Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project Eres

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 08:22 Edited at: 17th Jul 2009 07:10
Project Eres is a space adventure game being developed with DarkGDK. It is in the style of Escape Velocity by Ambrosia Software. ( http://www.ambrosiasw.com )

The player is set loose in a large galaxy with nearly empty pockets and a small shuttlecraft, and is then free to do as they please. Trading, exploration, pirating, mining, and faction warfare will all be options. A common pitfall of this style of game is that while there are many things to do, the only interesting/fun thing is combat. I'm going to try do my best to make all the options equally interesting, and I expect that most players will dabble a little in all of the fields.

There are very few space games out there with true Newtonian physics, and Project Eres will be one of them. From real friction-less space to gravity fields created by planets and suns, Project Eres will be as realistic as possible, while making sure the game remains fun and playable.

Here is a quick feature list:
- Randomly generated galaxy, filled to the brim with hidden treasures AND horrors awaiting your discovery. This means that every time you start a new game, you have an entire new galaxy to explore!

- Realistic Newtonian physics. You keep moving in the direction you started in. Planets other massive objects will draw you into their gravitational field. Be wary, for black holes DO exist.

- System failures. Ever wonder how a ship with 1% hull integrity can even move, much less continue engaging? Every part of your ship can take damage or fail.

- Options. What will you do? You could take your mining ship and ( more or less ) peacefully make your living. Watch out for those nasty pirates though. Or perhaps you'd prefer to make a living pirating those vulnerable miners? Flying from planet to planet trading goods? Joining the war effort with one of many different factions? Or maybe you'd rather spend your days exploring the galaxy and seeing all there is to see, hunting for that rare artifact worth millions.

- Ship customization. Buy new ships, trade in and out parts on your current ship. You can fly anything from the smallest fighter to the largest carrier. Store all your stuff in various hangers on different planets/stations, and even hire transports to move your stuff! Better make sure they are well protected from pirates...

- Mod-able content! Create new ships and factions through editing simple text files and making your own images.

Flying near a planet

Don't get too close to a sun!

Multitude of flyable ships

Landable Planets!

Here's what I have accomplished so far:
- Newtonian Physics ( Inertia, Gravity, etc )
- Semi-Complete UI
- Faster than light travel
- Ship damage
- Basic Planet Exploration
- Randomly generated galaxy, with 10 solar systems ( more in later versions )
- Mod-able content!

Here's what's coming up soon:
- More planet options and descriptions
- Real ship destruction
- Main menu
- Black holes and other space phenomena

Current Stats ( Just because it amuses me ):
Total Lines of Code: 4,916 in 29 files
Time Elapsed: 37 Days
Average Coding Speed: 132 lines/day ~ 5.5 lines/hour

Download the attached demo or click the link in my sig!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 21:16
I've made a bit of progress on planetary landing.

It's very basic but it's a start :p
Almost every planet will have it's own unique description image, and also a randomly generated text description.

My plan for the text description is as follows:

There will be several different 'branches' of descriptions for each type of planet.

For example, an Ice planet will have it's own tree of possible topic sentences to begin the description, and each following sentence will have links to all the other sentences which are compatible with it.

What do you think? My only worry is that the descriptions will seem lifeless, but I think if I write enough different parts, it will work out.

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 21:26 Edited at: 15th Jun 2009 21:29
Looks nice, is it all proceedurally generated? Like the planet texture and description image?

Also, about the decription, your idea is good but make sure their is loads of possibilities for the beginning sentince, so it isnt like "This planet has lots of ice content and..." for half the ice planets you goto.

puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
I played the demo and I gotta say it looks cool but the whole physics thing is a bit annoying. If it were me I'd make the ship easier to control and make something up that explains for the ease of control. Either way I liked how you could drag around the map.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 08:34 Edited at: 16th Jun 2009 08:36
Quote: "Looks nice, is it all proceedurally generated? Like the planet texture and description image?"

No not yet, though if I can I will do it.

