Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / V118 Public Beta 17

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I installed V118 Beta 17 and when I try to run it it says something like Mesh not found "editors/gfx\7.x",200

I unistalled previous versions so this is all I have now and I can't run it. Any sugggestions?
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 20:35

Downloading now. Held off for the betas.

Cheesehead for life.
Javinito1324
Years of Service
User Offline
i had a question and wanted to know how to flip an entitie in Fpsc there are pictures attached to this[img]null[/img] from this standing position the the laying. will be on the next post i. got the pics from a vid i didnt do this.

Fpsc x10 is the best game creator that I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Javinito1324
Years of Service
User Offline
here is the flipped entitie

Fpsc x10 is the best game creator that I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 23:17 Edited at: 6th Jun 2011 23:34
With regard to V119, I have two issues in particular at this moment in time if you like to call them that and unless they are fixed or I am incorrect in thinking they are generally found to exist by someone other than myself..........I would like to see addressed in V119.

1. Enemies shoot through other entities (static or dynamic) which block the players view to them (and vice versa) and so in gameplay they should not be able to see the player and shoot at him/her.

2. I would like to look at updating my current or creating some new scripts for loading and unloading entities at run time to ease the burden on the engine if possible in an effort to boost the fps. To do this currently one needs to set the spawning properties for entities and use the ineviatble trigger zone to activate them and start the spawn process after game start when needed.

Currently, as far as I am aware one needs to have a trigger zone to start the process and destroy the entity(ies) to remove it/them, each time you need to have the spawn again you need to have a separate trigger zone to all intense and purpose as one often cant go back to where the original was e.g. one each side of a room. Not difficult really in closed areas like dungeons as it works fine, but its a problem in outdoor levels where the saving of fps is even more needed. I dont want to get into why its so difficult to get to work or can be outdoors - just think about it or try it in open levels - depending on what you want to load and unload.

Thus what I would like to see is a single trigger to activate (spawn once) the entity and thereafter entities destroyed and spwaned via player proximity settings in script. I may be wrong but currently and perhaps others can confirm if this is correct or not?...it seems to me that if an entity is given say 50 spawns max in their properties...once spwaning is activated by the player proximity, I am finding currently that entities continually spawn and destroy themselves when the player is beyond the distance for destruction call until the 50 spawns are exhausted. Mind you it may well be that my scripts are incorrect or not functioning correctly any longer if they ever did So again perhaps users who are better at scripting than I and that would not be difficult could say if they can get such to work currently?

I am not sure but there may be an issue here again regading player/entity activation ranges which always seem to have existed and recently confirmed regarding AI attacking ranges of enemies whereby they were restricted to 700 units and that may still be the case. I have always found activation of entities at long range to be something of an erratic issue, namely they dont activate beyond close proximity ranges.

Anyway what I am saying is can we possible have consideration for inclusion in V119 of a simple (joke) script based end user method of loading and unloading entities based upon player proximity or based on anything else helpful, particularly with regard to distance ranges for use in outdoor environments where for obvious reasons it would be hopefully extremely helpful. It would be good if the user could set the activation range for an individual entity inside an entities properties dialogue box in editor, much like one can set the view cone angle.

If not well I will find a solution hopefully even if a bad one with a bit of luck.

Thanks

spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 02:11 Edited at: 7th Jun 2011 02:24
@Uechi

i had this problem before, and it was down to me only uninstalling and only installing the fpsc beta or upgrade on its own,

solution, You should uninstall fpsc and then install from your cd Version 1 of FPSC and then do the upgrade, that will fix your problem.

you cannot uninstall fpsc and just install the upgrades on its own!

if you have allready installed the upgrade, and from the sounds of it you have, then you can just install Version on its own without doing the upgrade again, well my fpsc has worked better since doing this yesturday, has reduced 50% of my bugs.

Bur give it a try and if all fails then do it the proper way
1. install v1
2. install upgrade
3. very important this is, make a cup of chow !!!!

