Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / MP3-Shooter - Download now available

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 01:21 Edited at: 6th Aug 2009 11:57
Hi there,

Past couple of months I've been working now and then on my latest game project called 'MP3-SHOOTER'.

This shoot-em-up uses the frequency of sound in mp3s to spawn enemies and trigger visual fx.

The game is by no means finished but before I continue I'd like to receive some feedback!

Please have a look and let me know what you think can be improved!!

You can download the latest version from here
http://www.zieners-hosting.nl/hailstone/index.php?item=gamesoverview

UPDATE : Movie on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS45YQJSYgA

BlueKlayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 08:46
Wow, looks great I am downloading it now. Can't wait to play.

Enjoy me, I am JDmino.
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2009 23:29
/me downloads

Your signature was erased by a mod because you copied mine!
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 00:33
great game! but u have to make more things to the shop also make it so u can die and so the music browser scrolls down when u have a lot of music =P atm u cant have too many, so they go outta the screen, it wont scrollXD cool game =P cant wait til its finished

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Kaisertal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2009 13:36
thanks Quik! I'll fix those things

Any suggestions/ideas for items to buy in the shop? Someone suggested background effects
Kaisertal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 22:57
If anyone want to give this game another try, I've just put a new version online.

These are some of the updates/fixes:

- You can now have 200 MP3's in your folder AND scroll up and down the list.
- Enemies spawn more accurately as the Stage number increases (read: spawns MORE enemies)
- Total amount of coins is displayed in-game
- Game crash when selecting a non existing track is fixed.
- Trophies didn't pop-up correctly, or at all. That's fixed as well.
- 'Now playing' added in Main menu to highlight which track is playing.

download is listed here : http://www.zieners-hosting.nl/hailstone/index.php?item=gamesoverview
Kaisertal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 01:47 Edited at: 6th Aug 2009 01:48
Nobody here seems too interested in this game, but for who is; I've put another update online for download and feedback!

The key updates are:

- Added new Shop item : Heavy Bullets
- Rudimentary joypad support (it's a start)
- The Trophy system is now really fixed
- New enemy graphics
- New front/end menu graphics
- Much better frame rate

Download is here: http://www.zieners-hosting.nl/hailstone/downloads/MP3-Shooter-20090805.rar
AFishStudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 04:49 Edited at: 6th Aug 2009 04:50
Interesting game. It was pretty cool in the start when the soft was soft and nothing was going on, then once the song got into it and the drums kicked in the explosions of guys that come out in sync was awesome.

Though I have two suggestions. I found that there was way too many dudes on screen, and a personal opinion; I don't quite like the whole 3d sprites. For these types of games staying true 2D with colourful effects would look much more pleasing. But that's my opinion.

Anyways great job and will be keeping a watch on this one.

Btw is there any chance of changing the screen resolution?
n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 05:41
Yay another game where Dragonforce creates an impossible level.

"I have faith, that I shall win the race, even though I have no legs, and am tied to a tree." ~Mark75
Lucky 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Downloading this now because it looks great. Will leave feedback as soon as I can.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 20:45 Edited at: 6th Aug 2009 20:46
Cool game. Seems very pro. Great concept. A bit like Barcode Battlers. Workings are very slick. Nice trophy system. Cool graphics. No significant slowdown issues. First time i ran it i got a crash. May have had two instances running. Worked fine after that.

Tiny grumbles: using shift or capslock in the name entry means the characters you try to enter won't register. Also with short songs, you have to play through a load of nothingness until the timer runs out.

Game itself could do with being a bit more exciting. There is no danger, and with my limited motor skills and the size of the ship's apparent "collision zone", it seems that actually aiming for the coins doesn't win you much. Choose the right song, hold down fire and spaz around in circles. Actaully, i figure the best tactics might involve not getting side, back shots, maybe just diagonal fronts and heavy shots. Then you can destroy enemies more surgically, and rush in to collect the dense array of coins straight after they explode. But i bought the powerups, so i can't try that without resetting.

I found Lamb sucked for this, but Paul Oakenfold was better. Presumably you need to get a really crazy track to get the last trophies. Howabout some bundled tracks with the game? I had a job finding some to put in the folder, plus if there are a few standardised tracks, you can have score tables for them so people can compare scores more directly.

You planning on making any more Kaisertal? I remember that being really awesome. The second level, what there was of it, seemed to be the perfect balance between in control and out of control. I felt like such a badass playing that. Some other cool projects on your page. The new one abot a robot/jet guy sounds sweet.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 05:28
Cool game, Blasted my metalica to this, Blasted Linkin park, And Rocked out With Paramore, But the game wasnt.............challangeing enough.........? but hey, Good job.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The game is a great idea, but the actual gameplay, and sound capturing needs some work.

Kaisertal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 00:28 Edited at: 9th Aug 2009 00:30
Thanks a lot for the feedback so far!

@AFishStudios: Yeah there can be too many enemies on the screen. I was worried that it wouldn't be exiting enough with fewer. But I probably need to tone it down a little
I wish I new how to program the option to change the screen resolution from within the game. If anyone reading this can point me in the right direction?

@DrTank: Yes the game can crash quite easily! if you alt+tab to another app, run it twice or activate another app while loading this one, it will crash. I'm afraid this is default Darkbasic behavior..... The capslock and shift sound easy to fix, short songs can be detected as well, will fix that too!
Cool that you are thinking about tactics how to play this, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Regarding making it more exciting, I was experimenting with killing the player if he collides with enemies, but that ruined the fun a bit, so I need to think about some other options here.
Great suggestion about the bundled tracks. I'm going to chase a musician I know for this! The Score tables could even go online, I still have code for that from Kaisertal. Great to hear that you enjoyed that game btw! I might continue it one day.

@Dark Dragon: I haven't tried any of those songs yet but can imagine that it can get rather.. hectic!
Agreed the game needs to be more challenge, will work on that

@Pincho Paxton: What do you mean by 'sound capturing needs more work'? It should be pretty accurate to the music, but in case it isn't I'd like to know what kind of songs you're playing, and then I can have a look to see if I can fix this!
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 04:42
Quote: "I wish I new how to program the option to change the screen resolution from within the game. If anyone reading this can point me in the right direction?"

It's actually not very difficult. Simply re-set the display mode with Set Display Mode, then just re-load all your images and re-create all your sprites.

i like orange
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Pincho Paxton: What do you mean by 'sound capturing needs more work'? It should be pretty accurate to the music, but in case it isn't I'd like to know what kind of songs you're playing, and then I can have a look to see if I can fix this!"

It's accurate to the music bass, but how about making the sprites create nicer patterns. Create swarms of sprite patterns on the first beat, then have a timer() delay that instead of pasting new sprites, just makes the sprite swarms alter their flight paths. So they change direction left, and right to the music (like a twisting snake flight pattern for example)

Kaisertal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 11:17
Ah yes I see what you mean and totally agree!
I had this on my todo list for a while already, so will start on this soon
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 04:43
that would be cool

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 00:45:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 00:45:24