Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Objects disappearing Top, and Bottom ...Is this a bug in DB?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When an object is near the top, or bottom of my monitor it disappears. Is this a bug in DB? (Looks like some sort of clipping bug).

Can it be fixed?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be the clipping plane. It isn't a bug, to change the distance at which objects are clipped, use SET CAMERA RANGE

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2009 05:57 Edited at: 20th Aug 2009 06:03
I have set the camera range 1 to 100000 already, and it still clips top, and bottom. It just seems to happen to my planet, but the other things are Ok. Maybe because my planet is pretty huge. I want to be able to land on the planet, so it needs to be pretty huge. Not sure though, because I halved it's size, and it still clipped.

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Try changing the Cameras Field of View (I believe SET CAMERA FOV). Note that it is in radians, but it could just be a little too wide

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I think it's the size of the sphere specifically. Is there any way you can fake the approach? Perhaps an atmosphere of clouds and the planet itself disappears and you replace the planet with a ground before the ship lands?

Here's a quick example of using a large plain instead of a sphere for the initial approach. Steer with mouse. Up arrow/down arrow for movement:

Enjoy your day.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for replies. I reduced the planet size, and adjusted the FOV, it fixed the problem. Just need to slow the ship down now as the FOV increased its speed dramatically.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2009 18:35
You don't need to slow the ship down. I am almost certain you set the sync rate to 0. Set it to 60. Otherwise every computer you run your game on will run at different speeds.

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2009 02:23 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2009 02:25
I use timer() to control the speed of the game as it seems to work smoother. I tied the 60fps lock, and the game was jerky. Timer() is actually smoother at 40fps than the 60fps Sync rate lock.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 20:43
When you adjust the FOV it will appear to adjust the ship's speed; for example if you widened the FOV you'll think it's going slower because you can see more of the space it's traveling through. You've effectively "zoomed out".
It might be the other way round I can't remember.

TGC Forum - converting error messages into sarcasm since 2002.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 00:10:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 00:10:04