Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Scifi Chain Gun (and other scifi weapons) for FPSC. Work in progress

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 23:04 Edited at: 16th Jan 2011 23:14
Hey guys.

There seems to be a lack of any high quality scifi guns in the fps creator universe, so I took upon the liberty to make my own.

This is the Chaingun. I've got the height and ambient occlusion done, and I will do the diffuse texture tommarow. I'll also see if I can email EAI to see if I can rig some hands to it (once it's done). The model comes in aorund 1500 polys. the maps are all hand done without the use of a high poly modeling program like 3ds max.

The final weapon(s) likely wont be free, I'll probably do a pack of em and sell them for a good price, depending on how many I do.

I was inspired by these:

Tell me what you think!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 23:19
Quote: "There seems to be a lack of any high quality scifi guns in the fps creator universe, so I took upon the liberty to make my own."

I totaly agree

Srry about my english im from sweeden
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2011 23:57

Heres a new image of a temporary metal texture baked on the model, the final will look alot different, but I just did this because it is hard to visualize what it may look like when it is just white.
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 00:32
good job mate it looks great

cheers henry

gendestroier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 17:45
nice

mods for creating a inteligent game,at least
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 21:00
I can't use the FPSC incarnation, but I'd love to buy the Max files for converting into UDK. Model looks great, and I think you'll make a great texture for it as well.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2011 21:44 Edited at: 17th Jan 2011 21:45
@coffeegrunt: thanks! I remember that one plasma gun I made a while ago.. I've really come along way . Unfortunately, milkshape doesn't have a max export would 3ds be okay?

Anyway, I'm about a little more than halfway through the diffuse texture, will have it done hopefully by today. I'm thinking of making the triangle things lighter. I also have a lot of shadowing to do after the diffuse texture is done, but that won't be a hard job . I wish milkshape has a model previewer like darkshader so you can preview models with normalmaps, etc. It will look a lot sharper with the normal and spec maps.

Comments/crit appreciated.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 12:23
starting to look amazing it is!

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 14:05
Almost done on the diffuse...

Any criticism so far? please feel free to tell me because I want to make it good. I need your feedback
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 19:14
Looks great!
But some edges of the texture looks too black, I dont know how to explain it better. But judging from the pictures it looks a little bit cartoony.

But with some shadermaps it will look just perfect

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2011 21:50
It's probably because I just put a quick bump map filter on the texture in gimp, just to make it more defined. Thats probably why. Wont be in the final version.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 14:14
Sorry didn't realise you were using Milkshape, the MS3D file would be great, then I can run it through Milkshape's own PSK exporter.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 21:25
Quote: "Sorry didn't realise you were using Milkshape, the MS3D file would be great, then I can run it through Milkshape's own PSK exporter.

"

Really shows the true power of milkshape, doesn't it?
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 21:52 Edited at: 19th Jan 2011 21:54
Looks good. From what i understand fps is limited on poly caps (I dont use it.) So for a low poly model... excellent work. Espesially like the fact that the normals (grayscale?) are all hand done... I personally like to do the normals by had as well because when your using an outdated machine like mine sculpting can be a drag. To be clear i have enough power to sculpt most things... just not effectively. Anyway good work, and i hope to see more!

Edit: Rechecked your post.... didnt see anytihng about normals... but great work none the less.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 22:19
Quote: "(grayscale?) "

Thats the ambient occlusion. It;s basically a shadowed version of your heightmap that you draw, but it is white. You put it over a generic texture, in this case a metal texture, and set it to multiply in a photo editor. There are normal maps for the gun, though. You'll see them in a final render
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2011 23:28
Sorry... what id do is use a greyscale to effect normal value instead of doing a normal bake from a high poly... its an older method thats just my personal preference. I just misread your post thats all some were i thought i read "hand drawn normal" but that was yesterday when i looked and i just didnt reread before i posted. The normal map on the character in my banner has a hand drawn normal map. Anyway good work.

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good how many weapons do u plan to make? ill deff buy them
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 01:17 Edited at: 21st Jan 2011 01:20
I'll probably just keep making them until I run out of ideas, so there will probably be alot I made this one in about 4 days. But it really depends on how big the weapon is. But heres a preview of the next one weapon am working on... I'm practically finished with the chaingun, just need to do the shadowing and finessing. I will animate these when I am done modeling all of them. Modeling gun handles is probably the biggest challenge on guns like these, it's hard to get them realistic like EAI does

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 01:42
looks like you have a couple backwards faces. overall it looks good. i hope you deleted the unseen faces of the cylinder on the side.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 02:22 Edited at: 21st Jan 2011 02:23
@Design Runner: Yes I did

I'm done with the chaingun diffuse, now I have to shade it (make shadows according to the polygons) there are some backwards texts on it but thats no big deal. This is the chaingun with the umbumped texture, thats why it looks a little flatter than the previous shots.

Stay tuned!
Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 02:30 Edited at: 21st Jan 2011 02:33
DAAANNNGG!!! Looks awesome! reminds me of Unreal Tournament 2004. Ahh, the classics...
Needs some bump mapping, other than that, it looks kick-butt!
Can't wait to see the rest!