@Javinito1324
please make your images a bit bigger, as even with my maginfi glass i strugled to see image
to flip an entity you select it and press the number 5 key and it will flip it on it axis and you can also us the R key to rotate as normal.

Oh well folks it here V18 and so i guess this post is at its end as their is no beta version to try for a long long time.
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 11:35
uman,

I agree that additional spawning/clonging commands would be great in FPSC for dynamically loading/culling entities. to such an extent that I'm working on a mod for additional spawn commands which may offer what you want: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185183&b=21

i've created 1 FPI condition:"spawnsleft=X" and 3 FPI actions:"clone", "cloneifused=x" and "clonetarget=x"

So far "clonetarget=x" does not work as I wish, but the other do. The idea being that using these commands you could potentially do what you say and spawn/destroy entities based on whether the player can see the entity or is too far away, etc.

Let me know what you think.

[url="http://raptr.com/No_Turn_Right?src=em_forum"][/url]
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 14:59 Edited at: 7th Jun 2011 15:15
Ched80,

We can already load and unload entities (spawn and destroy) via script.

As an example : I use full map one piece terrain. I am currently covering almost the whole map and terrain with vegitation (and much more) and thats what I am working with loading and unloading. Characters are the same I can already load and unload them. The problem in using trigger zones in outdoor areas they are more difficult to place effectively to do the job than they are inside rooms or corridors, (you might need them in every nook and cranny as in a free roaming open terrain one cant really control where the player will go) so as said having the ability to do this via script effectively with some measure of control would be good. Many things FPSC need to be workarounds. Workarounds are a poor substitute usually for something that is designed well form the core and implemented correctly and without bugs, issues, conflicts or undesireable influences and affects on other areas of the engine or
gameplay, which might cancel out any benefit.

I am looking at and generally refer to things that might benefit "All" users of FPSC users and the product out of the box, not particularly expert users. Thus as I referred to in my earlier post. if one had in place the code in the engine and supporting scripts Ideally one would be able to choose and set up activation and spawn ranges within the parameters of the entities propeties dialogue box in editor. Of course the removal of the entities has to be accounted for too. The current spwan delay settings do not and can not quite provide the function of spawn and destroy or unload needed if you like at present. It has to be tied in to player/enity range and/or visibility thing.

Of course it would be even better if FPSC had inbuilt support for culling and all sorts of removal of unecessary detail and entities or world objects if they are not seen or needed but thats asking a bit much from the developers and FPSC is not famous for managing such things well to date. One has to be careful however that any auto feature might remove things incorrectly. Its actually best left to the level designer as all things are so manual set up or overide is best.

As is stands if we can already load and unload entities it seems potentially possible that this could be extended in core by the developers and tied in with the engines current entities spawning capabilities as the simplest option to possibly provide a solution to help ease the burden on the engine and gameplay speeds(fps) and of course allow perhaps more importantly users to make better games. I am quite sure its not actually as easy as that to do it properly but then again what do I know. It may be easier or harder than I would be aware of.

Anyway I will keep up with your thread and hope that pans out well and provides a possible solution.

bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2011 17:26
Just wanted to say, that I've installed 1.18 final, and after implementing all the fixes for my (more than likely self inflicted) problems, everything seems to be running with no problems at all

Thanks to everyone who worked on bringing us this great update, it's certainly transformed my game for the better!

spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
@FPSC Moderator

im currently working on a script that will allow characters to spawn at a certain distance, i just need to sort out a few glitches first.

but would be nice t have uch function at core, and select it by character roperties
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 03:13
Quote: "In order to chase down any remaining issues that might be hiding in V118, I have released it as the public version today."

So, that explains the loss of the sticky.

Thanks Lee!

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 14:53
Thank You Lee!

Downloading the official release right now. Will be flogging my HDD(s) tonight with a fresh install of FPSC when I get back from work. It will be nice to not have to try to keep up with betas the same time as trying to work on my projects.

As for 1.19 , though I know it isn't going to even be considered until AppGameKit is released and stable. I would like to see updates to the map editor, specifically the FPSC-Segments.exe as well as the consideration for more UI(s) for asset creation.