Quote: "Also, about the decription, your idea is good but make sure their is loads of possibilities for the beginning sentince, so it isnt like "This planet has lots of ice content and..." for half the ice planets you goto."

Oh yes definitely, I'll be sure to have lots :p. Hopefully you won't even be able to tell that it's random.

Quote: "I played the demo and I gotta say it looks cool but the whole physics thing is a bit annoying. If it were me I'd make the ship easier to control and make something up that explains for the ease of control."

I'll think about ways to accomplish this. I'm not willing to sacrifice realism, as that is what makes my game different, but I'll see if I can find a way to ease the control. I may have several different options as far as physics go in the future.

Quote: "Either way I liked how you could drag around the map."

Thanks ^^. You can also resize them if you grab the corner.

EDIT: Almost forgot:

I've updated the random name generation. Previously I just included a text file with a bunch of names I generated from websites I found, but now the program creates it's own text file every time with my own generator ^^.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 15:50
That was fun, even though the ship was a bit tough to control (especially out of warp drive). This seems to be coming along well

Quote: "I may have several different options as far as physics go in the future."

How about thruster upgrades? Perhaps you could alternate between weak and strong thrusters depending on the situation (ex. stopping might require the strong thrusters).

<-- Spell based team dueling game!
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 20:54
Looks very similar to Starport. Very nice looking and it sounds fun!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 21:01 Edited at: 16th Jun 2009 21:01
@Sixty Squares: Thanks! Oh that's definitely planned. All subsystems of your ship will be upgradeable ( weapons, propulsion, armor, computer )

A tip about stopping yourself, your main thrusters are significantly more powerful than your retro-thrusters, so if you need to stop fast, turning around could help, but keep in mind that it uses more fuel ( Plus the fuel required to turn around ).

However, when the upgrades system is in place, you could theoretically have an overpowered retro thruster that far outclassed your main thruster, if you have some kind of funky combat strategy.

I think I will add a 'ship controls' panel to the interface, which will have several options relating to the ships computer. I'll make an option that will automatically reduce your angular velocity to 0 after you let go of the left or right key. The downside of this is that it will be almost constantly be using fuel if you are turning often. This is different than what is currently in place, which only reduces your angular velocity if you are turning very slowly.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 23:33
It certainly looks like a good start. But between us, that ship there... Did you by any chance get that from google? Because it is the exact same ship as in my John McClayman's Planet Defence Game, and I got that from google...

Anyway, It doesn't really matter... I like the game style and graphics. Good luck with this project!

TheComet

Make the path of your enemies easier with Waypoint Pro!
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2009 23:46
Quote: "It certainly looks like a good start. "

Thanks!

Quote: "Did you by any chance get that from google?"

Yep, was too lazy to make a nice looking spaceship. I'll make real graphics for the game when the engine is farther along, but for now most everything is placeholders.

Quote: "Good luck with this project! "

Thanks again!

kklouzal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 14:06 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 14:07
Looking good so far Phosphoer & thats all I have to say, I suppose that is not exactly a bad thing ^.^

I may have a suggestion on some added functionality, although if you are going for a multiplayer aspect, my idea may be a bit troublesum to integrate.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 21:57 Edited at: 17th Jun 2009 22:02
Quote: "Looks very similar to Starport. Very nice looking and it sounds fun!"

Have not heard of Starport ( goes to look up ). Thanks much ^^.

Quote: "Looking good so far Phosphoer & thats all I have to say, I suppose that is not exactly a bad thing ^.^"

Quote: "I may have a suggestion on some added functionality, although if you are going for a multiplayer aspect, my idea may be a bit troublesum to integrate."

I have no plans for multiplayer, so fire away.

I'm reworking the classes at a very fundamental level, so the game is broken for a bit. Basically instead of having a Drawing.h that knows how to draw all the objects, each object will know how to draw itself, so all I have to do is call Spaceship.Draw( ).

