Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [x9] The Adventures of Doctor Jeremiah James and Bob Corvine -- Time Travelers Extraordinaire

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 04:05 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2011 04:08
Thanks Nbt for the bumperty bump bump.

I'm sorry I'm really slow on this. Right now I have integrated RPG Mod into version 1.18 beta 8 (that took a little while to sort out) and have updated the release code through r419 which takes care of beta 9 and what Lee has done so far that will be in beta 10. This places a whole new look with this game. Here is a pic that is funny but is going to be a serious part of the office scene.

Also, got hooked on "A touch of Frost" and so had to go through all 15 seasons. It was almost obsessive. I learned a lot of the cultural slang of England plus how polite of everybody to offer Frost a spot of tea. After he introduces himself (even though they might be a suspect) they say they will put the kettle on. Some even offer biscuits.

The image shows the secret that will eventually be revealed in this level. This is level 2 and I just have to get it done soon. Level 1 is already done.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Always loved that little guy.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 04:46
Was that one yours? I can't remember now whose it was. I should have it in a sub-folder with the name of the artist. He was the only character that can even sit down before model pack 53. I also have the other one who stands up. I'm glad all aliens look alike that way I can use the same one over and over again in this level.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Was that one yours?"
Yep, I made it for Cp's scifi pack.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 05:52 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2011 05:53
Yep, that was Starminds from the Community Scifi pack... funny how I stil remember that

Anyways, great to see that this is still in dev. I though you had given up on it after what... 5 months with no updates? Hope to play a demo soon *Hint*

Also, remember I hadoffered to do some HUDS for you? Well now that my career is back where it should be I dont think doing those would be a problem. Hit me up if still need them or anything else for that matter

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2011 05:59 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2011 06:04
Thanks Anayar. I will definitely keep that in mind. No, I have not given up. This is something I want to finish. It's just that other things kept cropping up. I'm pretty sure that I now will have more time to devote to this. I think I will put up a demo even though it won't have the conversations in it or the final outcome. BTW, I have some of your overlays in the office level as well. I might do a video run through of another room of the "office" to show a couple of your overlays.

Quote: "Yep, I made it for Cp's scifi pack."

Cool. I thought so. I just added that credit in the first post.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 06:52 Edited at: 20th Mar 2011 15:54
Here are five walk throughs. They are not completed as yet. I have six rooms where there are conversations will take place, clues to find and puzzles to solve. However, you will basically only see the rooms and entities. There is some conversation in the hallway and in the jail (some of you may have seen the jail albeit not with the FPSC v118). As I complete parts of this level I will provide another video.

All videos will be on first post.

Terry
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 07:08 Edited at: 24th Feb 2011 07:09
Nice work. I love the library. Did not know that is where Thor hangs out for relaxation (you know Thor- from Stargate). And is that decaf coffee he has?

Noticed in the jail video, the character appears and seems to run rather quickly just before the jail opens. May want to check your animation on that. Love the singing.

Overall, looks good and clean.

- BlackFox

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 21:05
Thanks Blackfox.

I had him run on purpose actually; for humor's sake. He's a wizard you know with extra abilities. It's like he can move from one place to another instantaneously.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 21:42
You do not appear to be a good designer, but you're scrips and ideas are rather good (in my opinion)

Keep it up!

-Wolf

God Helps the Beast in Me!
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2011 22:57
Quote: "You do not appear to be a good designer"

I agree, but not much I can do about that is there? I do what I can. I'm hoping the scripting will get me by.

Blackfox: one level.
AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 08:15
Lovely scripting there mate

Abdul Ahad

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 17:53
Thanks Abdul Ahad.
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2011 18:28
Just watched all the videos, nice work so far. The scripting is excellent; as for the design, IMO it fits with type of game it is, and the story, so there's nothing really wrong with it

This is still my own personal 'most anticipated game' on the forums

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 07:01 Edited at: 20th Mar 2011 15:46
Thanks Bruce,

Deleted videos. New ones will be forth coming.

Terry
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 15:14
Anticipation levels rising out of control; "He's gonna blow" lol

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 21:20
Quote: "Anticipation levels rising out of control; "He's gonna blow" lol"

*** ROFL ***

Does anybody recognize the alien script?

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does anybody recognize the alien script?"
Yes! It your futurama!

Let's see it says......

first line: " Awa we "
second line: " will begin "
third line: " tranesportat "
last line: " at 230 "

Lol I think you got in a hurry with the spelling.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2011 05:11 Edited at: 9th Mar 2011 05:12
Awa is the name of an alien.

Awa we will begin transport at 2:30.

I guess I added an extra "at" to "transport" Yup I'll need to redo it.

