Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Age of Reliks WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2010 01:07
SO hey i wasnt so sure that i had enough to keep anybody interested but i said WTH and decided to start a thread on a project me and another have been working on. The game is called Age of Reliks, a beat 'em up style game with animal god monster things bashing and clawing each other. The team is myself and Kira Vakaan. Kira so far has been handling the programming (hes a little more talanted then me in that department.) and i have been doing most of the visual work (concept, model, animation) and have been dabbling a bit in music as well though thats been kind of fruitless so far. Anyway Heres some links to some of the effort that i have been putting in so far:

http://www.youtube.com/user/primalbeans?feature=mhum

(Please excuse the video quality on some of the videos as lately ive been working with a limited amount of hd space due to a hd crash recently.)

and some stills:

http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/zz168/primalbeans/age_of_reliks_WIP/

Anywhoo I try and work on this stuff a couple hours a day at night so hopefully ill be able to bring updates on a regular basis (depending on how this thread is recieved ) If you have questions, comments, feel free to ask! At some point ill have a revised storyline to share but right now its kind of all hacked up and needing some bandaids, so later....

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be in 3D chat. What is it made in? If its DBP or DGDK then post it in the WIP board.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2010 01:36 Edited at: 16th Nov 2010 01:39
@PrimalBeans
when you show a video I was thinking it be nice to see your models animated in a loop animation and have that animation be looped in the video for at least for like 15 seconds... I was pushing play like 10 times lol to see what I was looking at... cool model would it be holding any weapons like an axe(got any sketches of some ideas you may be adding to this model or even some ref pics?). Im guessing your using lots of frames to animate the model because im seeing that you don't have this model rigged with IK FK. boy ow boy will IK FK save you tuns of animation time and create better and sharper animations... I have a tutorial on animation IK FK for blender if you want and if you would use I can upload it so that you may learn.

I dont know how to spell
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2010 04:04 Edited at: 16th Nov 2010 04:14
@Eminent I was under the impression that this might be the place to post since this tread is more oriented to just showcasing my work then the project in reality. I was more refering to the project to kind of give you more of an idea of what would be displaying. To be honest none of the tools available here are used. (Not sure if that is appropriate or not, just wanted to share ) The engine will be written from scratch in c++ using the directx 9 sdk.

@slayer
I realize my videos are a bit crappy at the moment. I just wanted to give you an idea of what im working on. The animations do use ik, and the animations are still being roughed out. There is some fine tuning that needs to be done especially with obsidian, and Archeleon in some animations. (I cant really even count Tundra because i havent much focused on him yet.) I would be more then happy to view your tutorial though (never hurts to learn.) I personally prefer to rotate individual bones just for the control (maybe not apperant in the vids LOL.) that i have. I do have ik chains set up for simple movements.

BTW i note that you said 'model' and not models. The entire playlist that 'should' come up on that link is related material. It is a little backwards however as the newest stuff is at the bottom. (Something i keep forgetting to look into.) The full color version of obsidain with some basic animation is down there though the render needs to be re-done as i kind of did it in an excited last minute hurry. Anyway if im not mistaken please take another look...

As far as reference pictures go there should have been a bit at the photobucket link, not much, but some template drawings for some of the characters. The turtle doesnt have any scretches because I modeled him without reference. I do have some concept stuff lying around at home that i intend to post when i have time but not much else. Anyway though feel free to browse else were in photobucket as there are unrelated drawings that might give you some more idea of my style.

Edit:
None of the characters will be using weapons... (Most dont have thumbs!) It will be more of a hand to hand thing were most will use the natural weapons they have (Tusks, spikes, claws, teeth, etc.) Anyway....
Weew... thanks for the response anyway!

Dodga
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey the models look great, if your interested in someone to do the programming i'd love to
wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
the models do look great. and they are 3d so this si the place.

wind
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2010 21:52
I appreciate the feedback. I did upload some more stuff to the playlist today but nothing related, just some music im goofing around with. I will have more in the 3d department soon. (Im going to have to go in and clean up at you tube and delete some outdated stuff when i make more porgress, as i have a habit of being kind of a 'slob' when it comes to organizing my work.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2010 22:38 Edited at: 18th Nov 2010 22:44
Well im back again... not with another 3d update but a concept scetch. This will be the next character modeled. He is currently nameless but will represent the god of the afterlife or death...
I am currently also moving all project related work to my deviant art page so thats were all the updates should go from now on (- video of course.) Anyway it should be an interesting model. I plan to update in the following way: Ill post a concept scetch when ready, then the template / blueprint / reference scetch, 3d model wireframe and then the textured final version. That should give you all an idea of how i work, just for kicks anyway.