Also, previously I had a single UIClass which tried to fulfill all teh requirements of all the types of UI I'd have, but it was too messy so now I'm going to have a different UIClass for each type of interface ( Radar, ship readout, etc ).

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 09:13
I made a change in the code which sped up the game almost 2x. Apparently dbSetTextSize( ) causes a major slow down if performed every game loop, not sure how you are supposed to get varying text sizes in different parts of the screen, perhaps a bitmap font.

@Puppy of Kosh: I think you'll find it much easier to control now that it isn't so sluggish

The game is un-broken again, with the improvements I was talking about. New demo coming soon

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2009 10:31
Eek! A triple post, my apologies. But I just keep making advancements!

Hopefully the new Ship Controls panel will help ease you physics-phobes into the game :p. The Auto Torque button will simply tell your computer to always try to reduce your angular velocity to 0, unless you are actively pressing left or right of course. This has the effect of friction, while preserving the physics.

Note that this will consume a lot more fuel than usual, because your lateral jets will be firing whenever your angular velocity is greater than 0. Also note that this will not really help you turn in the other direction, because the computer will already be using your jets to their maximum capability. It does save you a lot of arrow-key holding though :p.

There is a new demo!. You can download from either of the links at the top post. This features the advancements detailed above, in addition to optimized speeds and new name generators, ( Which you can feel free to use in your own projects, they are located in the Media folder ).

Happy flying

Krisacz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 15:14
Nice project, I'm working on something similar, will be using my own-created game mechanics witch I used with my board game (yes, old-fashion board, cards and dices ). Anyway I'm will post it in WIP when I will have something more done than I have already (program structure, some graphics etc). Good luck with yours!
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2009 00:53
Thanks, that sounds interesting, can't wait to see it ^^.

NEW DEMO

New features include planets you can land on ( Yay! ) with the 'l' key, partially complete random descriptions about the planet, new planet images, and still better structured code. Plus, you can now refuel at any planet of your choosing, future versions will not allow refueling on uninhabited planets.

Try it out! Demo is attached at top post.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 12:04
Another Demo!

The main new feature is a system for adding ships to the game easily. In the media folder there is a directory called Ships, which contains Ships.txt and some folders. To make your own ship, you merely need to make a new entry in Ships.txt following the same formula as the other two entries, and then create the required images which you can see in the folders. The biggest requirement is that the folder name MUST be the same as the 'Type' of the ship. So if the type of your ship is set as "Cruiser", the folder with it's images must be called "Cruiser" as well.

There is a temporary ship selection dialog at game launch, which automatically loads all the ships specified in Ships.txt. Future versions will have more options for ships, and instead of selecting at the beginning, you will have to work your way towards buying them

You can download the new demo in my sig or at the top post! Have fun!

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 07:26
I've added a new fly-able ship. I'm going to start posting the details of each ship as I add it, the description you see and the image will be what is displayed in the shipyard.

The 5691C Light Freighter is a very old, yet spaceworthy craft. It may guzzle gas like no other, but when you need to transport all your worldly possesions and several kitchen sinks, the 561c will get the job done.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 08:19
Pretty cool. Unfortunately when I play the demo I can't see any stars, planets or HUD markers... Must be something wrong with my comp, this is the second DB game that has messed up like that.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 03:55
That's too bad >< This is actually in DarkGDK, but the entire Dark Basic engine is very picky about DirectX it seems. One installation of 9.0c is not necessarily the same as another.

I don't have any ( visible ) progress to show this post, just wanted to give a quick update. I've been spending a bunch of time optimizing the code and changing the way things load and such. For simplicity's sake, I've added an 'index.txt' file to each folder containing media for randomly generated content. When loading images, the game will only pay attention to the index file, which will specify what images the game should load.

A sample index.txt file might look like this:
Quote: "Media/Planets/Image/Rock/0.png
Media/Planets/Image/Rock/1.png"

The files are numbered just because the previous method I was using just tried to load every file starting at 0.png and ending at 50.png. But now since it just reads index.txt, the images can be named anything you want.

