successful compile while using strings. I already adjusted my code generation to /MT yet I get the following errors:

Anybody else get this problem? I'm posting this here because I haven't had this problem and I'm "guessing" it has to do with the update?

AlexI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 21:42 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2009 22:31
Nice will download after backing up old version.

Does it fix the frame rate locked at 60 issue?

Edit:
It does dbSetDisplayModeVSync

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2009 23:13
Quote: "I can't seem to get a successful compile while using strings. "

Have you tried compiling in release mode?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Lion Jin
Years of Service
User Offline
For "void dbCloneObject(int iDestinationID, int iSourceID, int iCloneSharedData )", it still has link problem:"error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl dbCloneObject(int,int,int)" (?dbCloneObject@@YAXHHH@Z) referenced in function "void __cdecl DarkGDK(void)" (?DarkGDK@@YAXXZ)
1>..\bin\Release\DemoPathfinding.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals"
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there any release notes? What new features or bug fixes do we get with this update? Sorry, but "same as DBPro" doesn't tell me anything. The downloaded package does not contain either a change log or an updated help.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 15:45
Quote: "The downloaded package does not contain either a change log or an updated help. "

As this is an Update,it is good question.
Or is this still considered a beta, under testing?

Has the official download of DarkGDK from the other sites (eg: Microsoft and other official download areas) been updated also, or will there be an addition for this update at "The Gamecreators", "DarkGDK","Upgrades" area ?

Maybe the question we should be asking is, will this update be considered FINAL, or will it be further updated, depending upon replies from this thread?
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 21:30
Mireben, if it's the same as DBPro then why don't you go to the DBPro section and look at their 7.3 update? I'm just gonna let you do it yourself because it'll be a good learning experience to actually look around a bit and make a connection or two. (and it's a very long update too)

Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Mireben, if it's the same as DBPro then why don't you go to the DBPro section and look at their 7.3 update? "

Believe it or not, I did. Half of the things listed there are not applicable to DarkGDK (editor, compiler, help pages). The other half may apply, but the point is that, even if the core of DBPro and DarkGDK are the same from the developers' point of view, they are still two different products and they deserve their own release notes in my opinion.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2009 22:03
Yea true

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i think that they wanted to get it in our hands as fast as possible, which is a very nice thing.

having to wait to make release notes would hav emeant wait many more weeks...
MrEd
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone know how to use DarkGDKStart, DarkGDKInit, DarkGDKEnd functions. If I use them I get error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl DarkGDKStart(void)" (?DarkGDKStart@@YA_NXZ) referenced in function "void __cdecl DarkGDK(void)" (?DarkGDK@@YAXXZ). I Want use these with WinMain function (I think that there are for this)
Sharp Bullet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2009 16:00
I think you should have a function called DarkGDK(void) which is the main function.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
instead of #include "DarkGDK.h" use #include "DarkGDK2.h"

i found out that in the latest 7.3 update DarkGDKStart is not triggering well, as I am testing the existance of DX here, and this should theorethically start first thing, but I am still getting the default DX missing dll error
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2009 13:40
There is some problem that I have not isolated yet.

I has to do with instanced objects + ghosting.

I have a ghosted plain (the sun halo), and then lots of ghosted instanced objects (the sun particles).
When the particles go thru the halo, they miss the ghosting.

All was ok in the previous versions. I recorded a video that is made by just replacing the new libraries with the old ones:

I'll try to do a sample, but for now this was easier to show. Perhaps it can already give a clue
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2009 07:06
since there appears to be issues with 7.3, im going to refrain from downloading it... is 7.4 going to be on its way soon for GDK as well?

Fipper
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to limit memory usage to the next updates? I mean 512 MB for blank program is too much. DBP uses only 64 MB for blank program.
Koesak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2009 20:26 Edited at: 25th May 2009 22:08
Can this be installed clean, without any previous versions or should i install a previous version from order history first?

Edit: Just finished downloading and see I do need to install a previous version

A
Koesak
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, for double post, still under watch by mods... Is this version stable, or fairly stable?

A
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
@Morcilla Have you tried using dbDisableObjectZWrite() on the sun halo and the particles?

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2009 12:07
Yeah thanks for the input, this is the full set up:

Even if I were not using it, the point would be why it behaves differently from one version to another...

So far I'm sticking with DGDK-November08 due to this issue, but I could even get back to DGDK-VS2005 if I don't get the shadows working properly, shadows become solid at certain positions , I show it in this little video:

I tried both:

Usukhuu
Years of Service
User Offline
so cooooooooooool
Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 21:55
Just curious if this update has fixed the problem with being able to delete/create multiple terrains?
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been away from DGDK and these forums for a while, but looking at this thread, I see that regression testing on the product continues as bad as it ever been, which is a shame.

Guess I'll visit again in 6 months...

I have vague plans for World Domination
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 12:40
Hey Miguel, long time no see
I wish you couldn't say that, oh well.

While TGC has made a step forward by almost joining at the same level the DBPro/DGDK libraries, I'm afraid that DGDK 7.3 is just a beta, and for what it is said here and there, they won't release a 7.4 until it is fully rounded and stable in DBPro.

See you next time, you are always welcome
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Manuel,

I must be honest and say that the main reason I haven't been around is because I haven't devoted any time to gamedev in the last year or two - but that's just our little secret, ok?