Heres the link:

http://ricochet-rita.deviantart.com/gallery/27182769#/d333tpw

its kind fuzzy beacause i had to doctor it a bit... (It was too big for my scanner bed and when i do it in two parts it leaves a nasty line through it.

Anyway the rest of the gang is there two if you want to take a second look! I should have some more updates soon. Over the weekends i dont post so usually i have a pile on monday. (By a pile i mean i usually get a bunch done.... but have little to show LOL.)

Well to wrap this up my deviant page is here:

http://ricochet-rita.deviantart.com/

there you can read my rarely used journal look at pictures or read the always revised story in its current form.

http://ricochet-rita.deviantart.com/gallery/27182769#/d330a5s

and thats about it! hah.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2010 01:30
just a quick update... i did the side profile last night of the next god(who for the time being will be called: Ogbunabali which in igbo means 'he kills at night' the igbo death god.) I have to wait to use the square at work to draw height ref lines across the page for the front profile otherwise i would be posting both the side and the front profile. Anyway this is the next step i make when creating a character, even though sometimes ill just build without a reference. Anway since i havent got too many replys ill keep this brief ( for me )

http://ricochet-rita.deviantart.com/#/d336kgl

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2010 02:15 Edited at: 20th Nov 2010 02:16
looks good, his legs arent big enough.

But dude, seriously, stop bumping your thread. (you also will get more replys if you take the time to put the images in tag form so viewers dont have to select, copy,paste)

theres an button.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2010 02:53 Edited at: 20th Nov 2010 03:16
K i got you.... anyway the leggs were kind of ment to be small as hes supposed to be kind of a flying creature... like a pteronadon.... anyway I was under the impression as long as i was posting something relevant it would be ok to post. As far as the tag deal thanks for the tip.

hey look i used the edit feature... can you teach me to quote?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=3&t=171325&p=3

quik:

Quote: "*Btw Having No Replies Can get Me banned So Try to Break My Chains *"

as long as u bring updates, its all cool.

Im not trying to make enemies but please dont be a jerk. If you werent then im sorry and mistaken (which is common for me.) I can understand if i was posting just to take the value out of these forums but Im just here sharing what I like to do and hopefully being constructive.

Edit: maybe in my state it took that wrong sorry. Its easy for me to get worked up when i feel like someones putting me down for sharing what i love to do. Hopefully no harm done.

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2010 17:00 Edited at: 20th Nov 2010 17:02
Nah i get what your saying, its just, if people arent replying its probably because when the majority of people read, they expect it to be at 3rd grade level, with pictures, and short sentences

and theses are the tags for quote,image,link (without the ?)

Quote: "[?quote][?/quote]"

[?img]right click on image you want and copy URL and paste here[?/img]

[?href=The site the link goes to]What the link says[?/href]

and to make your life easier, they are all buttons on the post button.
Just select the word/link you want to modify and hit the button.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 06:23 Edited at: 6th Mar 2011 21:18
well im glad... let me try some of these things out.... Im still going to have to post some links for vids. Anyway hes modeled and i started on some alpha for the wings but they still need some tweeking. Hope you all enjoy.

hey it worked LOL

heres some youtube links

Hopefully i did that right...

anyway youll get something! lol. For someone who spends a great deal of time in front of a computer im sure having a time getting some of this to work right.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 20:39 Edited at: 6th Mar 2011 21:18
Environment for obsidian: WIP (need to add detail into everything.)
tell me what you all think.

Ive attacked the rough background painting. The video is of poor quality right so you might not be able to see everything, but the background has a scrolling type smoke layer. Anyway

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 01:16 Edited at: 8th Dec 2010 01:18
Quick update:

Some things im going to change:

Remove the "hair" from the monkey guys face and use alpha instead,
seam work on death god some uv layout changes under the throat to reduce stretch and fix some of the clipping issues on the wings.

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 01:43
That dragon thing is cool!... I like the detail.

I dont know how to spell
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 21:40
Thank you! I still have a lot of work to do on him (and actually all of them.) but I thought it was a good enough start to show. Thanks for the compliments.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 00:10
Its been a while and actually I dont have anything related at the momment but instead of starting a new thread i decided to post it hear anyway. Its a dragon character I modeled over christmas break (I was off for the week.) I was thinking of a new project based on him in the future, but for now he was just a break from my AOR stuff. Anyway heres a link to the vid. The render was done before I came to work so the dragon is kind of small and the animation has a little jump and camera makes a weird sweep in one part, but i didnt have time to correct it today. Ill probably replace it with a better video later, but the model itself is the focus anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgouy1goJO4

Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 10:11
that is sweet!

If you do another render can you do a closeup

Later

I dont know how to spell
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 00:27
I intend to but lately ive been really unproductive. I should be working on my AOR stuff but the holidays have been keeping me occupied. I will have some more stuff to show but im not sure when. I hope to do some more tonight but we'll see. Anyway thanks for the comment.

Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 20:34 Edited at: 9th Jan 2011 20:51
Hi all,

I figured I have enough now to show, so I thought I'd give an update from the programming department!

The engine is coming along nicely, and I just finished a bit of model loading code. Here's the first textured cube rendered by the engine! So far the loader can handle static, textured meshes, but soon I'll have animation/skinning/HLSL shading up and running. Currently, I'm loading in .x files exported from Blender just for convenience's sake (I get to put my exporter to work! ), but we have plans to ditch .x (which is a rather dated format anyway), and implement our own that will be much more tailored to our needs. I'm sure that'll be a while down the road, as I have yet to design the format let alone write it an exporter for Blender.

This is really my first time writing an engine from scratch like this, so I'm pretty excited at my progress and I've learned a whole lot about the innards of DirectX. Being very familiar with DBPro, seeing how ridiculously fast this thing (albeit very simple) is rendering, and how it uses 0-1 percent of my CPU makes me realize just how limiting DBPro is. I mean, DBPro is really great for quickly prototyping ideas, but beyond that, if you want any kind of performance, write it yourself.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share what was going on on this end of things. Feel free to ask about anything I might be able to answer. I'd be happy to answer anything about this development, or even getting started with DirectX programming.

Edit:
@PrimalBeans: I've committed all of the changes to the repository so the new code's all there for you to check it out.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 02:05
Ill have a look! Btw the problem i had earlier was due to me accidentally naming a model model.x.x LOL. It loaded fine after i changed that. I actually made some headway myself in learning some dx. After reading through some of the programming guide and refering back to the samples i think i have a fair understanding of what is going on. Anyway i dont have my flash drive with me so ill have to take it home tomarrow to look at.( I still havent hooked up internet at my house....) Anyway im getting excited. Ill send you a model maybe the same time i check the repos. Tonight im going to fine tune some of the models ( I think obsidian needs a bit more thickness in his leggs.)

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 21:54 Edited at: 7th Feb 2011 21:55
Well its been awhile... ive been really focusing on code lately (and life lol). Not much but here is something i started last night. Its a redesign of obsidian. I decided that the characters needed more posability especially in the face department. So anyway this is the new design of the head with modeled eyelids that will be able to open and close. Tonight ill move on to the rest of the model and hopefully have a complete model by tomarrow or wednesday.

Attachments

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
gotta love life right? :p

looks ok but whats up with that thing around his eyelid? just looks plain weird i have no idea what it is or what it would be there for. Otherwise, looking solid, show so wires bro!!

banner.jpg
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 01:40 Edited at: 9th Feb 2011 01:45
Thanks man... the thing around his eyelid is a "wrinkle ring"... im not sure what to call it. I intend on adding another ring or two and blend the outer ring to the skin... um.... not sure how to show or explain this...

How about some crappy paint time!

this is were the eye wrinkles when the lid opens. I intend on blending the wrinkles when i do a normal to kind of integrate it a bit... if you understand what im saying.

as for a wire... ill try and bring something in tomarrow if i can remember... if i dont remind me... as of now im actually posting from work via flash drive until saturday. (Finally going to have internet set up at the house...lol.) Anyway thanks again for the comments and crit.

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 22:23 Edited at: 9th Feb 2011 22:26
well i remembered so heres the wires... I actually moved on to the chest section last nigt but didnt remeber to take a snap of that though. I havent been working on stuff as much as i should but im trying to force myself to get back into it. (I have a new machine being built so when that gets here that will probably motivate me! )
anyway heres the wires at a few different angles:

Anyway if you look at the eye youll see what looks like a mess of verts. What your seeing is the eyeball behind the eyelid. Blender lets these come through in edit mode for purposes of im not so sure. LOL Anyway there it is.

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 21:46 Edited at: 10th Feb 2011 21:47
Unfortunately all ive had time for is modeling in like 20min bursts lately. So this next character update really isnt much more. upper torso, arms some spines. I should be able to finish modeling it tonight and at least start building a rig. anyway:

Attachments

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
so many details that could've been sculpted in like two seconds, and then retoped. That must be a giant bitch to edit all those little verts by hand, course you could toss in a lot of loops and just sculpt at this level.... hhhmmmmm.....

banner.jpg
Neodelito
Years of Service
User Offline
nice model primalbeans,
is true, you can add this details in a few minutes, but you no have same control.
When i make a real model i prefer make point by point. i like total control in my work style, and only if is needed i use a sculpt software like sculptris..
good work!

