Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Who can do a quick texture for this model? And need help improving (M16A4)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2010 00:52
I can't texture, and I just need a fairly simple one, like it doesnt need to be the actual gun texture, but I just want people to be able to tell what parts are what and such. This is the model, tell me if you willing to do it for me for free.

On a side know, how do you guys think the model is compared to my last version (NOT INCLUDING THE POLIES, im not going for low poly at all): http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=176504&b=3

Always program as if the person maintaining your program is a psychopath that knows where you live
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2010 01:39
It looks uncomfortable. You're put unnecessary detail into the rings, but your handles and triggers need to be much smoother - that side profile image isn't gunna help you with that, get some better reference...

CocaCola
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2010 02:54
Quote: "It looks uncomfortable. You're put unnecessary detail into the rings, but your handles and triggers need to be much smoother - that side profile image isn't gunna help you with that, get some better reference..."

i TRIED smooth the handle for about a half hour and it kept deforming badly, anyway what do u mean by reference?

Always program as if the person maintaining your program is a psychopath that knows where you live
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2010 08:01
Quote: "i TRIED smooth the handle for about a half hour and it kept deforming badly, anyway what do u mean by reference?
"

how did you try to smooth the handle? what i would do, would be to put a couple of edgeloops into the "front and back" of the handle, and smooth it out myself.

and by a better reference, for making a good gun, mor than one reference is needed. It also looks way WAY to fat

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
CocaCola
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2010 18:21
Alright, I will make another model (I like starting from scratch, it helps me improve) and will practice till I get it right, what are edgeloops?

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 00:34 Edited at: 30th Oct 2010 00:46
Edge loops are loops cut across a row of polygons. In most tools edgeloops can be created by using a loopcut tool. Clean models use very few triangle faces or ngon faces as these create a very difficult to use mesh (inhibit edge loop creation, a important aspect of effectively and cleanly building and modifying a mesh). the best way i can explain what an edge loop is by drawing a diagram to show you what is going on.

Edge loop cutting is a staple technic for creating and fine tuning a mesh... It makes your creation process much faster and more manageable then it would be without. I would recommend that anyone who is learning to model, research this technic. hopefully the attached will clarify things a bit. Now... as far as modeling goes i use a specific stratagy when tackling a model... i use what is called stick modeling for areas like heads of creatures/people/anywere that requires alot of detail and box modeling for basic shapes of uncomplicated things like arms/torso/leggs (excluding hands and feet, i stick model those as well.) when creating a model with a stick modeling technic it is important to be aware of your loops just as you would any other tech... Keep triangles to a minimum. Triangles are really only a last resort (I have a few in my models but not many. Usually i keep them in areas that wont move at all during animation or just naturally occur (like in the tips of sharp teeth or claws or the tip of a tail.) This all may sound a little strange when you thing about it: "Dont directx and other similar engines only process triagles??" This is true but in the cases of exporting to a .x or any other similar format the exporter usually converts this for you and ,in fact until then, the process of creating is much more manageable using quads given the standard creation practices of most modellers. Anyway very winded i know but if this doesnt help I would suggest you consult a good modeling tutorial on youtube or a similar place that focuses on edge ring/loop manipulation/relationships. Like maybe this one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/squirc#p/u/18/xls25e08sSg

I know this isnt what your modeling but it shows you the basics of what edgeloop creation is and what its useful for. It also may not be in the same program your using but it is a pretty universal technic you just have to figure out how it works in your perticular modeling program. For example i use blender. To create an edge loop i hit ctrl r (2.5) or ctrl e (then select the loopcut tool in 2.49 or earlier) and then select the edge ring that i want to cut, line it up how i want it and click to cut it. This is only possible if the model has good edge ring and loop flow, and makes the modeling process alot faster.
Weew

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 00:49
As far as the texture check out a tut on uvmapping and then just use paint if you have nothing else. If all you want is to create a texture that seperates the parts a bit, it should only take a couple of minutes to create a map to do that. Anything more detailed then that and you might want to look into/learn to use gimp. its open source awsomeness for 2d graphic work. just a thought.

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 18:06:09
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 18:06:09