Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] The Principality of Mars part 3

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 15:33 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2010 18:06

a smallfish darth kiwi and starmind game

By smallfish123 at 2010-08-04
The king of Mars has been shot and left brain dead his son Constantine has been declared the prince of Mars and holds the British empire responsible for the assassination attempt on his father now Martian war ships orbit over earth bombarding London with shell fire and you Raynald Fox top British agent have infiltrated the the Spectre Orbital Palace the seat of his power you must find the prince and end his tyranny once and for all

By smallfish123 at 2010-07-31

Finally after almost a year in development the latest instalment of the Principality of Mars epic is here now better than ever the game has 9 levels of rip roaring action with 7 custom weapons like the fearsome blunderbuss or noble dueling pistols also experience the fantastic soundtrack created by Michael Wheeler so what are you waiting for download this steampunk adventure and do your bit for king and country
(EDIT)
all the links have gone down but I am reuploading them now here is the first level if anyone wants to try the game
http://www.filefront.com/17597954/The-Principality-of-Mars-part-3-level-1.zip/
watch a trailer here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ogTMB24O4

also you can enjoy some of the soundtrack here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESkdwxqi9s

and if all that doesn't convince you why not take a look at parts 1 and 2
part 1
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=160083&b=35
part 2
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=160084&b=35
or vist the games website
http://principalityofmars.weebly.com/index.html

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 16:04 Edited at: 4th Aug 2010 17:16
FIRST [ok, then] POST!

Downloading. Looks nice.

EDIT*
Played the first 4 levels, and I must say, that that's an awesome job you did on this! Only bad thing was, that in the first loading screen you said left click to zoomb and right click to shoot. First I thought: Why change them? What was wrong with the normal lefty shooty righy zoomy, but then I realized it was a typo in the first enemy encounter. Other than that, great job! I loved the wall segments, the ones that were the sci-fi stock box texture ones, tehy just looked cool! And the scene with the wheels and the almost same kinda scene with hte pipes, was outstanding! I also liked the electrifyed water part, brought Half-Life 2 in mind. Wich is always a good thing! I also liked, how this part was darker than the other POMs. The other ones were great, but I just liked this one more. Best POM so far, from wich I have played. The artwork was outstanding, the voice actors were okay, but at some parts, it wasn't that good. Keep it up! Going to download the other parts now and then say more!

My old YouTube account got deleted. My new account is called MetalFPSC. thanks for your time!
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 17:02 Edited at: 4th Aug 2010 20:35
I've been waiting for this, and I am sure it's great, so I am downloading now.

I hope I don't lose connection midway. (that thing is big)

Quote: "FIRST [you need to edit this before a mod does] POST!"

You know you are not supposed to say that here in the forum.

Conjured Entertainment

WARNING: Intense Madness
PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 18:56
Finally released! Nice job small fish

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2010 22:06 Edited at: 4th Aug 2010 23:51
I played the first four levels and I think you did a great job.
Due to my bandwidth limit, I'll have to download the others later.

I liked the view out out the windows in level 3 because of the way you set the other stuff out there for a nice space scene, and the use of the pipes was nice too.
The use of lighting throughout was great and the electrified water in level 4 was shocking. (I saved after making it across)

Well done.

Quote: "I also liked, how this part was darker than the other POMs."

Yeah, I had to cheat and raise the ambience a little.

Quote: "Only bad thing was, that in the first loading screen you said left click to zoomb and right click to shoot. First I thought: Why change them? What was wrong with the normal lefty shooty righy zoomy, but then I realized it was a typo in the first enemy encounter."

I noticed the texture was reversed on one of the guns too. (the laser one)
You can see the numbers for the little needle guage are backwards, so it needs a texture flip.
Not complaining, just pointing it out in case you overlooked it.

Conjured Entertainment

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 14:30
Quote: "Not complaining, just pointing it out in case you overlooked it."

Haad too fun shooting stuff, so didn't notics :-P

My old YouTube account got deleted. My new account is called MetalFPSC. thanks for your time!
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 16:22
Just a comment on your wording and grammar for the game.

The only thing lacking is correct grammar, you never use a full stop or comma in any dialogue (same on the forums). Try to improve your grammar and in doing so you will make a game I can take seriously. Its just some thing I find annoying when trying to read what you have typed, I do not know when you have finished a sentence and when the next begins. Just some thing you could improve for your game.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz, 2.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz, ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
mastercheif 193
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2010 22:46
Looks really good small fish. I will try it out once I have time.

