Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / First Sculpted Head

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 09:44 Edited at: 19th Dec 2010 09:45
Hi all,

I've decided that sculpting is the way to go to do very detailed organic, natural looking models, so I've been trying my hand at it. Here's my first sculpted head!

As I did this without any reference or idea of who to sculpt, I suppose it's turned out to be a young boy. To teach myself about the basics of sculpting heads, I adapted techniques from the tutorials found here.

Since I'm pretty much a sculpting noob (I'm very familiar with Blender's sculpting interface, but I haven't really sculpted anything before), I'd appreciate any C&C and any tutorials on sculpting various features of the face or body.

Please feel free to share any ideas of what I should do next with this model or other.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 09:49

I dont know if that model can go any better/realistic!

Cheers!

~Kamac
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 09:54
Haha, thanks!

I'm sure you mean except for the ears. I haven't really touched them yet.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 11:17
Well, ye they seem fixed in the head totally

Cheers!

~Kamac
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 11:20
looking good kira, the ears are too big however and the eyes are a tad too far apart, other than that i am impressed, the work you've done around the lips is very impressive

Madscientist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2010 17:13
Maybe the eyes are a tad to large but other than that it looks great!

My computer surpasses all the technologies of the day. What computer do I have?

Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 01:55
Thanks everyone!

@Mazz: I see what you mean. I've moved the eyes slightly closer together. The ears will come shortly, but I haven't done any work on them yet (I mean, they don't even look like ears yet )

@Madscientist: In the process of moving the eyes closer together, I set them back a little bit, so they look a bit smaller.

I haven't updated the OP, but I'll post back when I get some more work done. I've begun retopologizing, and then I hope to continue sculpting in more detail on the optimized mesh.

B++
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2010 17:56
Hi Kira:
Hope you don't mind if I ask you a question! How many polygons you are using to sulpt that? Is your eye attached or it is separate?
I am also sculpting a head. My first sculpt and without any tutorials. So, your answer will help me alot.

BTW, nice first sculpt

Regards

Your Signature Here;
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2010 18:58 Edited at: 21st Dec 2010 18:58
kira@ i forgot to mention that even though blender is a great program, it isnt really equiped for scultping, i recommend you download sculptris, it was released for free by pixologic and it's essentially a free version of zbrush, all be it without some features, hope this helps

Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 02:25
@B++: I don't mind at all. With the eyes included, the polycount is 511872. Also, the eyes are in a separate model (I just added a simple sphere that I mirrored and subdivided once). Which program are you using? It might be worthwhile to check out the link to the tutorials I put in the OP. Although they use Blender, and demonstrate the creation of a rather grotesque zombie head, I was able to adapt the general sculpting practices to heads of any kind.

@Mazz: Er.. I think Blender's plenty equipped for sculpting, as I have just demonstrated as a sculpting noob. The mesh I'm working on now is a quite high resolution, and could go even higher, when I need it to. And to provide even finer detail, I can just retopologize the mesh (currently it's only a flat grid) so that the underlying topology actually compliments the surface features. While the tools Blender has currently aren't quite as attractive as the "unlimited clay" offered by ZBrush and Sculptris, they are more than adequate. Actually, "unlimited clay" will be coming to Blender soon enough anyhow.

B++
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2010 08:49
Thanks a lot kira.
I hv only 56481 polys. Thats why I am having so much trouble to sculpt the lips and eyes and ears. I am using blender 2.49b.
Actually my connection is a little slow, thats why I can't watch video tutorials on the net. It takes hours to load .

Thanks, your reply helped me to understand my mistake. Now I will add some more levels .

Regards

Your Signature Here;
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 19:41
Id have to say that i agree with the sculpting cap. of blender. Im using 2.54 and though i dont do too much sculpting myself it seems to have a large tool set for sculpting purposes. I personally like the fact that i can use it on such a dated machine as mine, unlike sculptris and zbrush.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2010 11:08
I can use sculptris on my laptop
which is WORTHLESS
without effort.
starts lagging at about 500k polies though, but i can live with that

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2010 14:37
sculptris and zbrush have been optimised to cope with vast amounts of polies, blender may have been since i last used it for sculpting but the version i am using hasnt been, that is why i suggested a program built from the ground up for sculpting

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
blender can't compete with the amount of polygons zbrush can handle. Blender gets about a little less than a mil. and zbrush.. well lets just say quite a few millions more

banner.jpg
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2010 02:56
Even billions if i recall.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 00:25:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 00:25:36