Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Been away awhile and I need some direction

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 01:01
Greetings everyone

Last year in school I finished up my Game Development course in school, and things were going pretty well. However, I am a procrastinator and life kind of got in the way for awhile. Since the end of school, I really haven't worked on coding at all.

I would like to resume work and get learning more. I want to start making games and stuff, and I need to learn DM well before I can do that :p I have a pacman-esque game made now and another that works with only sounds and pressing keys to move on (like those old Goosebump option-table books). If you'd all like I could put the code for those games up and the files needed for them so you can look at what I've done.

But I digress.

The main thing I'm looking for is tutorials. I need to brush up my coding and get some direction on where to move on to next.

I know that before any big game-making can be done I need to do small things, and I plan on making small games for right now. Any and all tutorials on useful things you can find would be helpful. There's also many mini-games and programs and such in the help files here I can work on, too, which I will be doing. I just need somewhere to go ^_^

Oh, and I needn't worry about 3D graphics yet. I am simply going to be working with the basic shape-making that's in DB. That's what I've done so far, and it works fine haha. I don't need to worry about 3D rendering and objects until I can get a firm handle on DM.

Thank you for the help

All hope is lost when one subjects to the malevolence of apathy. ~by me~
Trust in someone is a greater compliment than love. ~By me~
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 08:01
Tutorials for DB? If you go to DarkBASIC discussion, you will notice stickied threads at the top of the board:

Most of these are tutorials. Just click and explore.

Also, if you have DBC, you should have a folder in your DB directory called "help\examples". You can access it by pressing f1 in your editor, or going into the folder and looking for what you need. That folder is stuffed with source code for learning from.

TheComet

Make the paths of your enemies easier with WaypointPro!
Enigma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 09:15
I said.... "There's also many mini-games and programs and such in the help files here I can work on, too,"

So I know of the help files :p

And yeah, I've seen those. I was just wondering if there were any that are preferable or anything.

I've started TDK's tutorials.

Thanks

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Enigma,

A great method for learning is by doing. The more you code, the more you can code! So, try participating in the DBC challenges, and also try participating in a DarkNOOB's project. Having to program a specific thing, sort of forces one to put on their thinking caps and sets a goal.

Enjoy your day.
Enigma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2009 23:23
Thanks, Latch

I'm not so sure I would be ready for that, yet. However, there are some things (specifics) I can put my mind to right now to get going.

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 05:33 Edited at: 16th Oct 2009 05:34
To be fair, I agree with Latch, the Challenges are a great way to learn techniques. As you said you are a procrastinator (much like myself), having a goal to work with means that you are more likely to overcome the obstacles instead of getting distracted by something else. The programs do not need to be particularly complex to enter, but they often focus on one area of building a program so if there's an area of which you're unsure, then they're a great way to develop your expertise in an area. Also, you can see other people's code for their entries, which often helps a lot in your own coding projects.

EDIT: Sorry I've just seen I'm resuscitating this thread from the dead somewhat didn't realise how long it had been since the last post.

"A West Texas girl, just like me"
-Bush

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 00:05:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 00:05:16