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
most skilled sculptors (or people that are willing to become skilled sculptors) have a much better time using sculpting apps, I know I'd take zbrush and a sphere over max and plane or box modeling any day

banner.jpg
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 02:50
Using blender i kind of have the ability to do both. Im actually quite fast working with stick or box modeling and as long as you know your tools your ok. I usually stick to that except for areas were i need to move alot of verts at once. Then i switch over to sculpt mode and either use draw or grab and occasionally smooth. It works out pretty well for me. I also try to keep clean edge flow when i work and that speeds up the process a ton and keeps the verts your dealing with managable. Not to mention having clean loops makes the skinning and uvmapping proccess a breeze later on. I actually completed most of the model on my lunch break today. When i get home im going to be adding in some finishing details and then start on rigging and texturing. Hopefully tommarrow ill have a complete model to show. (Untextured)
Thanks for taking a look everybody.

Neodelito
Years of Service
User Offline
sculpt or make a model point by point finally is a personal election.. good work i wait to see complete model..

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 18:10
I agree with Neo, building objects with a sculpting app or by poly in a modeling app is purely personal preference. I consider low poly artists more skilled then sculptors.

Anyway, I have to say your current model has way to many polys to work with. I find it easier to model the base mesh in low poly and then add edge loops for more detail later on. But again, that's my personal preference.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 21:39 Edited at: 11th Feb 2011 21:41
Thanks for the crit everyone. I actually used stick modeling for the head and as i worked down the body it became more of a box modeling tech, if that makes sense. I can box model a monster head but i prefer to add all my detail as i go... (Dont know why.) I guess its what works for me and ive become quite fast at it. Anyway i finished the body last night and hope to have it rigged and unwraped over the weekend. Good news for me also is im finally getting internet hooked up at my house tomarrow so i will be able to harrass all of you even more! LOL. Anyway ill get to it:

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 21:43 Edited at: 11th Feb 2011 21:44
sorry about the double post. im having trouble replacing an image... so ill try here

Attachments

Neodelito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 22:22 Edited at: 11th Feb 2011 22:23
i find old draws i made and this remember me your models.. there you can get some ideas for this awesome lava model you have..

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 23:06
Thanks for the reference neo! Those are some killer drawings. Im probably going to go with something a little more reptilian for the skin, but add in some elements of fire and lava. Thanks also for reminding me... i still have to order a new tablet. (Mine took a crap a while back.) So thanks for that too!

Neodelito
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 06:48 Edited at: 12th Feb 2011 06:49
ha ha i lost my table much time ago..
i accept used tablet donations ha ha...
Reptilian style.. why not rock style like a giant golem..
like this (not finished is the first draw)

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 00:03
hmmm im not so sure i like this as much as your other lava character. Its still good. Im more looking to keep it kind of reptilian. I have to say (again) i love your texture style, but i think this isnt what im looking for. I kind of had a reptilian look in my head and thats kind of how the model turned out. If i had modeled accrodingly this would have worked. I appreciate your help though.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 21:54 Edited at: 17th Feb 2011 01:36
Man im really slacking lately... i just got around to rigging and doing a test animation for the obsidian redesign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TPc-T3moI

hey it worked! Thank you mr mooney!

Tonight im going to try and get it uv unwraped and start on a texture.... but its my birthday and i might end up just goofing off.

It will get done though... hopefully

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2011 22:25 Edited at: 16th Feb 2011 22:26
:

He looks like he's dancing.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 01:33
thanks lol yeah, it was just a quick animaiton to test the rig out a bit. Im going to redo it once the shell of the game is complete enough to allow. Anyway thanks for the tip on the embedded video.

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 06:37
PrimalBeans, these are awesome!

You know I just put two and two together.. Your name and the models you are working on.. Are you doing a sort of remake of "Primal Rage"?

I was a killer on that game in the arcades!
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2011 21:02
Its not a remake of primal rage technically. Its a remake of the idea to some extent, though not much. I was a big fan of it as well when I was younger. Im just taking what i liked about it(big monsters and dinosaurs etc, beating the lunch out of eachother) and what I liked about other games and creating something origional of my own. Anyway i appreciate the comments!

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 01:51 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 01:53
Anyway so im moving like a slug on this stuff... been extremely busy and unmotivated at the same time lately... but i did start on creating a normal map for the obsidian redesign:

... not much else... though i did get my tablet and did a little doodle here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=182215&b=4
LOL
I was really bored last night...

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 08:41 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 09:11
edit... nevermind

FrozenCore#6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 12:30 Edited at: 28th Feb 2011 12:30
The rig. and model Looks Great

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2011 20:19
thanks... too bad im having trouble making time fro it.... id like to get more then 20 min a day in... but thats what its been lately... (too much goofing around here i think... lol)

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2011 03:26 Edited at: 14th Mar 2011 03:42
yay heres the model with a finished normal on it... on to the difuse... i should have plenty of time in the next few days to work on this project so you should see some good progress

um not so sure about the aspect ratio on this... ill do another in bit.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:09:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 07:09:47