Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Fatal Velocity

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 13:18 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2009 13:19

Ok, First up, I'm still totally working on the cartoon shaded game, this is a side challenge.

Basically, this all kicked off because the senior programmer at the company I work for thinks he can make a better wipeout clone than me in 30 days (he's using Unity, and I'm using DBpro). So, gauntlet down I've stepped to the challenge.

In 14 days time both games will be uploaded to a site and we'll have a voting system to see who gets the most votes!

Anyway, I've made a video, which to be honest, doesnt do it justice! I'll have a demo out by Wednesday, because I really need some feedback!

Please check the video and tell me what you think! If you are going to make suggestions / criticisms, please consider that I've made everything you can see so far in 16 days (and I work full time), and that I only have 14 days to finish, so I haven't time to go adding immergent enemy Ai or anything!!

Click the above image for video!

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 14:45
Nobody?

I want robotic legs.
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 15:43
Sorry Butter fingers, i replied to your video, but forgot to post here. Well i can't think of anything to say, besides what i said on youtube. Agh but maybe there is, something just popped into my mind right now, that would be awesome: 1st person driving. I would love to be able to see "from" the icarus vehicle. That would be something awesome, and make it a little more challenging and appealing.
Pbcrazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 03:49
Looks cool!

Can't wait till the 14 (13?) days are up so we can see how bad you beat your senior programmer, lol

[href=http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artists/Pbcrazy[/url][/href]
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 04:10
Butter fingers,
don't get me wrong, but IMO you should stick to one project
Many projects gets dead because of sticking into too many projects.

But yeah, looks great!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 10:49
Roxas, I'm really still on GTR, it's just that this little battle was too tempting to turn down. I'll get back on with the good stuff soon.x

I want robotic legs.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 15:16 Edited at: 4th Jun 2009 15:16
The screenshots look good, I like the gritty, dirty look you have. Watching the videos the game seems a little to dark. I'd suggest adding some lights to the actual road, with a bit of glow. I assume this game takes place at night maybe? Though instead of having the black background, maybe make it a swirling grey and dark blue background. Maybe even create a speed effect with large clouds stretched out towards the player.

A cool trick for making an object look fast then it is, when ever you speed up, bring the camera closer to the ship while increasing the FOV in a way so the ship stays the same 'distance' from the camera. With the increased FOV, it will appear that the ship is moving faster across the road. Especially if you add some more detail and lights to it. Adding large diagonal and diamond shapes to the road will enhance the effect even more!

Good luck with your duel! I hope you'll win.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 15:51 Edited at: 4th Jun 2009 15:52
That's great. Very quick turn around, and nice speed effects. If you could allow the speeder to lift of the track on the downhills rather than tracking with the gradient, that'd be awesome (a bit of jumping). The effect of speed is very good overall though.

The only downside is Dread Bass!! Is that Dread Bass? If so ... noooo ... one of the worst jungle tracks of all time in my opinion!!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 16:47
Quote: "A cool trick for making an object look fast then it is, when ever you speed up, bring the camera closer to the ship while increasing the FOV in a way so the ship stays the same 'distance' from the camera. With the increased FOV..."

Um did you watch the video? That is exactly what I am doing !! Except that the Ship uses the set FOV command so that it doesn't stretch with the scenery. You might be right about the darkness of the level though, I think that the compression from movie maker is particularly bad, and it's made worse by youtube's built in compression. There is actually alot going on in the background, you just loose alot of it in the video.
Quote: "
If you could allow the speeder to lift of the track on the downhills rather than tracking with the gradient, that'd be awesome (a bit of jumping). The effect of speed is very good overall though."

Hey thanks. I can honestly say it's the fastest I've ever gone through development of a project. I've been scribbling code and concept art on every bus journey, and going to bed at 3am every day for 2 weeks! still....
I agree that the ship should have a better sense of gravity, it would be nice to have some little jumps in the track, and hills where you could gain speed. If I can get the GUI and so on working sufficiently, I will go back and add the feature.

Yeah its Dread... I am ashamed. I had dubstep on it when I was playing, but I knew that no-one would hear it propperly on their PC speakers!

Thanks for the positive comments though guys! This thread has been a little quiet so it's nice to finally get some feedback! I was feeling all ostracised!

I want robotic legs.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 17:12
The problem is, GTR will always be muchos cooler! This is like the illegitimate child of King GTR - he must be silenced before he attempts to take the throne!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2009 18:32
LOL. Theres no chance that he'll take the throne! King GTR severely punishes discenters! Thank you though, that's high praise indeed

I want robotic legs.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 04:32
Going to pretend I don't know about GTR.

Besides the already mentioned darkness, I also felt the way the cart moved was slightly awkward. Seemed a bit overdone and honestly, a bit sloppy too. Might be the video, though.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 08:08
It's not a bad start but many areas could be improved upon. First of all the map is incredibly dull and dark(as has already been mentioned), because of this there is very little sense of speed and it's only when things like the powerups go past do you notice you're actually moving quite fast. The FOV change on the vehicle just makes it look like it moved away from the camera and doesn't look like a FOV change at all, try changing it for the whole scene, but making it slightly gradual and not instantly changing. Also the vehicle(don't know what they're called) didn't feel very interesting, if you look at this OGRE thread and in particular the videos you can really feel the weight of their craft 'thing' when turning, your one looks way too rigid right now.

If you improve on these areas and maybe add in some loops and actual interesting scenery then it would go a long way to being better. I think if the track were somewhat like a theme park in that the track goes around interesting objects you can see then it'd be more visually appealing.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 11:41 Edited at: 16th Jun 2009 11:45
Quote: "(with the FOV) try changing it for the whole scene, but making it slightly gradual and not instantly changing"

I can't stress enough apparently, that the FOV change is not instant, but takes place over a gradual period linked to the speed/acceleration of your car.

I'd agree that the car in the thread you've linked is very nice, but I straight up don't have the modelling skill (yet) to do this. I've done my best to make it interesting with the speedo stripes over the top but really I'm not a good enough 3D artist to make something even close to that model!

The guy I was competing with on this has stopped working on his game, because of a lack of free time, so I really can't be bothered to put any more into this. I'll whack up an AS-IS demo on the program announcements board.

Thanks for the feedback though people! I'm off to work on cartoon destruction...

I want robotic legs.
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 00:28
Yo won,
but not in a interesting way
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 13:15
Fatal Velocity is Free! Check it

http://rapidshare.com/files/248811537/fatal_velocity.rar.html

I want robotic legs.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 16:18 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 16:18
Was fairly cool for a wip. My complaints are that it took too long to speed up, and that from the angle I hit the wall, I would have though I don't think I should have died so easily.

Was cool though, glad you posted it.

Edit: also, you model looks fine

Jetchaser
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2009 07:15
.......Rapidshare only allows ten downloads. So that means that I can't download it.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
NeatoI espically like the idea of cel shaders

Im a making a game soon..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-30 22:05:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-30 22:05:31