Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Iridium! [Space arcade game]

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 16:40 Edited at: 17th Mar 2010 17:09

Attached is a very early Demo. Updated 16th March 2010!

Controls:
WASD - Move ship
double tap left/right to roll (and avoid some damage)
mousemove - aim
L-click - fire
R-click - fire EMP
Spacekey - afterburners
1->3 - select primary weapon
4 - select secondary weapon (this will be disabled in finished game)
Wingmen:
L-Shift+L-click - Select friendly/wingman
+/- recruit/release selected friendlies/wingmen
T - selected friendlies attack/defend target (under mouse)
F - all wingmen regroup

Added:
Menu
New enemies
New ranged weapons ('Laser strike' and 'Drone')
Levels 1-4
Music by 'Desert Planet'!! (in 41Mb download not attached but available below)

Download the attached file at 7.6Mb or use the 41Mb link below for full music from 'Desert Planet':
http://www.filefront.com/15849377/Iridium.zip

cheers!
baxslash

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 17:27
Yeah dude, it's a good start.

I like the 3Dness of it all. the ship roll is nice, although maybe making the player invulnerable when rolling?

I do kinda think that the movement felt unfair. You (the player) move in a constant upward direction with the keys controlling left and right strafe, but your enemies has total freedom of movement and rotation. Maybe you need to either need to limit the enemies to scrolling down the screen, or allow the player freedom of forward motion in 360 degrees.

I like it as an early concept, reminds me of my first commercial game! oooh oooh I forgot, you should add a turret or something that rotates to the mouse aim direction!

Anyway, it's a good early start. hope it continues!
Peace.
J

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 17:50
Quote: "although maybe making the player invulnerable when rolling?"

Just finished this you mind reader!

Quote: "you should add a turret or something that rotates to the mouse aim direction!"

I really like this idea, it's in!

Quote: "I do kinda think that the movement felt unfair"

I agree to an extent... actually though you can move in any direction already it just doesn't seem like it cause the ship points forward. I don't want to turn this into an asteroids clone by making the movement 'thrust' oriented so maybe I'll try rotating the ship as it moves around, but then how would the roll thing work... hmmm...

Food for thought!

In the meantime I just finished looking at that post on "Hate" and I'm inspired by the video @Green7 posted!! I'm going to make everything in this game from 3D 'pixels' and pixelate the background textures. When you hear the music you'll understand why, it's really got me excited!

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 19:25
nice! but the AI is kinda bad, few things i noticed:
if i keep the mouse at the top-right and spam clicking i just dont get hit, and kill them all before they even get close, you should make various spawning positions
sometimes the turning stuck
no much space to move around, how about full-screen? and scrolling background.

that's it for now, it was really nice, spent some time with it untill i realized that i can spam top-right to win

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2010 22:37
Could you post some screen shots??

The byte chrunchers are coming...
DIVIDING BY ZERO/BECAUSE WE SUCK...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 12:10
Quote: "the AI is kinda bad"

This is a VERY early demo, don't worry the AI will be different for different enemies and far better in time!!

Quote: "if i keep the mouse at the top-right and spam clicking i just dont get hit"

Sure, try the new demo in the first post and remember how early this is (two days work at the most!)

Quote: "Could you post some screen shots??"

Sure!

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2010 18:57
If the background image is static, may I suggest downloading some of the images from the Hubble Space Telescope? It's been a while since I've read their license, but if I remember correctly, the images are free to use for personal and commercial purposes.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/main/index.html

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 21:26
Thanks but I think you're missing the point. I'm not aiming for realism here. The image has been pixelated on purpose...

I've got a clear idea building for this game and it'll become more clear next time I build a demo (which will be more complete for this very reason).

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 22:18
I personally don't think the pixelly effect works in this case.

I can understand why people use it, but when they do, everything else is just as pixelly; it doesn't work here because the ships and stars aren't pixelly to the same degree. So it just looks a bit silly.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 22:32 Edited at: 28th Feb 2010 22:33
Quote: "it doesn't work here because the ships and stars aren't pixelly to the same degree"

Agreed, which is why I just spent the last hour and a half working on new models and textures for the ships...

Examples:

EDIT:
Quote: "and stars aren't pixelly"

The stars are literally a pixel...

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm excited to see how this game turns out! After odd blox this game is sure to be amazing!

---
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 22:50
I hope so! I'm aiming for something more "Game" oriented this time. The music (or some of it) will be by a band called "Desert Planet":
http://www.desertplanet.com/

I've already spoken to them and they want me to use their music for this game (I'm waiting for a selection I can use!)

I want there to be a few different elements to it so you have space stations, planets and bases to explore as part of the mission system as well as the more "arcade" style space battles.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2010 23:21
xD
Well the ships may fit, but the stars won't.