And Here Is A Penguin:
FPSC OneSource [DeskTop App] - Bringing everything together into one.
Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 17:27 Edited at: 8th Jun 2011 17:31
I am waiting to see the new features in migration thread
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
But as the mods can add lots of small and big features we don't need lots of small features with use of about 0.01%.
What we need is special things like:
Anisotropic,A working Anti-Aliasing(I think it can't work correctly),Fixing the polygon count(It's really bad when I am looking at ground with 2 polygons but it saying 200000).
And something can be done to make some loadings faster:
When a level loads completely you play it and each time you die then come from a checkpoint without any loading again because it loads before but when you save and again load it(you load it when you are in that level) you have to wait for unloading the level and again loading it but if it could check the number of level then it could start from that saved part very fast.
WYSIWYG can be add to FPSC's editors for users with super fast systems.
Imagine you are adding models and you can see it with it's original quality and when you click test then immediately it start and you won't wait.
So each model and it's shader and texture and mesh will load while you click on it in the editor.
It has to have an option in setup.ini
Another feature can be lens flares.
There are many needed features for FPSC I just said some.

Have our guns was a mistake!!!

I am PaYaM
veer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 18:17 Edited at: 8th Jun 2011 18:18
lets go 64 bit
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 02:52
I just tested the new 1.18 final with a large 40x40 segmented outdoor map + single light source + 2 dynamic objects (but no bloom and no shaders).

I used this map for all betas and with 1.18 final 2 things drastically changed.

The good thing: Instead of 1.7 GB the level suddenly needs only 950 MB

The bad thing: Instead of a steady 40 FPS I now crawl at 10 FPS

Has anyone encountered something similar ?

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 04:28
I have noticed a bit of a decreas in fps too, but I'm sure that it'll be fixed in the future...
defiler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 05:20
Lee, i don't know what you did, but the build test times ARE SO DRASTICALLY REDUCED, THANK YOU!!!

Current Project: Lost Contact: Chapter 1
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2011 14:41
I have re-tweaked the setup.ini according to some advice by Wolf(thanks a lot!) and placed the light source so that not the whole area is lit and....TAH-DAH I am back to 30-40 FPS.

The build now takes 1,2 GB instead of 0,9 but still drastically less than the 1,8 I had with exactly the same map for the last betas.

I am really relieved, that some thought went into memory usage and not only into eye-candy, so maniacs like myself, who want to get out into the sun with their maps, have a chance to build something playable.

Thanks to Lee and the whole development team!

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 00:31
Man something is really wrong. When I get to building portals I am already at 1600MB VM. It goes up so fast on the loading entity bank part. And it only says 77 entities. I don't understand whats going on.

spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 03:28 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 03:58
@The Storyteller 01

Can you post your setup ini file for us to see what changes have been made and to try! It would be great if you can

@ Soviet
i have had problems like that, and its maily been down to conflicting entites that are connecting or going into segments, and also check your scripts that they are the right one in the correct area, like use main scripts in main and the destroy scripts in the destroy part and of course the the start scripts too.

im telling you how to do things, but after a tiring section i have put scripts in the wrong place, and that has increased VM load.

Note: lights roughly use about 1mb of memory even when its set in an above layer.

I just tried a test with 3 lights, 1 red 1 blue and 1 white, and also without any lights and my frame rate stayed the same and the memory usage only went up by 3 mb, so unless you using hundres of light then i cant see that being any ptoblem.

Also check sky maps as some of the stock ones are memory intense.

Hope theirs some usefull info for you
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 05:06 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 16:07
You know what really got me angry about FPSC? is not just that it acts completely bi-polar. It's that its completely mad. How is it that after pillaging my map of all it's nice stuff it uses about 1900MB VM. I turn off post processing. Delete even MORE stuff and NOW is uses 1921VM. Can someone for the love of god explain this logic to me? Anyone? Not in any of the years that I have been programming and messing around with different programs have I ever come across anything more retarded (except java)

Yes, I followed wolf's tutorials. Reduced my lighting. Yes I cleaned my FPSC with the cleaner. Yes I have restarted it and my computer. Yes I have run it as administrator. Yes I have tried moving things around to maybe fix some stuff. Nothing works. Something needs to be done, because this is retarded. Now most people would say its my map, but that's not the case. It's a map from a model pack that had previously worked. The ONLY thing I added was some of EAI's dudes. By some I mean 4. No other AI is on that map. How come is it I build portals at 1200MB usually in a safe zone and it jets right up to over 1900 because its initializing the player?