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman Begins
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 00:35
so basically what your saying is despite the fact I just spent 8 MOUNTHS!!!!!!! working on this blooming game you cant take it seriously because of some slight grammar problem well I'm bloody dyslexic I have to spell check every god dammed sentence I ever write online unfortunately I don't have Microsoft word so it doesn't have a grammar checker so I'm sorry I have grammar problem but really just look past this small flaw and try to enjoy the game

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 11:22
Small fish, it was just a comment on some thing you could improve, it wasn't meant to upset you. By the way, I am dyslexic too.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz, 2.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz, ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2010 12:42
sorry man I got to admit that I had just come back from the pub when I wrote that and was slightly drunk I shouldn't have said that it was immature and foolish

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2010 15:32
Just popped into this thread to say that I think the game is great, very atmospheric, very well put-together and has a lot more personality than many FPS games out there. Seriously, I had a go at playing Resistance: Fall of Man a few days ago and immediately thought "Aliens? With laser guns? Really? Haven't I played this before?" Playing PoM, it feels like you actually care about what goes into your game, thank goodness!

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 15:19
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 14:01
Hi Smallfish!

My computer is back and I'll now download the game. Expect a big review. Well done on finishing. It was good to work with you and hopefully we can collaborate in the future.
loler
Years of Service
User Offline
wow this game is really cool.
Its so fun to play

its not a bug its a feature
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2010 10:33
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Amazing and original.
Have followed all of this from the start and absolutely love the Steampunk theme its one of my favourite genres,its a pity its too late for the work already done but I intend to include steampunk skyboxes for a sci-fi,fantasy pack, this is not intended to be a blatant plug, I am sure you will see from the current render how well they would have fitted.
Maybe next time

small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 01:29
son of a gun that looks awesome if I ever decide to remake these games I want to use those skyboxes.
have you played all the way through pom part 3?

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 00:37
Quote: "if I ever decide to remake these games"

Just make a Part 4! That'd be awesome

If something is perfect, it probably doesn't work. -PWP
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 20:48 Edited at: 10th Sep 2010 18:45
This was easily the most polished and refined game of the series so far. The story was presented well and video clips didn't draw on too long (like part 1) and the gameplay was varied enough to warrant the number of levels (unlike part 2 which was a little samey at times). There were still some flaws and room for improvement however.

Here's a break down:

Level design
The design was very good. The levels flowed well and were full of imaginative rooms and little graphical touches that made the game stand out for me. It may not be the most graphically polished game on the forum, but for me, it certainly wins the prize for the most interesting. You've really made this series your own and you can have pride in the fact that there are no other games like it on the forum (and if there were, they'd be sub-par copies). I particularily liked the first section of the conservitory level. It really reminded me of Bioshock. I'm not sure if you took any inspiration from it, but regardless, it was very well done. Some more climbing puzzles would have been nice. These were the funnest part of the game for me. I know the gas level was pretty much devoted to climbing, but I would have liked to have been outside the station longer, climbing across balconies and scaffolds etc.

Audio
The audio was better balanced than in the last two games but was the biggest flaw with this one. While voice overs were loud, the music was so quiet that at times there was hardly any point of it being there. The final level, while great in it's own right, could have been made all the more awesome if the music had been increased in volume. But as it was, it was a little piddely background nose. The ambient "background" noise was far too loud and was more obtrusive than the music would have been at that same volume. For the last part (and you MUST make a final part) you need to consider doing a beta test to sort this kind of stuff out. I offered to fix some of your audio balance out a while ago, but oh well, that's the way it goes. Voice acting wasn't too bad, if a little corny at times and over/under acted. But it fitted nicely with the scenario. The princess was the most entertaining. She seemed to forget her lines halfway through her speech. xD

Gameplay
Gameplay was nicely varied. There was still room for some more elements but ultimately the levels played well and were all entertaining, except the church level which I found pretty dull - There was nothing massively inspiring in the level design and there weren't many enemies to fight either. Kudos to you for the last level though. It was really excellent. My only gripe was that the ending was a little odd. I entered the last room, got a video of the prince being shot, then shot him myself and then the game ended. I think the video should have played when the prince was killed. It would have made more sense and been a better ending. There weren't many bugs in the game. I got a few invisible barriers that I had to navigate, but nothing terrible. There were a couple of things like the revolver constantly playing a few frames of animation, but ultimately, it was a nicely polished experience.