I imagine that if people released content packs for this game, they would include an index.txt that had the filepath for each image already written out, which you would simply add on to your own index.txt.

The loading of ships and their respective images is unchanged, because there is a set number of images to be loaded. ShipA will always have the same associated images as ShipB, although the image content will probably be different.

I also fixed some memory problems that were causing the release .exe to crash on startup, the next demo will be about 2mb smaller because the debug .exe won't be included

I think the next big feature is going to be a shipyard that is accessible from planets. I have a nifty idea of how to display the available ships ^^. This will probably replace the ship selection dialog at startup.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 10:29
Here's a shot of the WIP shipyard function. You can use the left and right buttons to scroll available ships across the screen. Hanger art is not final ( I hope :p ).

What do ya think?

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 15:52
Nice work. I like your style, its a bit cartoony - something you don't often see in space games.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 18:20
The style your game takes on reminds me of old school space adventures. Where everything was pre-rendered with that shiny metal look.

I'm hoping I'll be able to play the next demo.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 04:18 Edited at: 10th Jul 2009 04:20
Quote: "Nice work. I like your style, its a bit cartoony - something you don't often see in space games."

Thanks . I am going for a realistic game with comical undertones :p

Quote: "The style your game takes on reminds me of old school space adventures. Where everything was pre-rendered with that shiny metal look. "

Aye, I'm using 36 rotated images of each ship to provide realtime reflections, much like older games that used sprite sheets.

Quote: "I'm hoping I'll be able to play the next demo."

I hope so too! One possible problem is that the previous demo was a debug .exe, the next one will be a release.

Here's a shot of what I've been working on:

I changed the UI drawing to be medialess, rather than using sprites because I prefer the cleaner look and it scales better ^^. The color scheme will probably be editable by the user.

Much of my progress is not visible, as it has to do with code optimizations and other features being added that do not have a visual component ( yet ). ( I'm working on a surprise for you guys! )

Also, as you can see there is a new ship, the Civilian Cutter. I was disappointed because the detail in the texture isn't really visible in the 90x90 image ><

I've also begun making an inventory feature, so that you will be able to purchase ships at the shipyard and have them go into your hanger. I just have to think of an efficient way to go about this ><

For those curious, the project has just reached 4,285 lines of code. ( 25% of which are comments xD, I comment A LOT ).

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, I wish I could model ships like you! I would love to make a cool space game, but I just can't come up with the graphics.

Quote: "( 25% of which are comments xD, I comment A LOT )."

Wow, a thousand lines of comments? That's pretty crazy!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 04:55
The game is looking good, and fun to play. I hope the next release does work.

Good luck.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 07:43 Edited at: 10th Jul 2009 07:44
I just wanted to add my enthusiasm. I really like this game so far, even if it is kind of boring, it's peaceful. Just flying around, running out of fuel, flying into the sun...

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 09:21
Hehe, thanks. The game will hopefully become less boring when it is populated with warring factions and other AI players all trying to make their way in the galaxy too.

..And black holes xD

What is everyone's thoughts about music? I want to take a bit of a break from coding and work on a different aspect of the game. I was thinking ambient tracks, similar to the music found in EVE-Online.
You can listen to EVE's music here: http://www.eveonline.com/download/music/

Their site seems to be down at the moment ><

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 11:04
I've been working on a new feature, which I hope will help make it easier to get around.

There is now an 'Autopilot' function, which basically allows you to click somewhere on the screen/map and your ship's computer will automatically fly there.

However, as of right now the ship's computer is a bit of a rookie when it comes to flying, and tends to overshoot targets by quite a bit. I'm making progress though and the computer is becoming a better pilot with every line I write :p

This is the first step towards ( dare I say it ) NPC ships. Once I work out the kinks in my AI navigation system, I'll be almost ready to fill the universe with NPC's going about their business.

