Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / "could not create local file" Please help me!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I used to use the original FPSC back in the day, and got X10 as soon as it came out. On my old vista PC it ran great, but i am having trouble with it on win7.

I got rid of it manually as it came up with a "catastrophic error" when i tried to uninstall it. I uninstalled it as it would not update. After finding it in the cupboard gathering dust i gave it another go, but alas, the same problem.

It wont let me update!
I have just installed the mature pack which came up with the "this program may not have installed properly" error. It now says i am running 1.01.

Could someone please help me fix this, and or direct me to the links to the updates so i can do them manually. Thanks,

Here is my DXDIAG:

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2010 21:59
Hm your specs are fine, try going to the TGC site and downloading in your order history (Update 1.8 mature) but first uninstall everything (model packs as well) re-install it, then run the patch before running FPSC. Once patch is installed right click the icon of the FPSC x10 on your desktop and run click "Trouble shoot compatibility" Click the list for more options and when it asks what version of window it worked on before press windows vista SVP2. Then run FPSC x10. It it does work!! go to the top at help and update to the 1.11. Tell me if this does not work.

"I haz no sig :o"
ToffeeGerbil
Years of Service
User Offline
I followed your steps but to no avail.

It won't work on vista or XP compatability, and still reads it as version 1.01. :<

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 00:20
Make sure that you have User Account Control turned off.

Logo by The Next
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 02:22 Edited at: 17th Apr 2010 02:29
Quote: "Make sure that you have User Account Control turned off."

Wondering if that could be it, although, it would tell you to turn it off. At least it did me.

**Edit**

Does the file instalation of FPSC look like this?

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators

And when you go to install the updates does your update install to the same directory? for instance, the update wont work if its going to C drive while FPSC is installed to D drive.

**edit again**

Could be your problem I see too harddrives in your diag

Drive: C:
Free Space: 101.1 GB
Total Space: 143.0 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WD1500HLFS-01G6U1 ATA Device

Drive: F:
Free Space: 185.5 GB
Total Space: 238.5 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST3250820AS ATA Device[quote]

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 08:45
I wouldn't advise disabling UAC since it's a useful security feature. Simply run the application as administrator or alter the installation folder's permissions to allow read/write/execute access for all users.
ToffeeGerbil
Years of Service
User Offline
I used to install programs to F to keep my OS running fast, but X10 is now installed onto C,

I had UAC turned off before, I hate every part of it.
"are you sure"
"are you REALLY sure"

I have also tried run as admin to no avail.

I have a file called "mature" in the directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators), so i assume the update did reach it to the main folder, however it still reads as version 1.01.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2010 22:10
The picture you posted says (Try to run in windows XP svp2) XP cannot run FPSC go back into the Compatibility mode and select the (choose more features) options instead of the recommended options. It will give you clicky boxes, click "This program worked on an earlier version of windows but doesn't now" then click "This program needs administrative rights) It will then ask you which operating system it last worked on. Press the Windows VISTA SVP2. Then before you click Run program, save it. Close. Then on your desktop right click and run as admin. Tell me if this didn't work.

ToffeeGerbil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 12:01 Edited at: 18th Apr 2010 12:02
I right clicked, went to compatability troubleshooting, troubleshoot program, then ticked "the program worked in an earlier version of windows" and "the program requires additional permissions" then chose windows vista service pack 2.

However, i could not save and open fpsx10 as it wont let you carry on until you have tested it using those settings. So i tested it and it didnt work, so i exited after saving and tried it then - still no luck.

I also tried vista and vista sp1.
At the end of the compatibility troubleshooter it comes up with a little error saying incompatable program.

I wonder if i could create this folder myself?
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2010 18:48
it honestly sounds to me that FPSC is being conflicted with your two hard drives. I have seen the error before and it's because it can't read that the patch was installed in a proper directory. I would uninstall everything thing again. Then on the hard drive your operating system is in re-install FPSC in this directory C:\ so it is with all those other folders like program files and windows. Then make sure the patch gets to that folder as well.

biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2010 20:46 Edited at: 20th Apr 2010 20:55
just right click on the FPSCx10 exe file go to compatibility and check windows vista, and run as administrator. that should help.
also try to downgrade your DX to 10 because your win7 is DX11

[IMG=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3631/tgc2.png][/IMG]

[IMG=http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1405/tgcs.png][/IMG]

don't ask untill tried everything
Toffeemouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2010 18:42
Toffeegerbil here (merged my old profile so i could get all my stuff together)

sorry for the very very late reply, i hope you are still here!

I uninstalled, did a search and removed every trace of X10.
I installed it and it is now at the destination:

Computer>Local disk(c>Program files(x86)>Thegamecreators>FPSCx10

I am still experiencing the problem! is there anything else i can try?
Toffeemouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 15:03
Ah, i deleted everything and reinstalled again. It seems to be installing to /C but putting "FPSC X10 files" into my other harddrive.

I have no idea why it does this, it puts that folder in a folder called "programs" which i made myself.

Anyway, i cut and pasted them to /c in program files but it won't work. I assume it is because it is still searching my other harddrives files for them.

How do i redirect it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 14:25:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 14:25:24