Presentation
The loading screens and menu were much better looking than previous games. The credit sequence was a nice touch (although perhaps a little long-winded when it extended into level 2). A few grammatical errors here and there definitely didn't spoil the experience for me but just remember that there are plently of people on the forum who'd be happy to proof read your projects to catch anything you've missed.

Ultimately, I really loved the game. I hope you consider a final part. You've come too far with this series to give up now. Just know that, if you do decide to make the final part, I will already be signed up (if you'll have me). Just drop me an email.

If this game doesn't get you a BOTB then you are very close to one. Congratulations on completion.
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 01:24
first I would like to say Butt monkey I am so glad you liked the game. the music you made for it was superb and reading your review really brought a smile to my face and I would like to respond to your comments one issue at a time

Level design
I worked especially hard on keeping the levels varied and it nice to know it never got to boring I keep the climbing sections to a minimum because I was afraid people would lose to many of there lives on missed jumps. is you want more levels on the outside of the palace I will simply put them in part 4

Audio
I never thought the music was that quite ow well I will beta test part 4. As for the voice acting I liked overacting the Psycho prince character that how I always imagined him in my head.
and the princess was my sister and she my be an incredibly talented artist but she is the WORST VOICEACTRESS EVER!!!!!!!! what you heard is the best recording of almost and hours worth she just wont stop forgetting her lines and laughing

Gameplay
I had planed to have the played jump on moving fan blade but the played keep glitching through the fan so I replaced it with a static entity instead so the end result was a bit rubbish.
the end was a glitch the video was supposed to play after you kill the prince

Presentation

sorry about the grammatical errors truth be told when your coming to the end of a years worth of development time you just want to get the game finished so you forget to check such thing so my bad. I will make a part 4 but not for a very long time at lest a year it just takes up to much of my live once I get started so much of my spare time on a game only a handful of people are going to play. I will always be glad to have such a talented musician on team.

ow and I have pretty much given up hope of ever getting a BOB despite the fact I totally deserve one

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 17:12
Rolfy that steampunk skybox is fantastic, I have never seen a steampunk skybox before, please make a pack just steampunk, one cant make a game from just one or two here and there, I would like to see bigger packs, even if they had to include filler or repeating designs for the above reasons.

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2010 21:16
Excellent work...played all the levels.

It's got a completely unique feel about it, which is where most FPSC games lack IMO. And there are some brilliant touches, such as the bits of dialogue as you're playing (for example, warning about the electrified water etc). The archive footage was great, too. Just a lot of fun to play.

If I were to make one suggestion, it might be to throw in a couple of little extra puzzles here and there on some of the shorter levels. Some of the levels can be completed really quickly, and just having something like a simple switch sequence puzzle might provide extra game time and allow the player stop for a minute to enjoy all the attention to detail.

Anyway, this is the most fun FPSC game I've played, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2010 04:08
An title worthy of BOTB. This game is really something. Great job on this mate! You really inspired me to work hard on FPSC...

Computer Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80GHz @ 1066Mhz FSB 3MB Cache, Dual Channel 8192MB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz RAM, XFX Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512MB, XFX 780i SLI Motherboard
Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 19:33
Quote: "An title worthy of BOTB"

Totally agree.

Also this adds up to a good couple of hours or more gameplay, which is more than I've seen before.
small fish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2010 11:07
wow guys thanks I really appreciate the nice comments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 06:01 Edited at: 27th Sep 2010 06:06
Quote: "Voice acting wasn't too bad, if a little corny at times and over/under acted. "

Yeah, that one guy sounded like he just had half of his teeth pulled out or something.

Downloading levels 5 to 7 now, and I'll get the rest next month when my download limit is reset again.

Conjured Entertainment

Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2010 01:21 Edited at: 15th Oct 2010 13:26
Quote: "I have pretty much given up hope of ever getting a BOB"

Are you going to give Kieth an email Small Fish? No harm in trying!

I think you should give this version a little tweak here and there like the sound volume (I will happily help you out with this) etc and submit it. Having a look at the criteria, in my opinion the game ticket every box. xD

Quote: "http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=162211&b=35"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 13:47:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 13:47:37