It should be fairly easy to set up complex routes for NPC's with the command-set I am creating. The player class has a powerful command called TravelToDestination, which will fly the player on autopilot to a destination taking into account things like deceleration time and what kind of speeds to travel at.

At the beginning, AI's will just pick a random planet in a random system, go to it, and repeat which will create a busy-looking atmosphere. However, in the future, I plan for each AI to have it's own agenda, trying to earn money and get by in the universe just like you. Plus don't forget the faction warfare, pirates, and police ships :p

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 11:49
I feel bad for so many double posts, but I want to keep you guys updated.

Well, getting an AI to correctly navigate frictionless space is quite a challenge, but my TravelToDestination function is almost complete! It seems to be working quite well. I can click anywhere on the local system map and my ship will travel there with little to no difficulties.

For those interested, it works something like this:

When you turn manual flight control off, the ships computer automatically sets a destination to your current location. Then, as soon as you click somewhere on the screen, a new destination coordinate is set.

The first thing the ship's computer does is check to see if the destination is far away enough to be worth travelling to. E.g. if the location is only a couple hundred meters away the computer will say that you are already there. ( A couple hundred meters is barely an inch on screen, ignore the scale implications of this statement :p ).

Assuming the location is far away enough to warrant a trip, the next task for the computer is to determine a reasonable speed to travel at based on the distance. It evaluates this speed continually, so the desired speed will decrease as you approach your destination.

Once the desired speed is determined, the computer invokes a speed limit on your ship. Should your ship exceed the speed limit, the computer will turn the ship around and fire the thrusters until the speed is acceptable again.

Next, the computer determines the angle between you and the your destination, and then attempts to orient towards the destination. Once your ship is facing roughly towards the destination, the ship fires the thrusters until the desired speed is reached.

Finally, when the ship is within a small radius of the destination, the computer invokes the speed limit function again, this time with an argument of 0.

OceanJeff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 05:20
Awesome graphics, I love the physics for the control of the ship, I just have to learn to master it. And I have yet to check out the landing on the planets !! Looks awesome in the screenshots here in the forum...

AND...you forgot in your statistics including the errors per hour...LOL

peace, and keep up the awesome work,

jeff c
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 00:13
Bump. Get back to work!

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
Gave this a go and it looks like you've got a good engine going. There's not a whole lot to do right now of coures, but still! I'm not seeing landscape images when I land on planets, for some reason.

I think once you get some NPC ships zipping about it will really start to come alive. I hope you'll add some details of interest to the planets as well. I'm always rather disappointed by games like this when planets are nothing more than a screen to refuel/trade/pick up some quests. It would be nice to be able to travel to different places on the planet, conduct missions just on the planet, and so on. I don't know quite how this would be implemented, but it would just be good to have a sense that you're on a world rather than a sort of glorified motorway service station. That's just me though - it might not be in line with what you're aiming to do.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 01:49 Edited at: 29th Jul 2009 23:33
Quote: "Awesome graphics, I love the physics for the control of the ship, I just have to learn to master it. And I have yet to check out the landing on the planets !! Looks awesome in the screenshots here in the forum..."

Thanks!

Quote: "Bump. Get back to work! "

Hehe, don't worry :p

Quote: "Gave this a go and it looks like you've got a good engine going. There's not a whole lot to do right now of coures, but still! I'm not seeing landscape images when I land on planets, for some reason."

Thank you About the landscape images, only Rock Planets have landscape images at the moment, the rest just have placeholder text. I'm trying to add in some graphics content with each update I release.

Quote: "I hope you'll add some details of interest to the planets as well. I'm always rather disappointed by games like this when planets are nothing more than a screen to refuel/trade/pick up some quests. It would be nice to be able to travel to different places on the planet, conduct missions just on the planet, and so on."

That's an excellent point, I've love to do something like that. I'll see about adding more interest to planets when I've gotten further along with the rest of the game.

------

No new demo yet, but I've made progress on the AI. There are now NPC ships that fly about the galaxy randomly. I need to do some optimizing in order to make the galaxy larger and have more NPC's, but it's on its way!