In any case, I always though the GDK was a really nice API in the sense that it is simple and not over-engineered as most engines. It saddens me to see that every release still breaks things from the previous ones.

If they were releasing monthly or whatever, that would be somewhat understandable. But with such spaced releases it is quite disheartening that the thing is always broken in weird and wonderful ways.

I have vague plans for World Domination
AtomR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 17:44 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 17:49
I've been thinking about switching from DBPro to DarkGDK for a lot of reasons:
First, I think its about time I started programing in C++. I've been putting it off for 10 years XD. All I read is how powerfull and fast this language is. I'm pretty sure I won't have any trouble learning the language, and I already know Java so I think it's a samll stretch from there (or I may be mistaken but i'd still like to try).
Second I am totally in love with Object Oriented programing. Its such an organized way of thinking and programing.
Third, I'm hoping to maximize the performance of my projects because DBPro starts slowing down way to fast :s (will I still have the same problem in DarkGDK considering the problem is not unoptimized code?)
But reading these last posts I ask: Am I better off sticking with DBPro?
Quote: "But with such spaced releases it is quite disheartening that the thing is always broken in weird and wonderful ways.
"

Is it broken in "game breaking" ways or not more broken so then DBP itself that always fixes things and breaks others with new updates?

[edit]
I've installed Visual Studio 2008 and when i try to install DarkGDK it says can't find compiler VC++ O_o
I have a student version of VS2008? Can that be it? Is a specific version needed or any VS2008 will do?

Take care
AtomR
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 12:50
To be fair, it is "game breaking" only with some regression tests that force to use a workaround that shouldn't be needed. For me this happens with the shadow system, although I'm pending further testings.
You can consider it as DBPro, you can reach quite far before noticing that something stops you.

Any VS 2008 should do it, but make sure that you install the C++ compiler, and not only Visual Basic .NET, C# or whatever. You'll also need the DX SDK...August 08?
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 16:58
August 07 DirectX SDK if you are using the default, and run the compiler once after it installs, before you install anything else. This allows it to setup some environment variables that the DirectX SDK and GDK need to install....

DarkGDK's installer will only work with Visual Studio express 2008 I believe aswell without modification. It will still install all the files you need(\\Program Files\\The Game Creators\\DarkGDK\\), it just wont setup your Visual Studio IDE with the library and include file paths unless you use the Express edition so you will need to point it to them manually.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
old man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I asked this question some time ago, but no response.

I would like to have a go at stereoscopic in dgk, but I can't find the command:

SET CAMERAS TO STEREOSCOPIC Stereoscopic Mode, Camera Left, Camera Right, Image Back, Image Front[/i][/i]

I tried dbSetCamerasToStereoscopic( to no avail!

Any idea if this is in latest version?

uff
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 12:36
I don't see anything like that in the header files...
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 17:31
was that a DBPro 7.4 command ? If it is, GDK isnt inline with 7.4 yet, as 7.4 is still officially beta and being tested I think

sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 18:46
Quote: "I would like to have a go at stereoscopic in dgk, but I can't find the command:"

I thought that had nothing to do with the game library directly, but rather to do with the video card driver.
I believe the Z buffer information is used to provide a displacement offset for alternate frames, depending upon how far the particular object pixel happens to be away from the camera.

All this information should be provided with either your "shutter glasses", or your "polarized 3D screen", depending upon what system you are using.
old man
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello again

I have the DBP upgrade 7.3 and the command set cameras to stereoscopic is there and works.

I have the GDK 7.3 but the command does not work and I cannot find in the header files.

Is GDK 7.3 supposed to be in line with DBP 7.3?

Any help gratefully accepted!!

uff
Conor B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 14:40
Hey does anyone know if the anti-aliasing commands are working properly in this version?! In the Nov 2008 version this code..

Works perfectly.. well.. until images/sprites are pasted to the screen! In my game once a sprite is on the screen the anti aliasing stops working for the rest of the game! Anyone have any suggestions?

There are 10 types of people, people who know binary and people who don't!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 12:05
Quote: "I have the GDK 7.3 but the command does not work and I cannot find in the header files.

Is GDK 7.3 supposed to be in line with DBP 7.3?"

Well, you can try to add the function declaration manually in the camera header file, sometimes the function has been ported and exists in the static libraries, but the prototype is missing.

Quote: "Hey does anyone know if the anti-aliasing commands are working properly in this version?!"

There is a bug report here (not officially confirmed yet) :

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=154486&b=15

I wonder if it is affecting DBPro as well...
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 19:19 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 19:22
Does anybody know if there is a list of the missing commands from DarkGDK that we can implement with forward declerations ?..

such as :

and also the commands that are a part of darkbasic pro that have to do with dynamic cube maps, is the only way we can get at those commands in DarkGDK through using DarkShader ?

And the command "dbRenderDynamicCubeMap()" seems to cause an exception error, no matter how its called, as soon as the program reaches that command is crashes. Is there a known workaround for that, or does the command require some extra setup ?
The Reflection mapping example for DarkGDK that comes with the DarkShader library uses the "dbRenderDynamicCubeMap" command in it's code, which compiles and links fine, but crashes with an exception when it's run(at that command)
EDIT : If I comment out the Render command, the program runs fine and the cube maps look like they are applied properly, but are all screwed up and definately not dynamic.

Any help is greatly appreciated

OmegaGT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 12:14
The march of Dark does not stop: D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:28:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:28:05