Regardless of whether the stars are a pixel, they still aren't at the same pixellyness as the ships and background.

I mean that's like saying this picture is pixelly just because it's made of pixels xD
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 09:54
@C0wbox,

OK, you have me there but I thought the stars looked pretty retro as they are but I value your opinion so...

How does this look?

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 10:33
Yeah, I'm loving the pixely style!!

I like the new ships and player, but I kind of agree with cowbox. I think that if you're going to go with the "big 3d pixels" look, then you gotta do everything like that, you can't simply photoshop pixelate the backdrop, you'll have to make little pixel stars, pixel planets etc!

Maybe you should have a standard sized cube for everything.

You could actually make the ships out of limbs and position cubes at the limbs, then have each cube get blasted off as the enemy takes damage...

Anyway, yes. It sounds like a cool idea for a game...now... stop coding and go plan it out!

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 10:48
Quote: "Maybe you should have a standard sized cube for everything"

I was thinking the same thing but I may have to have several different sized cubes as I want to have people too...

If I just have one size it screws up the story side of the game as all of my people would need to be the size of say, one cube!

I'm going to have a serious re-think on the design as I want to tick the boxes I've already set for myself.

Quote: "stop coding and go plan it out!"

You mean look before you leap? Where's the fun in that?!

I'll stop coding when you rip the keyboard from my cold dead hands!!!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 12:31
Quote: "How does this look?"

Heh, that's still not pixelly to the same degree.

I'd make it 1 full sized pixel per star (the size of the ones in the background) for a true retro theme.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 12:57
I used to be known for going too far but I can see I've become too conservative in my old age...

Well, never let it be said that I don't listen to people's opinions. Total revamp will occur sometime soon on the graphics front! Until then forget I even posted this (you guys bring out the best in me but I HATE you all for it!)

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 14:21
hmm, I think the danger area you move into if you use different sized cubes is that people are going to start thinking of lego. Maybe you just need to have a multi-cube texture that you can scale the same as the cubes for larger surfaces?

Quote: "You mean look before you leap? Where's the fun in that?!"

to paraphrase the famous B.Lightyear, "I mean flying, not falling with style."

but seriously, we have alot in common in that we are both prolific project starters, but neither of us really finish stuff. Naughty Naughty. With my latest projects I've started planning everything on paper first (even pointless stuff like variable names). This has made me more determined to finish, as I've invested more than just programming time.

Anyway, I like this. I think that it has alot of potential for that "stylised simplicity" we've been talking about.

Peas!

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 14:53
Quote: "I think the danger area you move into if you use different sized cubes is that people are going to start thinking of lego"

I see your point...

Quote: "Maybe you just need to have a multi-cube texture that you can scale the same as the cubes for larger surfaces?"

Maybe but then the ships would look complex from a distance, I like the blocky look I'm using right now. I think when I make the transition between being in the ship to coming out of it it'll work right if the different sized blocks are REALLY different.

Also I was thinking of making the planets shaped like cubes, while my son was keeping me awake last night I even worked out a theory for the physics of the universe that might explain planets shaped like cubes (if only I could remember it!)...

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 16:57
Quote: " I even worked out a theory for the physics of the universe that might explain planets shaped like cubes"

Haha, my mate tyrone sells these pink tablets that make you do stuff like that.

I think I see what you're getting at with the big cubes now. So it would almost work on a level of scale...like people would be one scale, ships another and planets another? how are you considering doing the people? 1 cube pixel for the head (and super basic) or say.. 16 cubes on the face - so there can be detail?

I want robotic legs.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 17:03
Quote: "1 cube pixel for the head (and super basic) or say.. 16 cubes on the face - so there can be detail?"

I'm only guessing but somewhere in the middle. I want to exaggerate the 'pixel' look as much as possible.

Quote: "Haha, my mate tyrone sells these pink tablets that make you do stuff like that."

I would never condone the use of drugs to assist in creativity, since when did that work? Other than Jimmy Hendrix, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones... what's your friends number? [joking of course]

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 20:07
That's pretty nice. The mechanic is a bit unusual what with the WASD movement depending on your shipo rotation, unlike stuff like Geometry Wars. I guess you couldn't have the barrel roll mechanic otherwise.

You can just spam left or right and be constantly rolling and avoid all shots. You should fix that.

The whole pixel thing I'm not too sure about. The background being pixelly means that the blocks it's made up of are really really big, and it's also odd because it's blocky as a picture, rather than looking like a volume of stuff made of blocks.

I think it might be better to have the spaceships all blocky, but the background not so. That would make for better visual distinction between stuff in the game you should be concentrating on, and stuff that's just pretty.

