Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Adding objects to existing models..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 08:47
If I create new objects to add to already existing and textured models, say helmets, armor and other "attachments" would that mess up there current texture?

Would I have to do a new UV Map, then edit the texture of the new objects into the texture as well as refit the original texture?
Link102
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 13:18
depending on how many uv layers your model file type supports, you can add a second uv layer and unwrap the helmet on that.

ofcourse you could just add the helmet to the mesh as a separate object.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 21:46
what do you use to model??

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 21:57
In general if the program supports it,you can unwrap the helmets , etc and move the uv coordinates outside of the regular uv space.

Then attach everything to your base model and apply another unwrap modifier.

You should see both uv coordinates merged together and since you moved the accessories' uv beforehand,there won't be any overlaps and you'll just have to make room in the uv space (scale down most of the time) where the base model unwrap is.

PC Specs:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz,NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480,12GB RAM,2x Western Digital 997GB HDD
That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 09:36
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread and thank you for replying.

Quote: "what do you use to model"

I am using Ac3d mainly now.

Quote: "ofcourse you could just add the helmet to the mesh as a separate object"

So in Ac3d I would just open the primary model, create my accessary as if it were the only model I was working with, UV Map it texture it. Place it on the primary model where I want it, use the texture coordate editor to tidy everything up, render to texture (tga from ac3d) then open in photoshop (nvidia texture plugin) make sure it looks all tidy touch it up if I need or want to then export as dds?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 07:53:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 07:53:44