Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / U Ever notice?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 05:27
If you pause,resume, then loop a midi,the midi plays back in piano?! I think thats REALLY Cool, because now you can have upto 64 Tracks(32 and then 32 piano versions!, tho thats kinda limiting anyway...)

so all you gotta do is this -
Hit return To Start the music, then hit it again to hear the piano version!

Cool, Huh?

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 23:33
Erm.............................40 views with no feed back? whats up with that?

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you pause,resume, then loop a midi,the midi plays back in piano?! I think thats REALLY Cool, because now you can have upto 64"

This is what's happening:

Midi is basically a bunch of events; on/off switches, note numbers, timing, things like that. Each microsecond, the events are looked at to tell the midi controller or the midi device (the thing that plays back the midi - sound card, keyboard, etc) what to do.

Some events are sent every time a midi note plays: what's the timing, the note number, the velocity (how fast was the note activated - similar to how hard was the note played) - the channel to play on, and there are other events. An instrument change, is not necessarily sent with the other midi events. It's usually only sent at the beginning or whenever a channel needs to change to a different instrument sound.

When you stop or pause midi, depending on the playback software or hardware, it resets all of the events to defaults. For instruments, that default is instrument 0, which happens to be piano. So when you resume playback, the other events go on playing correctly because they are sent with each time code, but the instruemnt has been set to 0 and will only change when it comes upon another instrument change event.

So, it's not really giving you more tracks. You could accomplish much more varied combinations of instruments if you put instrument program change events in the midi file.

Enjoy your day.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 01:53
ACk....man......I thought i had somthing here.

Quote: "You could accomplish much more varied combinations of instruments if you put instrument program change events in the midi file."

so how could i go about doing that?

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 02:35 Edited at: 18th Aug 2009 02:43
Well, you need a midi editing program of some kind. Anvil Studio is a pretty good one full of features. It's pretty easy to use and there is a free version that will more than do the job. Of course, if you aren't familiar with music composition programs then it may be difficult to try and figure out what you want to do, but still, Anvil is one of the easiest I've seen for the amount of features it has.

Enjoy your day.
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2009 02:37
Cool,Latch. Will Check Out When I Get Home, Cuz I'm On My pSp's 3G Right Now.

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(> < )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 18:00:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 18:00:24