Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / JLMoondog's 3D Sketchbook

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 04:25 Edited at: 13th Jun 2010 03:50
Thought I'd follow the trend around here and create a 3D works thread. I'll be posting my current 3d projects here and even upload some to share to everyone. Crits and suggestions are always welcome.

Current 3d projects,

3d Compo, Big Bad Boss:

Time Front soldier model:

Turbo Toolbox screwdriver:

More updates and models to [href=http://]come[/href]!

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Wondering what your up to for your entry there josh

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2010 04:56
Lol, I'm up to several things. Hopefully be the more unique of the entry's in this compo.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 20:47 Edited at: 15th Jun 2010 05:02
Did some texture and normal map practice this morning. Free for any use.

Preview:

Now back to modeling.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 20:58
Ok cool, now here are my crits.

Im having trouble establishing what the texture is. My guess would be concrete. If so there a couple of things to take a look at.

First of would be noise, if these were repeated for modular work, there is too much going on to help explain what the material is, and the wear/age. Concrete tends to be rather plain, but can be enhanced with chips, moss and dirt, which can be seen here. However, these details are applied rather randomly, and dont come across as well as they could. I would concentrate the dirt in the crevices, and near the bottom where more contact will appear. Moss tends to grow in damp areas so either near the floor, or near the top, if this ws part of a building.

Damage, as said before, the details are rather random, and the cracks and chips do not make sense where i can see them. Take a think and work out where it is most likely to be damaged. Has it took a hard blow from an object? Destroying the centre coat? Have other object been knocking into it, chipping small pieces off? Is this an ancient ruin, untouched by man, but worn rom the acidic rain? This can really help sell a piece.

But, i may be over-examining this, but it is always best to squeeze as much realism, and interest as you can from every piece.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2010 22:50 Edited at: 15th Jun 2010 05:03
Lol, I wasn't actually going for anything. Was just building a texture and normal map for fun.

Anyway, working on some pants and boots. Just fleshing out details for the soldier model.

Taking a break. Jackie Chan movie time.

Edit. Alright, another texture/normal test. Little more metal looking then my last one. Not worried about realism, just messing around with different techniques.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2010 05:18 Edited at: 15th Jun 2010 05:03
Double post ftw.

Metallic floor tile test texture and normal.

Here's a Metal Grate normal map I created to use in making other textures. Free for all.

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2010 06:17 Edited at: 14th Jun 2010 07:41
Details pop out really nicely. Sweet freebie Just one crit though, on the bottom of the square tile pattern, there's the slightest seam there that's hardly noticeable, but has a way of catching the eye, you know?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2010 14:00
Yah, stupid me for got to make the main diffuse map tile-able...Oh well, you can't really see it unless your at an angle with the light hitting it just right.

More to come, been replaying ME, getting some ideas from that.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 07:17 Edited at: 19th Jun 2010 07:23
Been busy with some secret projects. Might have to scrap my boss entry this month, have some other plans.

Been working on the Time Front soldier model. Looking pretty good. Limit is 2k polys, at 1280 atm. Plan on adding more accessories and some more detail to the face and body. Also plan on making some nice normal and spec maps for this, plus several color variations. Should be fun.

Wire:

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 08:47
That's poly count's in quads right? I mean, I can't imagine a model that good in detail with such a little amount of tris!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 16:35
Oops, it is in quads. Naive me. Oh well guess I reached my limit. Still want to add a helmet though.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 17:41 Edited at: 18th Jul 2010 17:47
Haven't posted here in a while, thought I'd do a bit of an update.

I know a lot of people don't frequent the FPSC boards, so here's some free media I've been working on:

My recent adventure into freelancing is going good. Actually have been getting some paid work recently and thought I'd share my latest:

Still have some secret projects underway. Working on a bunch of textures for the Time Front game and my own AppUp game is nearing testing phase, so I'm a bit excited.

Ah also have been doing pretty good on Turbo sales, exciting. Still have some nice texture packs and models up if anyone is interested. Link in my signature. Also doing gigs with fiverr, so if anyone is interested here is the link: JLMoondog
If you do a gig with me, make sure to add your from the TGC forums and I'll do more then one model for you no extra charge.

Comments always welcome. Cheers!

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 18:02
looking good, you've definately found a style that works, and the bottles look great

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 18:04
love the bottles mate ,very pro looking job

cheers henry

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 19:14
What were the bottles rendered with, out of curiosity, TS?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 19:56
like the bottles, but the liquid could use some work as it doesnt look liquid, it looks like iced liquid, without the icy look... sorrta, but the bottles are awesome

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2010 20:29
Actually yeah, totally missed that. Lower opacity with some nice refraction

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2010 01:35 Edited at: 19th Jul 2010 01:35
Bottles were rendered in TS. I wasn't allowed to add transparency, refraction or anything to the liquid...not sure why.

I actually dropped the Curse Media deveopment. It was basically a test for the final media I'm building for FPSC.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2010 09:30
You werent allowed transparency? How strange I wonder what the reasoning was behind that.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2010 14:57
Yah I originally made this nice render with transparent liquid with refraction. Also had a lot more light sources, so it had this real nice effect that made it look real. Though, it was too much and had to tone it down.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2010 18:43
Oh well, end of the day your out to please them anyway eh?

