Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / AIM-4 Falcon

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2010 19:24 Edited at: 5th Nov 2010 19:26
Making a game in which I plan to use this. Comments appreciated.

I'm not really a programmer.....I only play one on TGC.
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 03:38
Looks good, the texturing could use some work/the color... looking at it tells me that a normal map would make it look very cool. Damn I love normal maps!

I dont know how to spell
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 04:09
@Slayer, dont we all

but judging by the resolution of his current texture, i think increasing that resolution would take more priority over normal map.

@LBFN

Have you assigned a smoothing group to the tip and the 2 sets of fins?

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 07:37 Edited at: 6th Nov 2010 08:36
Quote: "but judging by the resolution of his current texture, i think increasing that resolution would take more priority over normal map."

Then whats the point of having a normal map if your going to add all the detail to the model?... increasing the rez would only make the image get smaller the further you are from the model... judging by the looks of the model its a low rez game... if the model was the focal point then yah increase the rez.

I dont know how to spell
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 12:50
honestly slayer, increasing the texture size would both be more friendly to the computer and make it look better than throwing an normal map on a low-rez texture, since the normal map would also be low rez and therefore showing a lot of "pixelated surfaces" which is unwanted.

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 15:39
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am using a 512 X 512 map, which I thought would be adequate for it. I did try applying a normal map to it, and the result is not pretty:

What about using a shader on it?

I will try to increase the map size tomorrow and plan to post back then.

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 20:50 Edited at: 6th Nov 2010 20:51
Quote: "Then whats the point of having a normal map if your going to add all the detail to the model?... increasing the rez would only make the image get smaller the further you are from the model... judging by the looks of the model its a low rez game... if the model was the focal point then yah increase the rez."

You didnt read what i said.

A normal map will look like complete crap with a model of only a 512x512 diffuse.

And also, what detail is he really going to add with a normal map?

If he'd wanted to do a normal map on that model, then there would be a high poly.

This is what i think, it looks fine, its going to be small anyway, the only thing you should change is the diffuse (if you want). But when you get proper lighting and it has either dynamic, or pre-rendered lighting, it will look better.

[edit]

Maybe a specular map would help if done right.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 21:08
a 512*512 texture map is fine, you'll still retain plenty of detail from a normal map

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 21:53
Quote: "You didnt read what i said"

you are aware that i was talking to slayer right? XD

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2010 22:36
Quote: "you are aware that i was talking to slayer right? XD"

Lol you are aware i quoted slayer, hence , talking to slayer

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 01:09
I never saw a quote... was it there before the edit? XD if so then i must be blind

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 01:29
yes it was my edit was an hour before your post

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 03:34 Edited at: 7th Nov 2010 03:36
hahahaa i must be blind, or just really tired meh sorry then

edit:
Quote: "Maybe a specular map would help if done right."

I just thought of this! (right before i read it xD) This however might really make the model pop and make it more interesting to look at later on when you got the lightning and stuff!

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 03:41 Edited at: 7th Nov 2010 03:42
@Master Man Of Justice

lol Dude whatever do what you want... Theres ways to make something look good, if you take the time, models when you take your time on them come out fine and become nice to look at, looking at his new model the first looked better... you just helped him to make the model look worst.

I dont know how to spell
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 05:00
Quote: "lol Dude whatever do what you want... Theres ways to make something look good, if you take the time, models when you take your time on them come out fine and become nice to look at, looking at his new model the first looked better... you just helped him to make the model look worst."

i didnt help him with his model at all. i gave him advice and told him if done RIGHT it would look good.

Your argument is invalid.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 15:44 Edited at: 7th Nov 2010 15:45
I have tried the following:
Created a specular map and used texture blending with it. Ran through every mode available.
Created a 1024 X 1024 map.
Revised the Normal map several times.

Here is a pic with the best normal map and the 1024 map.

Thanks to all for your help.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 17:22
Ok, if thats a 1024x1024. Post the Texture.

LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 19:51 Edited at: 7th Nov 2010 23:43
Quote: "Ok, if thats a 1024x1024. Post the Texture."

If??

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 20:31
What i meant was, yeah it might be a 1024x1024 texture, but it has the resolution of a 256 or 512 pixels. Thats all.

Im not trying to be mean, but in order for you to go to a larger texture size you should redo the whole texture.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 22:14
I agree with MMOJ

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2010 23:09
LBFN just work on the color of the texture not the rez of the texture... because if your far from the missile as i'm guessing your going to be, you don't need to be reading whats said on the texture.

As I said before you don't need a high rez image, because your using solid colors...

The normal map is looking good but needs little more work, the point of the normal map is to give it that nice round effect even thought its low poly.

I have been working on a missile that ill upload later and it has alot more detail even thought its low poly and with a 512 texture.

Looking good!

I dont know how to spell
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2010 02:56 Edited at: 12th Nov 2010 03:57
Quote: "LBFN just work on the color of the texture not the rez of the texture... because if your far from the missile as i'm guessing your going to be, you don't need to be reading whats said on the texture."

