Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Harry Potter Online Text Game

Author
User Banned
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 07:03
This is awesome! You're really going all the way with this scripting thing. You practically wrote your own object oriented language! You should use this for PoPR too.
Quote: "Because my computer is on a network, you cannot connect directly to my IP address unless I use port forwarding on the router to say exactly which computer on the network you want to connect to."

Ah, now I understand. In that case, the Lego MMORPG actually works no different lol. But wait, then how come I can host games in DFBHD on a router and still have people able to connect? How do you think that's done?

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 08:13
Quote: "This is awesome! You're really going all the way with this scripting thing. You practically wrote your own object oriented language! You should use this for PoPR too."

Thanks, yeah, that's one of the difficulties in motivating myself to work on PoPR-the code is so messy because it's written over several years, so some parts are better written than others, but it's too much for me to restart now and stay motivated, I think.

Anyways, got dynamic variables working! Only took about an hour, much easier than I was expecting, so you can now do this for example:

If my name was Gil and my age was 21, it would show up as,
"McGonagall says, 'Hello, Gil. You are 21 years old.'"

So this adds a whole new element to making the AI seem smarter .

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
The conversation system looks really impressive. I'd love to see this in action.
Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 10:08
Looking better everytime I see it. Keep it up!

TheCleverGuyz
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2009 16:17
Very impressive! The flexibility and possibilities of that scripting language made me go all gooey-eyed.

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 07:10 Edited at: 14th Jul 2009 07:16
Quote: "The conversation system looks really impressive. I'd love to see this in action. "

Thanks, I think I'm going to hold on out on a video for a bit until I have something else to show as well, because I don't think the dialogue system by itself would be too interesting to watch, it's just fun to script and play .

Quote: "Looking better everytime I see it. Keep it up!"

Thanks .

Quote: "Very impressive! The flexibility and possibilities of that scripting language made me go all gooey-eyed."

Thanks, that's what I'm going for-flexibility .

Today I fixed a few minor bugs with it, added it some more triggers and actions. So far I'm very happy with what I have, and have done some pretty fun things with it already while just testing and playing around. One example, using only this much scripting code:

If the player speaks (talks to another NPC or says anything using "say") to someone other than her while in the same room, then it will come up with,

McGonagall tells you, 'There will be no talking in my class, <player.name>!'

where <player.name> shows up as the players name, obviously. Then, if you talk again after that (with 6 seconds of lenience), it comes up with:

McGonagall says to you, '<player.name>, if you can't learn to keep your mouth shut, I'll keep it shut for you!', and cast 'silencio' on you.

Causing the player to be unable to speak.

So that's just a small example of the cool and interactive things you could already script with the system (and it's only in it's infancy right now). Next I plan on adding NPC to NPC interactions, I had to work a full day today and tomorrow, but I have Wednesday off, so I'll probably try to implement that then, should be fun!

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 14:38
Wow, that looks really powerful.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 09:26 Edited at: 18th Jul 2009 09:30
Quote: "Wow, that looks really powerful."

Thanks, hopefully it will become even more as I add to it .

Quick update, spent the last few days working on npc to npc interaction, and finally finished. This allows NPCs to have conversations back and forth with each other based on various conditions, so they aren't just idly standing around when you aren't talking to them. For example, this script under the NPC Tom's section:

And this under Minerva's:

Would cause Minerva to initiate the conversation with the line:

Minerva asks, 'How are the potions going, <npc.name>?

If the script "No Talking" (defined in a part of the script not shown) had been fired and the npc wasn't already in another conversation. <npc.name> is filled in with whoever she's talking to. Then if the time was between 19:50 and 20:10, Tom would respond with:

Tom responds, 'They are going quite good, thanks, <npc.name>.'.

To which Minerva would reply:

Minerva responds, 'Good, glad to hear that. Anything else?'.

but if the time was past 20:10, Tom would say:

Tom responds, 'It's too late to talk, goodbye.'.

To which Minerva would reply:

Minerva responds, 'Ok, sorry about it being so late.'.

Obviously, the quality, seriousness, and usefulness of this example conversation is basically a joke just to test the functionality and most of the lines are whatever come off the top of my head at the moment I type them. So don't worry, they won't be so stupid and strange in the finished game, haha . So now my scripting language has 3 main structures:

Dialogue-Allows player to interact with an npc through a "tree" of choices.
Script-Allows npc to initiate interaction with player as well as perform any other events related to that NPC (anything from unlocking a door to teaching a class).
Conversation-Allows an npc to talk to (or act on in some way) another npc with conditional responses and actions.

The disadvantage to all this scripting so far is that I haven't made it MP compatible, which will be a pain, but doable, but I might put that off for now. Not sure what I'll do next, I'll just have to play around and decide .

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 12:47
Well, you could make the clients dumb; they don't know what's going in and out means, your server does all the text processing and interaction. This would make the synchronisation much easier too. Unless, of course you already did that.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 19:15
Wow, it's amazing how simple it looks to set up that system now that you've done all the groundwork. I'm very impressed.

Although I know nothing about MP, would it make sense to do what I assume NeX suggests, and basically carry out the conversations on the main server, and then send out notifications to all the players that, for example, Minerva has just said "How are the Potions going, Tom?"

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 19:36
Quote: "Well, you could make the clients dumb; they don't know what's going in and out means, your server does all the text processing and interaction. This would make the synchronisation much easier too. Unless, of course you already did that."

Yeah I've thought about that, and while that would make more sense if this was an MP-only game, I'm not sure how it would work since I have a SP and MP option :/.

Quote: "Wow, it's amazing how simple it looks to set up that system now that you've done all the groundwork. I'm very impressed. "

Thanks .

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 21:50
Well, how about this: By default, the program connects to whatever IP is given. If no IP is given or it can't connect, it automatically starts hosting a server, therefore providing server-side functionality to single-player.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 22:20
Yeah, a localhost server for SP. Quake, etc. do this.

Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 22:39
Actually, I was trying to implement a system like that myself a while back. It worked pretty well, only the chat was really messed up so I abandoned the project.

WINNER list:
Latch, Lee Bamber, TDK
Thanks for the help!
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 00:59
I'm sure the game will get more than a few fans after the release of the newest movie.
wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 03:01
Gil, You afk on aim, so im asking here if i can add your project on my new website Youll get full credit ofc and ill update it as often as possible.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 01:52
Quote: "Well, how about this: By default, the program connects to whatever IP is given. If no IP is given or it can't connect, it automatically starts hosting a server, therefore providing server-side functionality to single-player."

Quote: "Yeah, a localhost server for SP. Quake, etc. do this.
"

Ok, done, thanks .

Quote: "I'm sure the game will get more than a few fans after the release of the newest movie. "

Yeah, I'm hoping that's the case .

So, sorry for the lack of updates, I was on vacation for the past week, so didn't get much done then. Here's a list of things I've done with it since the last update:
-Added shop system
-Improved and streamlined scripting system for objects and object types
-Designed Diagon Alley (added about 10 rooms from it, there are about 75 rooms total though, just a pain to add them all so I only do a bit at a time)
-Added "introduce" command so that you only see NPC and player descriptions if you haven't been introduced
-Text Wrapping (Yay!)
-Added option to assign a "name" (custom keyword) to an object to be used with spells.
-Added spell "Accio"
-Improved potion system

Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 11:42
Looking better everytime I see it.

TheCleverGuyz
Kohaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 14:27
This project looks very promising. Kind of make me want to work on a MUD again...

Anyway, as a bit of a HP fan I'll have to give it a go at some point.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 12:05:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 12:05:13