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 00:02
Been reworking the Time Front model. Somehow I flipped my polys when I unwrapped them, causing normal map mayhem! Luckily it's fixed now. Did a quick paint and test and normals work perfectly now!

Now on to really texturing it. Going to rework the hand texture for the TF guns first. Give them gauntlets so they match the character model better. Fun times.

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 00:32
Looks nice, Señor Mooney!

My green thumb grew the tree my Trojan War horse was crafted from. With roses in our pockets we rally round the tombstones. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 00:52
The stitching looks a bit to large for my liking, sort of screams NORMAL MAP at me Nice texture so far.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2010 03:03
yeah stitches are a bit to large in size, but i gotta say i love the texture

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 04:53
Haven't posted here in a while and didn't want to start a new thread, so here's some new projects I've been working on this past few months.

(note: not all 3d)

Sorry for the massive images. Crits always welcome, even if I have cotton balls in my ears.

"...space is where I'll fight and where I'll die."
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Whats the first pic supposed to be? Judging from your sig, its for World Apart Online? Like the last one, Mac n Cheese FTW!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 06:03
Worlds Apart Online? Nope, what made you think that?

vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2010 13:53
Very nice. Soldiers armor remind me from spore. Mostly the feet parts. Cuz there are exactly same looking parts in spore, and even same colored.

Check for pure horror.
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
The visor is WAY to small to be able to see well. The helmet looks a bit too tall but that might just be me. The space thing in your sig made me thing of that.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 07:54
Eminent:
Actually it's quit accurate to a real helmet. I think it doesn't look right because it's off to the side and not on his head.

Redid the arm texture for the 100m/100d FPS hand. This is currently being used in Time Front, along with the character model above.

Cheers! Now it's off to bed.

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Bro i will say the soldiers texture is pretty poor. The damage really doenst make sense and it looks more like concrete than metal

banner.jpg
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 13:13
yah the scratching is fairly over-done and chaotic with no variation between material types and very little variation in severity.

Right now it looks like more like he was drug behind a horse over gravel than battle wear and tear.

By the color, I'm guessing the boots and chest are leather? damage on leather would look different than damage on steel: rougher with more tearing. Boots won't really take that much combat damage but would show things like dirt and mud along with areas that are worn and frayed. scratching would mainly be to the front where they scuff against smaller stones during travel.

in the plate, some deeper gouges, dents etc and less scratching overall would make it more interesting I think.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 00:18
More media I'm working on...should really update this page more often.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 02:50
Wow your really talented... though i get mixed feelings about some of the posts. The leather texture with the stitches (though said before) is really nice minus the overbearing stitch work. Again some of the others are good, the soldier is very professionally modeled, but as far as the texture i think i have to concure with the others on the thread. It almost seems rushed. The face is OK, but getting to the chain mail and the leather portions of the armor it kind of seems like its tiled and not tailored... if you know what I mean. I can kind of see some of the same stuff happening there that happens when im tired and not really into what im doing: the quaility becomes half assed and i end up redoing it or really working it over later when i feel up to it. I think you have some really good skills as shown in other renders. One thing that i love is a good hand drawn map. It takes me a while but i paint all my character textures by hand. It takes longer but at the same time (with good reference) you can create effects on texture that really go well with the model. It is possible to do the same thing creating a map with standard textures that are photo shopped to fit but I think a character loses origionality and personality. Thats just my 2 half cents though.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the green sci-fi map. The guy(alien?) looks weird though.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 21:36
Are you gunna release the VR style textures? It'd be a pretty cool thing to play around with...

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 23:15
Yes, the VR media I'm still working on and plan to sell. The textures in the screens above will be released for free. I'm currently working on a new set with shader maps.

Here's an update on my Jack model:

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2010 00:56
Quote: "Yes, the VR media I'm still working on and plan to sell. The textures in the screens above will be released for free. I'm currently working on a new set with shader maps."

Nice! I was just thinking how good they'd look with pulsing a panning emissive materials...

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 01:32
More models, mostly for the FPSC users. Currently having to use a crappy PC because my other one is awaiting a new tower case. So starting some new stuff while I wait.

Comments always welcome, insults not so much but I can take it.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Absolutely love the gun, how many polies is it? The guy looks like that armored guy from Time Front but more modern.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 02:45
Exactly 1000 polygons. The guy actually uses the same base mesh, but both models are different. I have an assortment of base meshes I use to create characters, cuts down on production time.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 04:41
Blade:

Gun Uvmapped:

Secret project in the works:

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 4th Dec 2010 18:10
Hey in your post at FPSC I put a pic of the hands I made to rig your G36.
Go there and tell me what you think of them before I UVMAP them.

GJ

I am Southern, and I love Grits. Feel free to ask me what grits are if your a yankee
vortech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 18:35
Minecraft?

Best texture of the Month.
Yay.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 18:56
definitly not, since minecraft is totally built from blocks =)

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2010 20:23
theoretically it could be minecraft, but it would have to have a texture mod to give all those shades of blue.

I highly doubt it though.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 01:48

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work! I like your style.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 03:43:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 03:43:14