Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Question to all music makers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 17:50
I’m wondering which type of music file is the best from the list below can you rate them on a scale of 10, on:
a) Easy of creation
b) Quality of music produced
c) How well they can be used in games

The file types are:
1) Midi files
2) Mp3 or similar
3) Any Tracker files (ie MOD)
Skid
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 18:53
I won't give a rating on ease of creation because its really how well you know your programs and how skilled you are, IMHO.

Midi Files:

Quality: 2
Use in Games: 9

The quality is variable because it depends partly on the users PC. That said they rarely sound good - although theres a few techniques that can make them sound almost bearable.

Their main advantages are that the files are VERY small in size and don't drain a lot of system resources when in use.

MP3 files:
Quality: 10
How well they can be used: 7
Largest file sizes of the 3 types you've listed but not so large as to be prohibitive. More draining on system resources but the one that sounds the best on average for many reasons. The files can be made by recording the other types playing or converting WAVs so the question about ease of use is irrelevant really.

MODs:

Never really used tracker programs as I couldn't get into them. I'm much happier using a sequencer but there are many that swear by trackers. I understand the quality is a lot better than MIDI files because you can specify the sounds you use. I think. Also the files are smaller than, say, an MP3.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 20:47
1) Midi files
I use them when I want to make small archive ( because some peoples don't have fast connection . . .

2) Mp3 or similar
I use them for wuality ( then archive are bigger ! )

3) Any Tracker files (ie MOD)
I used trackers in the past ( on Amiga )
a .MOD ( or .XM .S3M ) can be good quality if sample are high quality sample . . .
That a bit not good as MP3 but can produce longer musics with smaller files than MP3 .

Then in quality order :
MP3 , MOD , MID

In file size order :
MID , MOD , MP3

For all others things , I agreeing with GCEclipse.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 22:34
The thing about MP3's is you have to license them if your software sells over a certain amount of copies...

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 23:52
I don't really know because I never really go into makeing music but the way that i've seen it from download Trackers and MOD, mp3 and things like EJay i think its called, i would rate them as follows:

1a)7 *Resonably easy to make if you know what your doing*
b)6 *only being able to use basic effects and one set of intramest limites it alot*
c)8 *Can run well fast and loop good as well*

2a)5 *depending on how you make them*
b)9 *Great quality, can diss a well made mp3*
c)7 *I don't really like the pause at the end of all mp3's from were it reloads*

3a)3 *Dam hard to make good tunes*
b)9 *But only if your REALLY good at it and spend lots of time working on it*
c)9 *Main resons is there used in games all over the place and one really good advantage to this is that you can get it to loop from a serton part of the tune, so you can have a begin part and then the rest of the song*

If i can get the time i'll up load an exsample of a well made MOD if i can find it, i'll also give a location of something you can use to play it

Skid

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-28 11:16:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-28 11:16:58