20th Anniversary
The Unofficial Migration Suggestion Board
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166736&b=26
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 02:38 Edited at: 21st Jan 2011 02:42
Quote: "Needs some bump mapping"

The final will have diffuse normal and spcular maps, so they will look truly beautiful when they are done . There will be many more, trust me
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2011 03:20
looks great.
SH4773R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2011 09:41
Looks great, I bet im too late sence your done texturing and all but the ammo drum looks a little too small. It looks fine though I would buy this model if I had any money.
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2011 14:15
@commico I'll fix that in a bit
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 02:15
Dont worry guys, I am still working on the pack, I will just post some new screens every time I finish a couple weapons, these things take time
Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
looks nothing like metal, looks like stone, and you can blame the "dont worry it'll look good with normal and spec" but it wont look good then if it doesn't look good now, and it doesn't.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/articles/news/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/ enjoy that tutorial, learn something, have fun

banner.jpg
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 03:52 Edited at: 25th Jan 2011 03:53
OMG thanks for the tut! I loved it!

I was worried that it would look like stone, MaybeI should give it another go for the chaingun, shouldn't be too hard. I've always wanted to make metal like thant!

I've changed my mind about updating Ill keep on posting everytime I have something new Heres the finished but untextured assaultrifle

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 04:52
cool

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2011 04:54
o god, please fix those normals, it hurts my eyes! Other than that it looks great. I look forward to these, as I may need them.
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2011 03:56
waa??

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2011 08:39
fix those smoothing groups**

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 02:46 Edited at: 6th Mar 2011 02:46
Hey, sorry it's been a long time, been working on this under the radar for a while. I've been taking Camo Studio's advice and practicing my textureing for a long time too... But here's a quickie I made today in about 30 mins, it's an oddball. The rings'll move when it's floating (still have to animate it ), and it will look super cool with bloom (because the runes and center ball will have glow maps )

I tried my best not to make it look like stone. I hope it payed off, I don;t want anyone to think that this project is dead.

Image Attached.

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 03:42
I've also made retextures of the stick scifi weapons today which I'll give away for free when the pack is released (I have to make them free anyway). Here's a couple examples. This way people who don't want the pack can get some nice stock retextures, so everyone wins! The vickers gun I will do tommarow.

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 23:43
hey man, that metal looks alot better... it still could use a bit of work (maybe tone the grunge down just a little more)but hey its 10x better then it was.... good work!

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 00:03
Quote: "(maybe tone the grunge down just a little more)"

Thanks! I thought it looked better myself. But I wanted it to be a little grungy, since I wanted the oddball to look like it was an acient metal artifact

On the other hand, here's the re-done vickers. I tried to emulate the gears of war style guns. It will come with "cog and locust" skins. Personally I think it looks really good, except I don't know if you can add illumination shaders to guns... This will be pert of the free retextures.

comments and/or crit is welcome

Attachments

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 02:20
I just finished redoing the glaive as well, and I've also modified it to have 3 blades, to make it look more menacing. When 1.18 comes out with scrpitable flak I'll probably make it so it has an alt texture to blink before it explodes I'll probably get rid of the yellow stripes, but if you guys think it's cool then I'll leave them.

Pic attached

Attachments

Camouflage Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
do not use a black background.....ever.....

banner.jpg
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 13:22
well, by all means use a black backround
if the object isnt dark

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 02:50
Let's just say the background should adequately contrast the object

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 07:30
sigh... black background or not you did improve in metal texture... camo is kind of like my boss... will always let you know were you went wrong but wont let you know whats good... its always good to have someone give you a boost... keep you motivated. (and there is a difference between that an lip service...) If you were to go to camos, my own, or anyone's thread youll find something you dont like or something with a problem with it. Give credit were its due and keep it real at the same time. Your work isnt perfect... nor is camos, nor is mine. What i think he doesnt like about black backgrounds is that most objects are obscured with a black background. Were it might be useful though is objects/models with emit lighting... etc. for thes models maybe use like a light colored background that better shows the whole model.

Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 23:03 Edited at: 8th Mar 2011 23:04
Quote: "that most objects are obscured with a black background"

Quote: " black background or not you did improve in metal texture"

I didn't really think the black background relly obscured it, but now that you mention it it sort of makes sense. I am considering getting darkshader too, so maybe I can start making more higher quality shots with shaders applied instead of a diffuse or diffuse 2 texture. But I can reupload them with a lighter background if y'all want.

thanks for complimenting my texturing, though. I really practiced for a while trying to pull off the right effect
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2011 23:55
My latest work - I redid the assault rifle gun. It just seemed too blocky. I am also liking the curviness of the newer version, which was inspired by some of mass effect's weapons. Cant wait to texture! The current material attached to it is the heightmap.

Ps: Ive been a bit preoccupied lately with school so I have not always been able to work, but now luckily I've had some free time so I have been able to continue working on this.

Attached...

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 18:11:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 18:11:35