Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Extreme Graphics Makeover Contest: Summer Edition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 23:20
I know what WIP stands for, but how do you guys discern between a WIP and an unfinished game, where is line line between the two?

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 23:24
Isn't a WIP an unfinished game - no difference between them... Or am I missing something?
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2009 04:52
Who talked about 'unfinished games? you asked..

Quote: "what defines the line between WIP and completed?

is it just when you say "im done" or what?"

I answered..

Quote: "a WIP is exactly what it says Work-In-Progress. It implies the game is ongoing in dev and has not reached what would be considered an Alpha or Beta Build. I would expect with the 2 and a half months given for this contest any entry should at the very least be at the beta stage. Meaning 'Playable'. Having code that loads all the graphics and sets up the game but has no 'function' is just what I would call 'initialization code' and does not constitute a game."

"In Development" and "Work-in-Progress" are essentially the same. During the development there comes a time when the game takes shape and is 'playable'. Now many aspects of the game might not be finalized, menus, extra levels etc. but the mechanics of the game are done and most of the logic. (this is where the game begins life) once the game is 'playable' it can be called an 'alpha'. Taking it a step further, the menus, extra levels, sound, and most of the graphics are done (which for this contest is not the important factor) and the gameplay has been tweaked and any mechanical or logic bugs have been for the most part squashed. At this point the game would be in what is known as the 'beta'. the beta version of the game has all the elements 'working' and is ready for the final polish. Some games at the beta stage are actually like 95% complete. heck some games 'get released' while in 'beta' and they 'plan' on the patch fixing any final bugs and polish the remaining 5% . In fact the first patch often is released at the same time as the 'official release'.

My head now hurts, why are you asking about "when a WIP becomes 'done'?" It was never said that the entries for this contest had to be 'totally finished' only that they be 'playable'. There is no 'Gameplay' if you cannot 'Play the game'. An Alpha build would be more than good enough for entry into this contest.

I don't know what else to say,

Cheers!

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 13:31
This contest is over and we have a Winner!

Congratulations Diru! Looks like you win the contest by default as the only entry.

Send me an email and We'll see if we can get these graphics polished up before the next Newsletter. (you can send me an email by clicking the E-mail button at the bottom of this post.)

Cheers!

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 13:58
Yay I won (by default)

Thank you very much for setting up the competition!

I have sent the email.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 17:08
Could we see a before and after when you're finished (programmer art, versus artist...art)?
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 17:53 Edited at: 16th Aug 2009 17:55
KeithC there are screens of the 'programmer' version in the WIP thread. But I'll be sure to make some compare if you dare shots for the newsletter.

Cheers!

Diru I have not received the email yet, what was the subject heading? and if there was none my spam filter kills it automatically.

Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 18:08
The header was "The EXTREME Graphics Makeover Contest (Diru)‏"

Sent to david.gervais60(_at_)gmail.com

My email is alex_slipknot(_at_)hotmail.co.uk
Diru
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 21:17
Recieved your email and replied. So posting here in case my email doesn't get through.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 00:32 Edited at: 18th Aug 2009 00:33
[EDIT]Didn't see page 2.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 12:50
With the contest over and the Makeover completed, here is a final post of the before and after samples of Diru's game Barricade!

Before..

After..

Cheers!

P.S. thread now unlocked and ready to move into history..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 03:53:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 03:53:40