Now I know people will say tough luck and go use something else. But for crying out loud I bought the engine, I want to use it. I bought it 3 times! I have even gotten to the point of uninstalling the engine completely and re-installing everything. It's all the same crap.

It's so useless to have the computer I do, and not be able to utilize it. I have paid thousands of dollars on this computer. Duel 6970's a hexa core processor and 6GB of DDR3 ram. And it's totally useless. Lee I hope that 1.19 is that super update that fixes these problems. Sorry for my rant, I really just think people should see what some of us are going through.

veer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Soviet176

there was a 64 bit patch that let you build games with more than 1.8 GB memory
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 13:30
Quote: "there was a 64 bit patch that let you build games with more than 1.8 GB memory"

Have already tried that. It's useless when you want to build games it still crashes. It's terribly unstable. People will have to have more than 2GB of ram and thats not fair to ask for from this engine.

veer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 13:49 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 13:51
then divide the level into two...... that what i m doing...

like chapter One part2 , part3

work within the limits of engine....Or create your own engine
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 13:56 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 15:38
@spudnick:
Nothing special in my setup.ini
These 3 lines make most of the diference - and I don't use shaders.

postprocessing=0
lightmaptexsize=256
lightmapquality=10

Edit: this is a screen of the built game. I have to admit though that from other angles the shadows aren't as smooth.
But it speaks for the progress of the engine that a full 40x40 segmented map + 23 gigantic static objects (6-level-height canyon walls) + 2 dynamic objects (pickup weapons) + 1 static light ( 15.000 range)only uses up 1.2 GB

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 16:02
I don't understand how you did that TS01. I have the same setup. I am using an outside map to.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 16:47
As you can see, I put over half of the map into the shadow.

Maybe that's the reason, because objects not reached by any lightsource aren't calculated during lightmapping - if I remember correctly.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 19:55
@The Storyteller 01

If you are using those setup values and no post processing to get playable performance your map must be overly complex.

I can get 40FPS with full shaders, post processing and high quality lightmapping when using standard segments and a reasonable amount of entities and enemies.

I'd rather play a game with good graphics and reasonable level design than a big map with no visual fidelity at all.

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 22:55
@Nomad Soul:

I don't see why you've got a problem, that I am very satisfied with the 1.18 engines performance, and that I finally think I can build the levels I always wanted to.

Sting
Years of Service
User Offline
Storyteller, I thought anything between 5000-10000 wasn't increased in terms of lightspan? What FPS did you get on that screenshot?

@Soviet, you think that's random check this. I test my map went to 880mb, after running round checking and escaping, I forgot something as it was unloading so instantly clicked test map again after it had finished deleting to see it then say map build (862mb) with absolutely NOTHING changed lol?

Want your games to look professional? Website! - Thread!
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 23:38 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 23:40
@Sting
35-42 is the FPS in the built game.

Regarding the light range, I have the experience that the lower it is, the less contrast shadows do far away from the lightsource. Which makes the map appear like there actually is alightsource not far away instead of supporting illusion of a sun shining.

Working on my build though, I found out, that increasing the ambience level allows to reduce the light range again.

But seriously guys, I didn't intend to start a discussion about building outdoor levels, I just wanted to show (and prove), that 1.18 final did a lot for reducing memory usage.

