Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Starwrath did it, Right?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 02:09
My Topdown shooter's coming along fine, and the single player mode is nearly 80% complete. But A problem keeps on bugging me: When I am done with my single player mode, how am I going to get past Lan and on to Wan with DB? Even the Great TDK(At least at the time he wrote his tutorial)cant seem to get a simple chat server running over the Internet. I understand that this is greatly due to the fact that a router requires a port number ,and Db doesnt give you any control of that

But if I remember correctly, Starwrath 3 could be Connected to a server and allow online play. Does anyone have any idea how it was done? Some sort of dll, maybe?

-DD

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 02:15
Edit doesnt work.

Looked at TDK'S tutorials, Does any one know what happened to the multiplayer tut part two? that would be helpful to.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.CHANGE IT OR DIE!!!!!
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 02:16
I dunno- if you're OK with DLLs, then use Multisync. That one's easy and supports up to 9999 clients lol.

Permanoobs are awesome.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 02:18
Does it get past the Wan "Lock"?

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 02:20
Um, I don't know, DD. I think it will try to connect to the specified IP, even if you only have LAN set up. As far as the WAN lock goes, once you connect you're a part of the LAN, so it doesn't matter.

Permanoobs are awesome.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 02:27
The Lan(Local Area Network) is a networking of computers. by Wan(wide area network) I mean the internet. the problem is not that Lan wont work, its Wan.

Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 12:40
I've never understood how the internet works, but all the StarWraith games past SW3 have had a multiplayer internet connection. Evochron Legends comes with the multisync dll, and I assume it can handle a WAN connection (I've never played online myself, but it's one of the big selling points)

If you download the trial of DBPRo, and look in "Dark Basic Professional\Help\documents" you'll find a file called "2 Multiplayer Secrets.htm". It's a multiplayer tutorial written by the guy who created StarWraith, and it is very good. I'd upload it here, but I'm not sure if I'd end up in trouble with TGC.

Failing that, you could always ask on the StarWraith forums as the game's creator ('Vice') is very helpful, and even has a board devoted to game making!

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 17:09
Quote: "Evochron Legends comes with the multisync dll,"

I thought it was benjamin....

I've figured it out, i think.

In Db alone, there is no way to set the port number, but with multisync They give you a set of commands to do it.

I belive this elmenates the problem. I will ask if there are any more probs though.

-DD

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 21:24
You are correct, my tutorials are written to work with DBC's core commands and as has been pointed out, router ports are the problem for internet connections as DB's multiplayer commands use DirectPlay (if I remember correctly) and random ports are used.

I suppose if you opened all ports on the router it would work, but I'm not daft enough to try that and I suggest no-one else tries it either...

With an external DLL, you don't have these limitations - like Sean did for Starwraith.

Barrie

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 23:03
Hey, Tdk! He IS back....

What happened? I cant seem to find Your Multiplayer tutorail Part two..?

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 20:11
Ok I didnt Find The Tut by Vice.............

Unstable data
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 22:21
I maybe wrong, I have not tested this yet but going to. when you set the net connection it needs secion number and address so wouldn't ya put #.#.#.#:p where #.#.#.# is the IP address and p would be port number like;

I don't Know if that will work but I will be checking it out later to see, good luck

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 21:03:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 21:03:26