Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Competition entry: Mercenaries in Space

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2003 10:48
the grid and backdrop is a nice effect, makes it feel contempary or futuristic.

http://www.lunarpixel.com
It's already tomorrow in Australia
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2003 14:33
Quote: "the grid and backdrop is a nice effect, makes it feel contempary or futuristic."

Thank you - just a textured plain!

Quote: "How do you get that kinda speed?"

a) fast computer (similar spec to the juding pc which is useful)
b) a lot of this is very low poly - the highest poly thing is there is probably the planets. The nebulae / explosions are all very, very simple

Added an asteroid field effect to the game. Please excuse me if I do not post here every day, my free time has sudenly disappeared after the summer and so I won't be posting all the time.

Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
Bus station = where bus stops. Train station = where train stops. Workstation = ?
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2003 10:31
Quote: "ps - There was some music included with project aqua, valse de concerto, that i'd like to use in my game. Can I? Is it copyright free?
"

The rules said that any media you didn't create must include WRITTEN permission. I would assume they would wan't you to include that with your game.

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2003 15:05
Valse de concerto is classical music, so I was just asking wriggler if I could use it out of politeness.

Music like Mozart / Beethoven isn't copyrighted, is it? I thought that music was out of copyright.

There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
Bus station = where bus stops. Train station = where train stops. Workstation = ?
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2003 16:50
well some classical beethoven or whatever comes as sample music with windows xp so i dont know if bill gates gave beethovens's relatives a huge fat cheque or he just stuck it in.

"It's amazin' what you can do with a computer and access to t'internet"
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2003 19:59
I hope my compo game(s) can compete with this.

If you need anyone to beta/alpha test, just give me an e-mail or contact me here on the forums.

yellow1dbp@hotmail.com(that's my msn and e-mail)

system specs.
1.7 ghz processor with built in sound card.
8500 radeon
1024 ddr ram.

Best of luck David89.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2003 21:54 Edited at: 7th Sep 2003 21:54
just don't make it too good

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 08:35
hehee, nice, AI sure is a bummer for programmers

DreamersScars-Toiletfreak-
If you need a animated chara go here... It isn't that great but it'll do as a tester model thingy http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/index.html
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 23:12 Edited at: 8th Sep 2003 23:13
Very

got basic building in now. Next step would be tying that in with AI so there's a C&C style bar at the side where you create units, like dark konflict.

Just an opinion poll of sorts: How do you want units to appear if you have more than one shipyard?

- Make it limited to only one shipyard
- Select a shipyard then click the button at the side (how would you then keep track of units build progress?)
- No shipyards, when ready they appear at a mouse co-ord (within reason - not in the middle of enemy territory)

Yellow: if I do need any then you're on the list

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 23:23
You make me cry. I need that pc, my specs:

128 MB RAM
Pentium II
win 98
ATI 3D Rage Pro Version 092

And my entry can't compete with that.

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
"hey, it's tomorrow" --- Hamish
Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 05:40
Good point,

David89, you've got a pretty bumped up comp, we sad peeps with pooro comps(like me) need the prize more than you, especially mattman(lol, how do you even use something like that, don't you have access to a better comp).

Not to discourage you, do actually submit it(if you get around finishing it), it'll be interesting to see what happens, it is a competition after all.

If you need a animated chara go here... It isn't that great but it'll do as a tester model thingy http://users.tpg.com.au/users/cnkyk8k2/index.html
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 16:28
That's what i program db on.

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 16:29
I say, don't submit and go commercial. If you submit, TGC can sell it

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 20:07
i've not undertsand the rules for sure.
It is ok to use the alien only for the boss???
In my game, the aliens are everywhere, and just whait to bite your ass.

Free Download for a Free World
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 20:23
David89, you've got a pretty bumped up comp, we sad peeps with pooro comps(like me) need the prize more than you, especially mattman(lol, how do you even use something like that, don't you have access to a better comp).
Not to discourage you, do actually submit it(if you get around finishing it), it'll be interesting to see what happens, it is a competition after all.

One advantage to "having a bumped up comp" is that I know almost exactly how it will play on the judging machine.

And I think I'll still enter it this is a competition for games, not sob stories about how bad a computer you have

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2003 00:37
but, but

At least give me the one you are using now, lol

Toilet Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2003 05:59
hehee...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2003 18:22
the competition comp is still far better than most peoples machines here
... that aside i regularly use a P2-266 and Durom800 for my programming and art needs, infact i use my Duron w/GeForceFx more often than any other comp - even my laptop which travels everywhere with me.

Might not be the fastest, but i kinda get attached to a single system and use that until i ABSOLUTELY must let it go - which is no doubt why i even had my old Cyrix systems up til last year.

-- -- --

as this is for the comp then you really don't have to worry too much about it playing well on other computers, just the competition one. If you want to then go retail with it no doubt you can tone it back a bit, set it up to be more optimised and everything like that - but right now the worry should be purely on the gameplay rather than polycounts, pipeline counts and graphics.

the GeForceFX 5900 ultra 256mb is a beastie of a card, which can handle alot on its own ... with that being on a 3ghz Pentium4 HT processor - it no doubt outperforms almost everyone elses comp here, so really ya'll can let you imaginations loose.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:25:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:25:52