I'm also having a bit of a problem where ALL the NPC's start in the player's starting system for some reason. It gets really crowded at the beginning before they all warp to their various destinations. :p

All the grey dots in the radar are other players!

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2009 13:48
the game is awesome, but i spent 10 mins trying to see a plant on the screen and i couldnt even get close to one, its really hard to control that ship

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 03:56
If you've got the time to do it, try Terragen to create some good looking planetary surfaces. LunarCell by Flaming Pear software is a great Photoshop plugin that creates some basic planets, Glitterado for Nebulae and SolarCell for stars.

Music is always tough. You've got this guy at Incompetech.com who does pretty good ambient work every now and then.

Good luck, looking fun

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2009 10:03
Quote: "the game is awesome, but i spent 10 mins trying to see a plant on the screen and i couldnt even get close to one, its really hard to control that ship"

Thanks . Learning to travel in newtonian space is tricky, but it will come with practice. The trick is to watch your speed carefully, remember that it takes the same time to speed up as it does to slow down. The fastest way you can get to your destination is to accelerate half way there, and decelerate the other half. Generally though you'd avoid this to preserve fuel.

Quote: "If you've got the time to do it, try Terragen to create some good looking planetary surfaces. LunarCell by Flaming Pear software is a great Photoshop plugin that creates some basic planets, Glitterado for Nebulae and SolarCell for stars"

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I do not own Photoshop :p Maybe I'll look for something similar for us GIMP users ^^.

Quote: "Music is always tough. You've got this guy at Incompetech.com who does pretty good ambient work every now and then."

I managed to create a few good-sounding ambient tracks myself, but as I'm about to detail below, the style of the game has changed somewhat, and ambient tracks may not be necessary.

Quote: "Good luck, looking fun "

Thanks a lot!

Update:

So, a bit of news. A lot of it actually. It's been occurring to me that if I ever want to finish this project, realistically, it needs to be scaled back. This is the solution I came up with.

Project Eres is an engine. So far I really haven't coded any game-specific features. It remains a generic 2d space opera engine. My plan is as follows:

I plan to continue tweaking the engine to make it more flexible and usable. At the same time, I also plan to release a series of smaller games using this engine, a few of which I already have plans for. I also plan to eventually release the source code to the engine, when I feel it is more user-friendly. I'm starting school this Fall at Digipen, which is supposed to provide a rather intensive workload, so I probably won't have a lot of time to spend writing games on the side. I may be able to pop features into the engine here and there.

With that said, let me describe the first game that is going to be released using this engine. I don't have a name for it yet. The game is scaled to use a single solar system, with a few planets and also a number of asteroid belts. The goal is to mine as much ore from the asteroids as possible, selling it at nearby planets.

Now, before you say, "That sounds boring Phos, what are you thinking?!" Let me explain the challenge of the game. Each belt is frequented by pirate ships. At the beginning of the game, your ship is equipped with a small mining laser, which doubles as a weapon. As you exhaust the minerals in the smaller belts, you'll have to venture to the more distance, but larger belts. Larger asteroid belts are home to greater numbers of pirates, and also higher 'level' pirates.

When you return to a planet, you can sell the minerals you have collected and buy better equipment, possibly even better ships. The core challenge will be the balancing of defensive capabilities, and also sufficient mining power / cargo space.

While it will have a focus on realism as far as physics and combat goes, the gameplay will take it's cues from older arcade games, in that there is no end to the game, you continue to play until you die, at which point you can submit a high score.

Because of all these changes, I've had to cut a lot of content from the engine for now, though it will return. As a side-note, I've also changed the graphical style of the game. I recently fell in love with pixel art, so the images in my signature below reflect the current look of the game.

That was quite a long post, but I think I explained everything that was in need of explaining, I'll release new screenshots of the game soon, and update the first post with relevant information. Tell me what you think of these changes!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 01:26:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 01:26:07