You're right, the camera will not be right next to the missile normally, so using the 512 texture makes more sense to me.

Quote: "The normal map is looking good but needs little more work, the point of the normal map is to give it that nice round effect even thought its low poly."

Thanks, I will have to figure out how to make it look better. I blurred the edges so that they didn't look so jagged, but they still come off that way.

Quote: "I have been working on a missile that ill upload later and it has alot more detail even thought its low poly and with a 512 texture."

Appreciate that Look forward to seeing it. I have other missiles to do, so it would be handy to see how you do things.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2010 05:18 Edited at: 9th Nov 2010 05:20
sweet yah i'm still working on it... theres a little trick to modeling a missile(normal map) sometime this week I have er done, i'm working on lots of things right now(learning lots of blender)
I'm going to make it look as nice as possible!
I'm looking into adding the flame on the back/exhaust, trying a few things hear and there to make it look cool too.

Later

I dont know how to spell
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2010 05:54 Edited at: 12th Nov 2010 03:55
I appreciate the help.

Quote: "I'm looking into adding the flame on the back/exhaust, trying a few things hear and there to make it look cool too."

I have included the exhaust flame in the AIM-4 model already. You don't see it in the pics because I have hidden the limb associated with it. My plan is to texture the limb in-game (plus it rotates a little too) for effect.

I'll put this on hold until I see what you make.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2010 04:31
Hey I'm still working on the model, I found a new way of modeling.
There was tools in blender to help for normal mapping and i'm in the process of learning them... i'm like 80% done with learning blender so i'm soon to be a blender master hahahaa. ow and I think I just might make a tutorial on making such models because theres some cool ways to making them look nice.

I dont know how to spell
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2010 03:55
Thanks again for your help. I loathe using Blender and have respect for anyone that sticks with it long enough to pull out it's cool features. I for one would be interested in your tutorial for it.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 12:39 Edited at: 13th Nov 2010 12:39
I'm getting er done little by little i'm going to use a normal mapping software that blender can use.... so i'm going to do lots and lots of testing.... but so far so good. I just got to see how the model will take the normal mapping and if it doesn't ill just have to adjust it a bit.... then texturing.... I want to look into diffuse mapping, ambient occlusion mapping.... ect. all for the better for later projects.

Later

I dont know how to spell
Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2010 16:59
Umm, it looks good slayer, took you a long time though.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2010 00:45 Edited at: 14th Nov 2010 00:52
Quote: "Umm, it looks good slayer, took you a long time though."

LOL na im doing like other things at the moment hahahaa and on my spare time i'm getting this done I made this in like 3 min.... Im watching lots of tutorials on the tools blender uses and i'm doing some art ideas / some math, so I have lots and lots of things to keep me busy hahaaaha.

I dont know how to spell
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2010 06:40
@LBFN hey man I might get to finish this thing sometime, but theres lots of things to cover in making a missile, I would have to do a series of tutorials to cover what needs to be done to make such objects. All I can say is that if you plan on learning Blender learn to do advance tectonics to make your objects... dont go for the plane ow object that comes close, make things the best you can. Theres a way to search Google and that is type in a question that you might find in a subject that just might cover what you want in your object such as "How do I make my objects look smooth in blender" or "how to convert my objects to low poly from a high poly in blender" = Retopo tool, and theres the UV texturing, in this object im also going to use a technique that involves normal maps being edited in GIMP without me having to model the high poly to get the bump out of it... im using all my knowledge to make the objects that I use and im just saying that I dont think ill be making tutorials covering all my advance techniques any time soon.

If you get stuck send me an email and ill be glad to help on a subject that you find to be complex. such as tools to get a certain job done.

Also when im done with this model I plane on selling it. Im also planing on adding some sound FX to this model. But give me your email and when im done ill send you the blend file so you can see how its done.

Later

I dont know how to spell
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 01:17 Edited at: 18th Nov 2010 01:18
I have tried working with Blender in the past, but it is a bit overwhelming and the user interface is awful. TBH, I would like to invest the time necessary to learn it, but I always end up working on something else and I end up putting it on the shelf.

Milkshape obviously does not have the features that Blender does, but I know it well and can make stuff that I consider decent (though most all here would not). Most of the crit I received here was about the texture and not the model itself, though it is a relatively simple model.

Thank you so much for the offer! My forum email listed here is correct. I do plan to try again soon to learn Blender.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 02:55
Cool yah I stated in milkshape myself! its a good program but Blender like you said has many tools and the interface is quite hard to learn but when you get it everything you need is right in front of you and modeling becomes simple to get ideas on the fly. To be honest I never modeled in milkshape I only animated in that program because I thought modeling in it was to hard hahaha and now in blender modeling is easy and animating is hard hahaa

I dont know how to spell
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 03:32 Edited at: 4th Dec 2010 16:07
Heres a link to the work in progress for the missile.
Its on my FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=108783479189938&set=a.108783429189943.11383.100001748594871

I dont know how to spell

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 14:44:19
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 14:44:19