Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Google sketchup---> Fps creator?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
Can I create models with google sketchup and export to FPSC (.x) ?
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2011 00:51 Edited at: 10th Jan 2011 01:06
there is a search thing right below me

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Crysis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 13:31
Yes, you can. Try search button

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 21:19 Edited at: 11th Jan 2011 21:23
not very helpful posts in my opinion, agreed that you can use the search button but a quick post saying that no you cant. Not directly at least, i dont think that sketchup supports .x exportation although i have seen people who have exported .x from sketchup, however the models produced by sketchup have many drawbakcs, they have to dynamic to allow the use of multiple textures for example. (as far as i know) if you want to make models for FPSC blender or milkshape are you best bets, but blenders free so i'd recommend that

funny i just found myself saying same thing in another thread

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 23:21
^Wrong. There are several different tutorials showing how this is done. I believe there is one in the OFPSCG (official fpsc community guide). Look in the docs section in your fpsc folder.
Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
even still, sketchup has little to no REAL modeling tools, or UV mapping tools. Or subdivision tools. and is extremely weak to the power of blender.

banner.jpg
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2011 04:53
The artist is what determines the outcome. I have seen many models from sketchup that are better than blender, simply because the artist was used to sketchup. It is indeed a modelling program. And you can model in sketchup, and texture using another program. Blender isn't the only tool you can use to make a good model. Although, if you want to really model, I recomend, after learning and becoming advanced, buying milkshape or even better. It is true sketchup isn't as powerful as others, including blender. Mainly because it can't animate.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2011 14:14 Edited at: 13th Jan 2011 14:15
sketchup also produces wastly many Ngons, or am i totally of the hook here?

Blender is amazing, but it is hard getting used to. Milkshape is very very good and simple, however the main drawback of it is the fact you cannot select stuff in the 3d window.

and I also agree with mazz about the 2 first posts, I mean you took your time to post an worthless message, which was useless to the one asking a question, but you couldnt take one minute to answer the question ahead?

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Crysis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2011 03:24 Edited at: 14th Jan 2011 03:28
Look..if you know how to use Google Sketchup...then it's the best for making models. It's easy to learn,good uv-maping (i know someone told it's bad...but probably he haven't tried it yet...there is many ways to make uvmap better and easier....

I think you need to try all programs that you think you will can handle....you will see..we can't tell you what is the best program for modeling till you try them. Because maybe for me Google Sketchup is better than blender...but someone other will say "Blender is better than Google Sketchup"...you know what i mean? So.. you need to find the right program..

And..yes..Google sketchup can export to .X, and yes it can make UVMAPS, and yes it can animate (there is plugin, but use something other for animating because its a bit hard), and yes its really good for me....

Best,
Crysis

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
jesus i say blender is better than sketchup because it IS. no subdivision modeling, can hardly export anythign without a hassle.
No proper polygon editing..its a nono for game modeling. No beveling tools, no chamfering edge connecting...nothing

banner.jpg
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2011 00:03
Camouflage... those things just make a modelers life easier. All of those things are possible in sketchup, they just require more work to accomplish. Crysis is way up there on the best modelers I know. And you can't make a model period without polygon editing.... so I can garente it has it. The fact of the matter is it is the modeler that makes the models, not the program. I myself like Milkshape BECAUSE you can't select things in the 3d window. It is all up to the modeler. But back on topic, you have to download a plugin to export to .x, and you can't import it back.
Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Camouflage... those things just make a modelers life easier. All of those things are possible in sketchup, they just require more work to accomplish"

that makes no sense. (im sorry if this offends anyone) but the whole entire goal is to make something easier for yourself. ESPECIALLY involving modeling, making it harder to work by using sketchup is just illogical, and frankly, stupid, when there is another FREE program...that will make it easier. And with all the plugin crap. ITS NOT WORTH IT. get blender, get a student version of 3ds max or Maya FOR FREE FROM AUToDESK (as long as your in college or high school) MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER!!!

banner.jpg
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 01:34
Lets drop this now. People can use whatever modeller they are most comfortable with, even if there is a better one out there.

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
good idea biggadd, sorry, just trying to spread some knowledge

banner.jpg
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 04:55
My apologies.
Crysis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 11:09
Lool...i dont want to rush someones work or something...i want to tell you that Google Sketchup is not the best one there..but, its good..Yeah... they just require more work to accomplish. Google Sketchup really fits my style.

And..yes..Google sketchup can export to .X, and yes it can make UVMAPS, and yes it can animate (there is plugin, but use something other for animating because its a bit hard), and yes it can make normal and spectacular maps, and yes it can make characters, and yes he can make really good models, and yes you can export to .x and then import it back. and yes its really goood for me.

Delta_Force
Years of Service
User Offline
Google sketch up is a great program for modeling. It is simple and you can learn quick. You CAN limit poly count by editing the amount of segments alowed. Also It is easier to eliminate faces then in blender (my opinion). I find it easy and fun to model in Sketch Up. And there are a heck of a lot of plugins that allow you to export into fpsc. Now Im not sure of the file required to export (I think its .x) but I have been able to export my sketch up models into blender with no problem. The first time I exported a simple health item it had 12756 polys. Hella lot. But as I learned I reduce the poly count to 230 with drasticaly changing the features. Anyways I like sketchup and it works well in my games. But that is just my opinion.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 03:38:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 03:38:35