Hmmm? Maybe I need to find another alien language. :LOL:

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
lol sorry. Awa like Awa from avatar?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2011 23:01 Edited at: 13th Mar 2011 23:01
Starmind, there is a website that will generate alien sounding names. I chose this one. I didn't realize it came from avatar.

I have a setback. One of the issues with the map editor for FPSC is that it can become corrupted if one goes back and forth between versions and especially if one does a lot of deleting and adding. Well, my level is corrupted in such a way that it will not load after a save. It just crashes. I found where it crashed in the source code and forced it to load but other things happen with the entities. So, that means a redo of the whole level. This time, however, I won't have to do lots of deletions and additions. I also am going to stick to v118. I am that confident that it is stable enough. Any fixes will not corrupt the saved map.

My tip for anybody is always to take it a level at a time and make sure that everything is working including the save/load. You can always catch issues before the map gets too big and be sure to make backups as you go along. Although, nothing ever helps if you are trying to build a game using different versions. Again, though, if you keep it with one level it's easier to remake one level that having to find you need to remake nineteen levels. That happened to me when I first started.

Another thing, this could be a good thing because I might redo some of the level design.

At least my first level is OK. That's the TASDIM level where I will always be returning. This was the first office level.

Terry
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 00:52
Some good tips there; I for one am forever forgetting to back up my work, and have lost count of the times I have had to re-write scripts, or re-do customisations on some of the characters I've used!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2011 15:57
I hope I can finish level 2 soon.

Look for a new video sometime today (3/20/2011) of the start of level 2. It will be worth watching.

Terry
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2011 00:51 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2011 08:58
I was having some difficulties. I was hoping to have gotten this done a lot sooner.

The cursor does not show up when I select inventory items. Sorry about that. If those who have seen the conversation with Bob can be patient and get through it you will then find some things added to this part of the level. I also use the RPW (aka sonic screwdriver) so watch for it.

The intro music is by Gunn3r (Electrica #1). I wanted to use #6 but for some reason it kept interfering with the flow of play.

See First Post for video

Terry
Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 20:23
I don't know how I've missed it,but this looks like a very enjoyable game.

Perfect example why fancy graphics don't make a game.

The ambiance sounds are quite old-school-ish and trippy at times.

PC Specs:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz,NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480,12GB RAM,2x Western Digital 997GB HDD
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 20:43
Quote: "The ambiance sounds are quite old-school-ish and trippy at times."

Gencheff, I don't know if that comment is positive or negative. If negative, do you have any suggestions? Old-school; thats probably why I like it. :LOL:

Terry
Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 20:47
Definitely positive ,I'm more old-school myself lol.

PC Specs:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz,NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480,12GB RAM,2x Western Digital 997GB HDD
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2011 23:52
Thanks Gencheff. I hope you continue to look in on this endeavor. I will have videos of the complete level 2. The rest of the game will only have images.

For those who had noticed the use of the RPW (thanks again nbt for the model), I want to show you that the player must be pointing directly at the object in question. I will be using a circular crosshair when I can find it. Anyway the following video will show that if the object is not centered properly it will not do the job it's supposed to do. I also have some more scripting to do on this.

For those who realize that I had to redo level 2 I am now finished remaking the jail. It looks a little different and I will be adding more RPG stuff.

Terry
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2011 17:39 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2011 17:41
There's a reason why there should be more than one person working on a game. My expertise is story line and scripting. I feel design layout comes in second. However game logic is a distant third and modeling is nowhere on the charts.

Back to "game logic." I am stumped as goes clues and puzzles. I have an idea of where I want them to lead but coming up with clues and puzzles to get the player where he/she needs to be is a big problem. Also, I am somewhat stumped at the divisions of realism and "just a game" concept. For example. I have so far had put into inventory a recyclable canister, a trash can, gloves, old papers and a key. Where is the player actually putting these? Already the player would have to have a cart to carry these things around with him. In this game, the answer could lie with the fact that Bob is a wizard and can perform things like sending them off to a room on the TASDIM. When the Doctor was in jail I already alluded to the fact that they could just kind of transport to the TASDIM. So, the fact that perhaps the inventory is "transported," leads to another question. Should I actually go to the TASDIM and into the store room to look at what has been collected and then do something with them. Or can the player bring up the inventory list (like I had envisioned when creating RPG Mod) and go from there by selecting what he wants to do with an inventory item; such as searching through the recyclable bucket and trash can looking for a clue? I would prefer to do that. It would make it easier on me the developer for one thing and it would be faster in order to keep the game moving along.

Of course, the next thing is what clues? The player finds a clue but what is it? How can it be used? And so on and so on and so forth.

This is why I haven't posted anything further. I just don't want to recreate the level physically, I want to finalize the gist of game play as well. Conversations I can do but clues and puzzles is another thing.

