Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / This board is dwindling.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2009 18:17
seriously, anyone else notice we have started going days without any posts on here?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Aug 2009 19:38 Edited at: 25th Aug 2009 19:39
Yup. I first noticed that a year or so ago. Sometimes I'd post a question, and it would be a day or two before I got a response.

Probably what's contributing the most to the lack of posts here is that most people aren't using DarkBASIC Classic anymore. A lot of people have also moved on to DBPro, and so this board is getting less and less traffic.

Another thing is that since DBC doesn't work that well on Vista, and most people are switching over to that OS or Windows 7 (when it comes out), they're purchasing the software that supports their hardware and DirectX9 or above.

But do not fret. Despite all of that, many people who still use and love DBC will still undoubtedly post here. And many people will still produce games with it. I plan to make a small game after the summer ends, and perhaps this time I'll actually finish it.

Click to go to our website!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2009 20:40
yepper, we are gonna DIE Soon.....

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2009 20:55
No we are not. We can not let ourselves be taken by the dark side of the force. We must fight!

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
They may take our new members but they cannot take our pride!!!

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
It goes through periods of activity. Usually comes down in spring and in autumn. Picks up around December and June. Have you every read the DBPro forum? The same questions get asked over and over and over again. That happens on this board too, but because of the low volume, it's not as constant.

And overall, DBC makes more sense to me in terms of it being a BASIC language. DBPro has data type declarations, sturctures, DLLs, compiling, C,C++ integration... It would make more sense to me to just use a lower level language. With DBC, just type and go.

Enjoy your day.
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2009 01:45
Quote: "And overall, DBC makes more sense to me in terms of it being a BASIC language. DBPro has data type declarations, sturctures, DLLs, compiling, C,C++ integration... It would make more sense to me to just use a lower level language. With DBC, just type and go."

I'm not really sure if having a lot of features reduces a language's qualifications of being BASIC. BlitzMax is a fantastic BASIC language that has even more features than DBP--it's object-oriented, it allows you to inline C/C++ code directly in your BM source, it gives you direct access to OpenGL, etc. and these features do not detract from it's "BASIC-ness". Granted, I understand that many of you like DBC because it forces you to work around it's flaws and it challenges you, but sometimes the extra power offered by more "complete" languages like DBP or BM is necessary.

i like orange
Irojo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2009 02:08
I think it's in a high point...

DarkNOOBS, TDK's back, the board has had a real boost in activity.

Time is money. I just ripped you off.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm not really sure if having a lot of features reduces a language's qualifications of being BASIC. BlitzMax is a fantastic BASIC language that has even more features than DBP--it's object-oriented, it allows you to inline C/C++ code directly in your BM source, it gives you direct access to OpenGL, etc. and these features do not detract from it's "BASIC-ness""

Good point. I'm guess I'm looking at it from my own perspective which is if you have to continually add the components of C/C++ to use additional features, then it's probably time to move on to C/C++ instead of another BASIC.

Enjoy your day.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 21:08
I think I need to start posting in this board again.
I sort of got away from programming over the run of the summer, which is a shame because I was just starting to get the hang of the more advanced things (using arrays, 2-D graphics (they can be advanced!),and subroutines).

I'm currently on an older computer my dad brought home from his office, and it doesn't have that advanced of a graphics card. But it can still run older PC games, and dang!, they look good. So I plan on switching over to this computer for game development with DBC. I have an idea for a game, and I believe if I developed it on this computer it would run really well on others in the future. I just need to learn a few more things, like learning how to save progress in a game and then loading saved game files...can anyone help me out with this? Please? I'll give you a cookie.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Aug 2009 00:26
Never mind. After testing and such, I've discovered this computer isn't that great for running 3D things made with DarkBASIC Classic.

So I guess I'll just have to stick to my old way of programming on the other computer. Just use low specs.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2009 23:25
School just started for a lot of people, probably has something to do with the post decline.

[url="http://www.nocleanfeed.com"][/url]
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 03:04
thus....why i'm not posting....that much

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2009 07:00
besides school, people also have to have a break from forums to use what they have learned from reading a lot of stuff on them too

bluestar4~
---Missle Might - Hero Battles - Zillipede --- which do you like the best ?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 20:17:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 20:17:48