Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / My model act really weird [directX exporter from blender]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2011 23:59
So.. I attached an image that shows the three stages of the model.. Basically when in blender view, it looks perfectly normal. When in directxviewer, he misses an arm but only when exporting with armatures.
But in my darkGDK game it looks really weird and messed up. Like a little box. Any ideas to why this might happen?

Btw the model is animated.

I can post any information you might need to help fix this for me.
And in advance thanks

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 00:16
my guess is the following. You parented each part of the model as seperate objects using parent to bone in pose mode. What i would do is clear all your parents to the armature... select all the parts of the character mesh, hit ctrl j to join them, create an armature modifier for your mesh, select the appropriate armature for the modifier. Using vertex groups assign each part to the correct bone. (Rig the model basically.) Select the make real button on the armature modifier (not the apply button.) and export with all the settings that you require for your situation.

If that doesnt work let me know and ill see what else i can do. BTW which version of blender are you using??

TheDuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2011 00:34
Well, to be honest i didn't make this model a friend made it for me so the exact specs is unknown to me, and he just went unavailable for today. But i have found that it is already made by an armature modifier. I will upload the .blend file it might help the case. And i am using blender 2.49b for this model.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 11:03 Edited at: 7th Feb 2011 11:04
Hark! Fear not, for I am about to get my lazy arse in gear and finish updating the 2.49 exporter. I think it'll solve some problems people have been experiencing. I'm almost done bringing it up to where the 2.5x exporter is, so keep an eye out on the thread in my sig.

Edit: And how strange... I've never experienced a difference between how the DirectX Viewer displays a model and how DBPro does it. Weird.

TheDuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 16:27
I will check in every day then
TheDuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 17:10
Played a little around with the exporter and it only seems to come with errors when i export the object with keyframes instead of full animations, however exporting full animations is not really desireable for me and also it doesn't export any animations when i do. I may have to look into how to export animations. But is it me doing anything wrong in the keyframes or is it possibly the exporter?
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 23:25
Wait, Full Animation? That's not part of the 2.49 exporter yet. Have you switched to 2.5? And it's weird that no animation is exported..

I just took a look at your .blend file and it seems that the weights are a little screwed up. I just deleted the armature modifier, deleted all of the weight groups, and then parented the mesh to the armature using the automatic skinning and things are working fine now. I exported using Include Frame Rate, Export Armatures, and Full Animation.

However, there seems to be a problem with IK and the exporter. Unlike what I thought, the changes to the bone's orientation by the IK constraint aren't visible via the method I was using to get the bone's orientation. Well crap. I'm going to have to fix that.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 08:34
Just to let you know, I've finished updating the 2.49 exporter. There's more info on the exporter thread in my sig.

The 2.49 exporter works exactly like the 2.5 exporter now, but I don't think it's going to solve your problem. Like I mentioned before, the weights are kinda screwy in your .blend file, which is messing with the export.

Also, there's still the issue with the IK constraints, which has not yet been fixed in either exporter.

TheDuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 13:23 Edited at: 9th Feb 2011 14:44
Just had time to look back to it now, and yeah i switched temporarily to 2.5 because you said 2.5 worked better Well, i haven't tried using parent armature to bone, because i have to find out how to do it first *Doh* I'm pretty new to animations obviously..But if you say it works i will try to figure out how to do it 1k thanks for your help and 1k thanks for making the awesome exporter

Edit: How is it that the weights are weird? Again i'm a starter at animations. And is it possible to fix the weight?
It might be totally irrelevant but i'm trying to snatch knowledge everywhere i can

Edit again: So i got it working parent mesh to armature, used Create from bone heat. And it worked fine, untill i exported it then there were no animations. Loading it into my DGDK project i can see that the object has 40 frames but doesn't move in any of them.
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2011 21:51 Edited at: 9th Feb 2011 21:51
Hmm, here, lemme list the steps I took to make it work correctly

1. I downloaded your file, proto_rigged_3.blend, and opened it with Blender 2.49b

2. I selected the mesh in Object Mode and under the Editing Panel, I deleted the armature modifier, and then deleted each vertex group on the object by spamming the Delete button in the Vertex Groups section of the Link and Materials box. This is important to erase any trace of the previous weighting.

3. With the mesh still selected, I Shift+Selected the armature (any bone in the armature) so that both the mesh and the armature were selected (armature must be selected last) and hit CTRL+P to parent the mesh to the armature using Bone Heat.

4. Then I just exported the model with Include Frame Rate, Export Armatures, either Keyframes or Full Animation, and All Objects.

5. The exported model loaded and played in the DirectX viewer, and in DBPro (I dunno about DGDK, but I can imagine they'd behave the same).

I hope that helps. Let me know if you still have questions.

TheDuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 10:58
Well now this gets annoying, i do exactly as you do in the steps above, and the object is animated in blender and everything.. But when i export it, the object is static in a

o
-[]-
||
position like that^... I am sure i followed your list step by step, i even did it on two different computers to see if it was my version of blender. But still same result..
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 11:18
*Facepalm* Rereading my list, I think I've forgotten a very important step. You need to make the armature modifier real. After parenting the mesh to the armature, select the mesh and then click the "Make Real" button you'll see under the mesh's modifier list.

Sorry about that.

TheDuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 13:41 Edited at: 10th Feb 2011 15:53
Yeah that solved it Now my idle animation is working.. There is still a little bit of problems with the walk cycle but if the idle animation is working thats probably something i'm doing wrong

Edit: Nvm the walk cycle was messing because of the IK-constraints (yeah i forgot about them)

Thank you for all your help you have been great! ^^
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 21:41
Thats crazy that so many people are still having problems with the exporter. I think i had maybe one instance were something wasnt working right for me in the 2.5 exporter. 2.49 i had more but it was still by far the best exporter ive come across for direct x. Maybe i was on the same wave length as kira and just seemed to know what to do... lol.

Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 21:48
@TheDuke: Yeah, sorry about that. Everything should work fine by removing the constraints and animating the legs via FK.

@PrimalBeans: lol, I suppose we do think a bit alike. But what's the development process supposed to be like? 20% actual development time/80% support? That sounds about accurate. lol

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 21:54
Actually i dont think ive had problem with ik chains either. One thing that i do when i animate:

I divide the animation into parts like so

I determine the number of frames a cycle should take.

i create the initial and end poses

then i go between and write in the keyframes between.

When i create a keyframe i write the key frame for every bone:

hit a to select all bones and then hit i to insert a keyframe and select pose rotation translation and scale. So basically im still using the ik chain to create the pose but im capturing the bones as though they were all individually moved. Seems to work just fine for me.

Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 21:57
Ah, very good idea. I think that should solve the problem here.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 06:27:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 06:27:43