Terry
Sting
Years of Service
User Offline
Flatlander, the scripting in this is amazing. It's a massive inspiration to all dev's especially for telling the story in the game rather than pre-rendering video scenes!
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 18:56 Edited at: 13th Apr 2011 03:42
Thanks Sting!

Here is the new reception area:

These pics are now on post #1.

Terry
Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 19:18
You folks need to start putting more effort in the scripting like Flatlander,instead of stacking entities in big rooms.

Flatlander,that second screen on your last post...Is it a "modeled "city , or are my eyes fooling me?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 19:28 Edited at: 7th Apr 2011 19:28
Thanks Gencheff!

It's one of rolfy's skybanks.

A lot of the scripting that is being done requires RPG Mod. Two examples. The first one is using the (sonic screwdriver) to image the hand print.

The next is a little more complicated because it requires conversation with the janitor.

This ones not finished yet because there are some things the janitor needs to do after he buzzes reception to unlock the door.

Terry
Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 19:35
Quote: "It's one of rolfy's skybanks"

Darn!I knew it was too good to be true

That second script is rather complex.I would tell you to keep it up,but I know that's not necessary.

If you need something visual for this,I'd be happy to assist.I usually don't offer help in the W.I.P boards,but this is worth polishing in every aspect.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 20:16
Definately coming along just nicely; I like the look of the new reception

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 21:17
Fantastic Terry!!!!

Scripting is Top Notch, level design is absolutely real, if I may, and lighting is also good.

By the way you seem to be getting a full 60 fps rate in all your screens, are the levels small/well optimised, or your system specifications are high-end?

Abdul Ahad

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 21:46
Thanks Bruce and AbdulAhad.

System specs high end. So far I have only five characters and one "real" light. In the maintenance closet. The map isn't very large, yet, but my last map which was quite large, still maintained 60 fps. So, I consider it my system mainly.

Terry
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 05:31
Terry, ive sent you the files you requested ... Reply ASAP and let me know of anything else you may need

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2011 03:30 Edited at: 13th Apr 2011 03:36
Thanks anayar. They are going to be used soon; within this level.

I've been busy trying to help out with FPSC issues. I fixed four of the easier ones myself and am testing and helping debug the invisible segments issue.

Here is the map of my door puzzle. I'm not sure if they will remain the same room layout but close. I just do this as I go.

I'll soon be uploading another video.

Addendum:

The bottom room will be the CEO's office and off of that will be the secret to how the time-shift had taken place.

The top upper right room is the large "Dilbert" room.

Terry
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2011 00:00
I am adding another command for inventory items so that I (we) can add an image that is associated with the inventory item. This image can then be displayed when the player clicks on the inventory item and then selects "View." Doing this has caused a delay. I personally wanted this because, the player purchases a note with strange markings on it. I want the player to be able to the view this note. He will eventually find a translation book (thanks MP54) in order to translate the note and any other notes he finds.

Terry
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2011 04:45
Looking great so far. RPG Mod is amazing, nice work on that too.

WizMod Developer.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Flatlander will you be using some shaders for the game? The reason I ask is I felt the alien you are using needed some help to say glow. Check your email Dr.

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2011 02:37
Hey Terry,

Been working on a signature and some art for the game The loading screens WILL be done this weekend. Just wanted to apologize for the delay and lack of response from me

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2011 03:56
@Starmind

I am using full shaders, so whatever shaders I can do would be great. I'm not sure how to use shaders yet. Also, I think I have bloom and newblossershaders turned on. Whatever that do for me.

@Anayar

Thanks. Also greatly appreciated.

Terry
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Test the little guy out then?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2011 04:26 Edited at: 17th Apr 2011 04:28
No, I will soon. I was gone all afternoon and I'm trying to get RPG Mod out. Been working on install app for RPG Mod.

I'll take a snapshot of him.

Terry
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 03:01
Here is a little sig I made over the week, let me know what you think (sent you an email too )

Im still working on the loading screens... too much of a perfectionist to decide on the background, but Ill post it as soon as I get it close to done

Cheers,
Anayar

P.S: Full Size Attached

For KeithC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 04:48 Edited at: 18th Apr 2011 06:02
Thanks Anayar. I hope I did it right. So testing it by this post.

RPG Mod - Create a world filled with adventure
anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 05:07
Try this:

Copy that exactly (and add anything youd like ofcourse)
Hope you dont think the sig is too bad

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 06:22 Edited at: 18th Apr 2011 06:22
Quote: "Test the little guy out then?"

Yes I did. Thank you very much. I love it. Here is an snapshot.

I hope you don't mind that I am showcasing him.

RPG Mod - Create a world filled with adventure

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:59:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:59:19