Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / [UDK Cinematic] Fallout Fan Introduction

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 01:24 Edited at: 20th Dec 2010 14:19
Hey everyone! *brushes off snow*
Phew, these last few days have been merciless, it's been snowing practically non-stop.

Anyhow, let's not get too off topic, you guys are here to look at some semi-cool, real-time Unreal Engine-cinematic, right? You've come to the right place!

This was actually my final project for secondary school that I finished late this past spring. We had the freedom to do most anything for our final projects, so long as it were slightly related to the program we were attending.
After puzzling together ideas in my head that lead nowhere, I eventually changed the course for my project completely and decided to make a cinematic, which I first intended to make in Maya but then decided to make in Unreal Development Kit, so that I could learn how to use it, level-design wise. Also because I'm a sucker for pretty real-time graphics.

This stuff is about half a year old now, but I'm still quite proud of it as it was my first ever experience with the Unreal Engine and I had "only" a little less than two years experience with Maya.
Since the project is finished, I haven't tinkered anything with it besides using the map for trying out some of the new stuff Epic integrated into the later versions of UDK that followed. I was also under a bit of pressure the last few weeks before deadline, and didn't have as much time to attend to detailing the scene as I had hoped to.

I do plan on loading this map up again someday to give it some further detail and re-upload it as part of my portfolio, so any suggestions or crits you all might have are very welcome, as they'll help me greatly when I get to work on this again.

Enough talk though, here's a few screenshots and a link to the video on YouTube. I hope you all enjoy it and as I said, I'd very much appreciate comments on it! Any thoughts or just general feedback, just air it here or on the YouTube comments section!
VIDEO HERE!

Press the Rösta-button to vote!
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 13:13 Edited at: 20th Dec 2010 13:14
yeah i know... snowy! had to shovel snow 3 times yesterday
and 3 times the day before!

oh raight, 3d video was it?
*watches video*

wow!
really really nice video! the biggest flaw I see is that the camera's a bit stiff =/ but the rest is vvery nice^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 14:21
Yay, a comment!
Yeah, the snow's been merciless, lol.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.
In what way do you feel it's stiff? Like should it rotate around more to show off the scene more or should it move faster?

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 18:36
I think he means when the camera pauses to stop at different focal points. And also its not swaying enough maybe, so yes show off more, and move faster. I like it though.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 19:25 Edited at: 20th Dec 2010 19:29
I saw this before, still looks awesome!
But as they say, the cameramovement is too prefect for beeing somewhat realistic, if you understand me correct.

But leveldesign is great, aswell as lightning and everything.

Snow here too, about two metres

[edit] How did you get som many votes?

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 20:18 Edited at: 20th Dec 2010 20:18
@Master Man of Justice: Thanks man, I see what you mean and I'll keep those points in mind when I get to editing again!

@Cyborg ART: Thanks a lot!
I'll keep camera movement in mind, as I said, and try to make it less stiff.
Off-topic: I don't know really, lol. All I did was put a link on facebook and a couple of message boards. I gave yours a vote, btw.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 21:03
Quote: "Off-topic: I don't know really, lol. All I did was put a link on facebook and a couple of message boards. I gave yours a vote, btw. "

Voted on yours aswell
But I dont think there is anyone who can beat the guy with 300+ votes

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2010 15:06
I think toying with the Depth of field to emulate the camera focusing on different objects would be pretty cool too.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2010 15:36
Sounds like a great idea, CG. I'll try that out too!

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2010 20:31
I'd love to see you try a more conventional intro, something like an invasion. You're the master of the subtle, now try making a grand, all encompassing war. I'd love to see something like that!

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 02:54
Sounds very tempting, to say the least. It'll obviously be a lot more time consuming, but it'd so be worth it (I loved working on this cinematic, even though the last few weeks were really stressy.)

Perhaps I'll toy around with the existing assets in UDK and make something from that.

Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 08:24 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2010 08:25
Fantastic! Roger Wilco. If I may. Have that window to the left when your pan out the first time intact so that the illusion is still there before you get to the skeleton and maybe the not show so much of the one on the right. Another thing is maybe not pan so close to that alpha around the 0:51 Mark it stick out a little when you get so close.

In General that was very well done and well thought out. Great job.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 18:09
@Woolfman: That's a great idea, would keep the illusion alive for just a while longer.
Originally, the camera wasn't supposed to pan through the burnt wall at all. After adding in the camera movement, I decided that it was a bit empty in the room, so I added the burnt wall, and the camera happened to pan almost 'perfectly' through it. But I agree, I'll change it so that it doesn't get so close up to the alpha, it looks a bit ugly to see all that filtered alpha, lol.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2010 00:37
Np. It's just such a fantastic short that those minor things brake the realism just a tad. Very nice work.

Glad you uploaded it to share it's nice to see hard work paying off in such a good looking clip.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2010 03:13
Seen this ages ago on the UDK forum! Nice work!

Eidos!
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2010 00:33
Thanks, Rampage! I was supposed to make a thread for it here at the same time I posted it on the UDK boards, but it slipped my mind. For months.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2010 14:03
Quote: "Seen this ages ago on the UDK forum! Nice work!"

Same, it got quite a good reception from those guys, and they know their stuff.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 00:45
They certainly do, got some really great advice from off there as well. All tips and critiques combined should make this even more awesome, when I finally get to revisiting it.

Also, bumping this for more people to see.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 01:26:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 01:26:40