There will be a WIP thread in the next two weeks for the screens map, so be invited to discuss it there - of course you'll get to download it as well.

spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2011 03:12 Edited at: 15th Jun 2011 21:55
@ sting,
i have been getting the weird memory variation since 1.18.12 even tho im using 1.18 final i still get a bit but i was getting 150 to 200mb differance from a build of around 1600mb,

@Soviet176
Like you i have outdoor scene, and i also use AEi characters, and to reduce Ai scripting bloat i have the characters spawn by triggers, its hard to get right but it works well, i have 9 of Erants task frorce and without using triggers to spawn my frame rate drops down to a struggling 16 fps, and with triggers the fps is about 26 to 50, it gets higher as the enemy are killed and the corpses are remove from scene.

as for my maps, they are all massive and i have 1 map with 7 layers which is of D-Day Omaha beach scene, so i have the ocean and beach and all the cliff works and guns and cannon nests/bunkers
and since v1.18 final my frame frate has improved, so im happy, but again i had to octamize the scenery texture from jpeg to DDS format, and that helps reduce a lot of bloat and also increases the texture quality and so i can add extra things like a working mine field and artillery firing onto beach and sand blast's

See my attached image and you will see how big it is, and what you see is only about half of the map, as their is plenty more in the hills and on top.

so DDS files can improve the existing image quality.

just tomention it took me a week to make a level and its taken me about 5 weeks to octimize it. and the hardest is part it getting the characters to function realisticly, and one main bug of characters ,and that is if you have more than 3 within a close area then the Ai system struggles to make the characters work, and so they just stand their goormlass.

Attachments

Michael Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2011 12:46
Just while I am thinking of it, one idea I had in my sleepless night last night, is to have a setting in entities where you can set whether it can be shot through or not. Would that be possible? If not, can someone please explain why to me so that I understand why it cannot be done? Thanks.

Matto225
Years of Service
User Offline
i had to uninstall and then reinstall fps creator because there were several stock entity bitmaps missing. When i reinstalled and then re-downloaded this patch not only were the bitmaps still missing, i had none of the new stock guns and no new hand animations/ sights. any ideas?

Oh flash spammers, hiding your inadequacy behind the veil of a flash grenade...
Croeso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 12:00
Hi. Help please. I have downloaded and run the install for v1.18 several times but my installed version is still 118 Beta17.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 14:01
Do you mean, that the editor shows the 1.18.17 version number?

Croeso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 16:16
Hi Storyteller 01,
Yes the splash screen on loading shows 1.18.17. On right clicking on the FPS icon this shows a date of 12th January 2011 for Creation and Modification.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2011 19:35 Edited at: 12th Jun 2011 19:43
@Michael Thompson

There is already an FPI Action to do that. Use this appear script to have bullets past through an entity.

Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2011 03:39
Where'd everyone go? It seems like people stopped caring about 1.18! Come on! Some updates! Some news! Whats goin on TGC

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2011 07:06
Quote: "Where'd everyone go? It seems like people stopped caring about 1.18! Come on! Some updates! Some news! Whats goin on TGC
"

Version 1.18 came out of Beta and became an official update, so this thread was unstickied. You can now update to the 1.18 release...

Your sig has been redacted by...
veer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Version 1.18 came out of Beta and became an official update, so this thread was unstickied. You can now update to the 1.18 release...
"

what next...
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 01:47
Quote: "what next..."

You make games with 1.18

Your sig has been redacted by...
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2011 13:14
Quote: "what next... "

Start fantasizing about v119.

[url="http://raptr.com/No_Turn_Right?src=em_forum"][/url]
veer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Start fantasizing about v119."

lots of bug were fixed from Google code....and we can expect some new feature...
hukuta94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 19:08
When to expect 119?
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 22:31
Not for some time I imagine as TGC want to concentrate on AGK.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2011 23:55
at least we got something more stable altho im still getting a couple black weird texture problems has someone solved this one is it due to a shader?

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
veer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "at least we got something more stable altho im still getting a couple black weird texture problems has someone solved this one is it due to a shader?
"

i think its because of shader
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2011 00:55
thanks veer i will go through my shaders maybe adjust them in ds

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 00:47
in the player settings, what is "sound1" under "soundset"?

Hello one and all.......

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 02:29:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 02:29:14