Also, it seems drag is very high. It's odd that if you leave the mouse cursor in one spot and hold a/d, you can go in a circle, where you should spiral outward. Maybe you could reduce the drag a bit. Also, perhaps use curvevalue to reduce the immediacy of the ship rotation - otherwise you can move the mouse quickly through the ship, and it changes directly immediately.

I hope I don't seem overcritical. Your project is promising, and that's why I invested time in this rant. Good luck.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 21:14
Quote: "You can just spam left or right and be constantly rolling and avoid all shots"

I'll just reduce the damage to a percentage, it'll be more realistic. Thanks.

Quote: "The whole pixel thing I'm not too sure about. The background being pixelly means that the blocks it's made up of are really really big, and it's also odd because it's blocky as a picture, rather than looking like a volume of stuff made of blocks."

I just ditched the background for similar reasons. I like the idea of a volume of blocks! I think I'll render a scene of solid blocks to make something like you are suggesting as a test forthe next demo.

Quote: "I think it might be better to have the spaceships all blocky, but the background not so. That would make for better visual distinction between stuff in the game you should be concentrating on, and stuff that's just pretty."

Maybe I'll blur the render or something, testing time!

Quote: "It's odd that if you leave the mouse cursor in one spot and hold a/d, you can go in a circle, where you should spiral outward"

Yes, that's a good point. I'll add a little outward movement!

Quote: "Also, perhaps use curvevalue to reduce the immediacy of the ship rotation"

Again another valid point!

Quote: "I hope I don't seem overcritical"

Not at all!

Thanks for your input @Dr.Tank I'll certainly be using it (tonight probably)!!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 22:15
Quote: "Yes, that's a good point. I'll add a little outward movement!"

If you decrease the drag, it should happen naturally. In my experience, it's best to keep things natural. It keeps control intuitive. I itch to see your control code.

Anyway I look forward to playing the updated version.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2010 22:36
Quote: "I itch to see your control code"

When I've got it working I'll post it...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 00:39 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2010 00:40
I just updated the Demo in the first post.

I've played around a lot with movement and added a lot of the suggestions made above. Still a long way from complete but should give a slightly better idea of what I'm thinking!!

EDIT: Oh, and I've added some music I made the other night! Not as good as the Desert Planet tracks but it'll do for now!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 10:49 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2010 10:50
I promised Dr Tank a look at my movement code so here it is (slightly simplified):

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 17:16
Thanks for posting that! New version crashes on loading. Says "has experienced a problem and has to close" etc. I'll give your code a look over. I assume it's not changed too much since the previous version.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 17:29
Quote: "New version crashes on loading. Says "has experienced a problem and has to close""

Strange, I wonder if it's something to do with the audio plugin I'm using...?

I'll upload a version without ogg as a test...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 21:25 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2010 21:26
New Demo in first post with numerous updates (hopefully should run OK now I removed the audio plugin I was using...)

Added:
Directional shields
Music
Sound FX (8-bit just as a test)
Thrusters

Known issues:
Rolling is reversed when flying "down" the screen...

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 22:17
Much better! The blocky ships look cool. Overall look is consistent. Free movement in all directions makes the game better. Also sweet how you "look ahead" in the direction you put your crosshairs. Also cool now how your targeting direction is constant when you don't move the mouse, not the actual point, so if you move sideways, you don't go in circles like before. Feels more natural and less confusing. Thrusters are a cool touch.

I haven't had time to check out your code yet, but new version plays just fine, and I don't think you really need to change anything.

Now make some levels, more enemy ships and all that business.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2010 23:57
Wow, thanks Doc! I will!!

I've just been massively improving the sound FX using a cool tool I found (attached, try it it's fun!) and some other bits of software. I've added alarms when the shield are down and/or the hull is getting severely damaged. It really adds to the urgency!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2010 14:18
Just added in Lasers!

Also I'm using DarkAI for the enemies now and it's working pretty good.

Still unsure what to do in the background as I tried some more interesting renders but they looked naff. The pixelated one shown above is much more subtle so I think I'll stick with that style for now!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 17:36
Quick update as I've added loads (new Demo once I have the basic engine running smoothly!)...

Added:
AI
Homing missiles
EMP range weapon added
HUD under construction
Loads of minor fixes/tweaks to the system

Also I've decided on a nicely retro storyline;

You are a new recruit in Space Fleet, an elite force formed to protect the planet. On your first mission patrolling the solar system you encounter a scout party of Thraxonians (an evil race of creatures from 'Outer Space'!). They destroy your wingmen and you are left to defend yourself singlehanded!!

Can you uncover the details of the plot to invade the Earth and defeat the evil Thrax? It's up to you and any wingmen you recruit along the way to stop them with whatever vehicles /weapons /equipment you can find! Fight in the most advanced vehicles available to the fleet in Space, on land and even on foot to complete your missions and save the day!!

...or something like that

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 18:57
Download updated in first post!!

