Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC Optimization Guide [V3.00]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
alright cool i will change my sig when i get home

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW, I totaly forgot this ... sorry for bump, i will upgrade this one

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 22:47
Any chance of the Open Office files? I wouldn't mind doing some editing...

Thanks,
JRH
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW I am so dumb, i totally forgot this....AGAIN. Sure mate. I will update this and send you the files at the end of this week.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Here are two tips:

Add lots of lighting, it creates lots of efect and makes the atmosphere so much better. Combind it with sounds and you have an award winning game.

Multiplayer levels - Please dont make them too big. They get too large and too hard to find your oponents. Make them small, they take less time to load, you can cram loads of detail into every aspect and you have much more action going on.

http://arenas4146.webs.com/
http://fraggaming.forum2.biz/forum.htm
Pozag
Years of Service
User Offline
A small tip that I quickly learned back when doing Q3 maps.

Once you have your design layout on paper, color the sectors that are crucial to the progress and the ones that are optional. When you build your level, only create the crucial sectors and put a place holder or just a fake door that would lead to the optional rooms/sectors.

Test your level with your crucial sectors and monitor the performance/fun factor/Duration and etc. Add one room at a time and see how it effects the overall user experience. Exploration greatly improves the immersion but over doing it doesn't really help either. It's important to balance this factor early in the creation then later. Early will offer the possibility to iron out leaks and bugs quicker.

When you're done with your complete design. You may or may not remove the place holders of "originally planned rooms". If you do leave the place holder, add a sound effect of locked doors. For some users, this will trigger a sense of mystery and might even enhance your puzzles. IE: You found a key but you're not sure which door it will unlock.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
@Arenas: the first open is not really a tip, it is to abstract. The second one is good, but i am sure you can make Multyplayer games like a sniper shooter grand grass area. I will change the second one a bit and add it in, with your name.

@Pozag: Nice tips mate, will add it in. Thanks.

@JRH: I will send you the files tommorow.

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
I know another tip:

Use no lights, but use a high ambient level.

Now in the W.I.P. forum: operation sunlight
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149451&b=25
beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
@rakker126
really no what are you talking about that would make it look like crap no shadows or anything.

Heres my tip dont know if this is in yet but

If you have an outdoor level that you have in daytime add a yellow light that will act as your sun 2 layers above the map and make the like range as big as your level. this will give your level very nice effects on the area. shadows etc.

heres another

there is no pure white or yellow light so try and change the light color to look more realistc in color dont just use a pure yellow or white light.

this tip may need more explaining

bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
i know what you mean beachard5 about the yellow and white lighting thing, basically you mean someone should have a play around with the colour selection i.e. make up a colour by moving the pointer around a bit so that it is more of a light peachy/creamy colour, but it should be light enough so it doesn't make it look like a strong peach colour.

I have had a play with it and i think that "e8f5ff" should be about the right light colouring, but hey people have a play around there are thousands/millions of colours to choose from lol.

BJKDAW
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
[V. 3.00]

Added some tips.
Renamed some things.
And some other things....

Have a look...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?izngizyfxjn

MODS PLEASE CHANGE THE V. 2.00 to 3.00, in the main title,. THANKS

beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2009 23:17 Edited at: 20th Jun 2009 23:20
nevermind i get what you mean bkinsmen

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 10:28 Edited at: 21st Jun 2009 10:29
I just downloaded v3.00 of the guide. Nice

I have some suggestions for better readability though:

1. The text on the very first page is very hard to read. You should find another type. Readability is way more important than having it look "cool"

2. The text on the main pages is surounded by a thick black line. This line makes it harder to read the first letter in every line. Either remove the line or tweak its settings so that it doesn't degrade readability by touching the letters.
bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Red Eye, I have OpenOffice downloaded and installed now so i am ready for proof reading.

This is an excellent guide!

All the best,

BKinsman

BJKDAW
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 00:18
I just found one more: there are no page numbers. There should be page numbers even in a PDF. People who print the file will miss them.
bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys,

I am going to be reviewing the guide for Red Eye before it is available for download.

Quote: "I just found one more: there are no page numbers. There should be page numbers even in a PDF. People who print the file will miss them. "

@Scurvy Lobster - Red Eye will either add them in or i will in the next issue.

Keep up the great work everyone.

All the best

BKinsman

BJKDAW
bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
wow we need an update here guys, this is getting lost in the forums and is definitely something that is needed for everyone. It will help solve a lot of problems.

BJKDAW
Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 17:17
Why not contact a mod and have it pinned?
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Funny how I missed this. Good job by all to keep things like this alive. Some tips were spoken of years ago, yet tips go missing.

At the moment I can't add much due to time, feel free to check my threads and xplosys's below if your interested in any more info though (look for my posts and his p1 & p2). If you want me to explain anything let me know. Otherwise keep up the good work.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=25&t=120929&p=1
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Very Nice Very Nice. Thanks Deca. I will add what there is on there on the thread into the guide.

Quote: "Why not contact a mod and have it pinned?"

If they have wanted it to do, they already had done it.

Quote: "wow we need an update here guys, this is getting lost in the forums and is definitely something that is needed for everyone. It will help solve a lot of problems. "

Take it easy mate. , I am having like 3 Projects over here. And then this and then also then also another guide. I am gonna give everything to JHR so he can add it into the guide.

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 20:45
Quote: "I am gonna give everything to JHR so he can add it into the guide."

Can you e-mail it to me?
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry not in Holland right now. I am in Portugal. I will email ASAP. I have some projects i really like and am working on. So.... But i will email it. Very forgetfull.

koolman v2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 23:09 Edited at: 6th Aug 2009 00:46
@JRH
no offense but
Why are you bumping this thread JRH couldn't you just email him in the first place I know he's very busy

thank you

JRH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 23:46
Quote: "no offense but"

Thank you for offending me.
Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 04:21 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 04:22
I have a new addition for speeding up the game.

Use Apple Juice Mod. Free, and for the 1.15 update.

lol

Do you use Vanilla 1.15 FPSC? Use Apple Juice Mod! Totally free, and gives better speeds for your game!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 14:23
You don't happen to have this guide in .doc/.docx format do you Red Eye?

For KeithC

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 22:30:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 22:30:09