There are some sound effects I haven't added to the HUD and some weapons yet but I didn't think anyone would mind!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2010 23:49
Is cool. I'll have to check out that prog you attatched. Nice oldskool sounds go with the graphics. The low energy alarm is cool.

Lots of nice additions. Keep doing what you're doing. One thing that would be a cool addition is using fullscreen windowed mode. You'd need to make it with black bars on the side for wide monitors like i've got - there are commands you can use to find the desktop resolution. If you assume square pixels you can work out whether people are running 4:3 or 16:9 etc. That way you don't get the problem of the crosshairs going off the window, which sucks.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 09:07
Quote: "You'd need to make it with black bars on the side for wide monitors"

I know the commands for getting and setting the screen res, what happens if you just set screen res to the same as desktop on widescreen then? What is the purpose of the black bars?

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2010 16:34
Becuase then your aspect ratio would be wrong. You could change the aspect ratio, but then that would make the game play different depending on what screen the player has. I like to use 3:2 ratio and have small black bars on top/bottom for 4:3, and small black bars on the sides for widescreen.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2010 12:46
Thanks for the info Doc!

Here is a quick screenshot of me fighting with two wingmen!

They shoot and get shot now and have a healthbar!

Also I've started the storymode and added quite a few new sound effects. Demo including wingmen coming once I've added some commands to send wingmen to attack/defend areas/ships!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2010 18:06 Edited at: 10th Mar 2010 09:55
As promised I have updated the first post with a new demo featuring Wingmen who can be ordered to defend/attack as described in the first post.

My main question to anyone trying this demo is whether I should just have a 'blanket' approach to commanding wingmen (so if you say "attack target" they all do it) or should I keep it as it is so you can order some to defend a neutral ship while you take several others away to attack a larger ship(for example)?

I want this to stay as an arcade style game so I don't want it too complicated but I still want it to be something you can keep learning/trying new stuff with...

EDIT: I've made some changes that work really well with regard to this. Now if you have no individual/groups of wingmen selected the game assumes you mean all wingmen, otherwise it assumes you only mean those selected. Once the action has been assigned any selected wingmen are de-selected. In practice this seems to work well and feels natural.

Now I'm in the process of adding communication chatter (IE. when someone is under attack they say something to let you know such as "I'm under attack!"). At the moment I'm adding actual speech as well as textboxes which appear next to the wingman speeking, also a little icon flashes while they are talking. 'Coms' get queued so that you don't have multiple people talking at once.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2010 19:36 Edited at: 17th Mar 2010 00:14
I have just updated the download in the first link with the latest demo!!

There are two downloads, the first is a smaller file attached to the first post with one music track (by me) or you can download the full set of six tracks by 'Desert Planet' who do some excellent retro game music (see for yourself) download it below 41Mb[edited]:

I really recommend the FULL version as although it is about 45Mb it is well worth it for the music which really inspired this game to where it is at now!! I have been developing it with these tracks playing and only releasing the sample track up until now but I thought it was time to let it loose...

Anyway, although the game is far from complete I'm sure you'll all see a real improvement!

I have added some new weapons/pickups/sound effects and tweaked till I can't tweak no more so please enjoy and keep giving feedback!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2010 00:14
Sorry guys, I compiled with the wrong settings and the music wasn't working!!

Use this download instead (it's smaller still only 41Mb!):

What a dope...

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2010 03:10
Seems much more developed. I like the "portal" that enemies come out of. I got killed pretty quick by the big laser ship. Then I restarted, to be told that I was instantly dead again, then an object didn't exist, and the game crashed.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2010 10:32
Quote: "Then I restarted, to be told that I was instantly dead again, then an object didn't exist, and the game crashed."

Thanks I hadn't fully tested starting games again etc. I'll look into that...

Also I forgot to mention that the "Continue Game" feature didn't work yet.

The big laser ships can be avoided but if there's more than one it gets tricky without wingmen... I was thinking of giving you a wingman to start with just to make it a bit easier. Also there are a few more pickups to add yet, and I was thinking of adding an asteroid shower as a bit of a survival mode in between levels...

Finally there are several features that really slow the game down including lasers that I'm going to work on over the next few days.

Thanks for your continued support @Dr Tank (it really helps when people take the time to play the games and post on this forum!)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2010 17:16
New Screenshot showing new wingmen (which I am limiting to three) and a drone (a secondary weapon - only one allowed at any time). It also shows the vortex which spawns the enemies:

New improvements:
First Boss nearly finished
Vortex now appears on proximity map
Tidy up after Game Over now works
Optimised many features to improve framerate
Game now starts with one wingman
Continue works but not after a restart (yet!)

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2010 22:14
Nice mate, keep it up!

TheComet

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 11:23:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 11:23:02