Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Character modeling

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm new to modeling. I have searched by might have missed it. I have seen people model characters with arms straight out. I'm trying to find out if you have to model them this way? I ask because one of my best character models (at least I think it is.) I modeled with the arms down to the side.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2011 22:59
you definitly dont HAVE to, but it is certanly more practical for animation purposes. They can obv also be repositioned =)

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2011 01:35
I think that subject is kind of personal preference. I commonly dont model them that way but thats just my style. A relaxed position works nicely too. One thing that is important is not modeling in any kind of extreme pose position... use a good neutral position to reduce extreme deformity and texture stretching. I would be more concerned with proper edgeloop construction at joints and mesh weight then i would be about the perfect T configuration.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2011 14:04
A T configuration sure makes it easier to rig, but I completely agree with PrimalBeans - it's more important for your model to look good, than be easy to animate. I would tend to use a T when the character has a lot of movement in their arms, say for a platform game character. But for a FPS, I think that a slight bend in the elbows, with the arms down at the sides is good - try and think of a neutral pose that would go into holding a gun or weapon switftly.

Shoulders always trip me up, they can deform so much and so badly - getting them right is time consuming, but time well spent I think. Knees are a problem too, but not as much. Try and think about how your model will deform, add in some extra polygons, be clinical with your edgeloops too.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2011 14:30
In my opinion you should model the character with arms straight out and legs stretched out as well. Makes for easier rigging.

51fa1db0ec7c4af52d93a6f5d0e86bc5
Ed at Thoughtwire Software
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2011 14:37
First of all if you're new to modeling I wouldn't recommend you model a charactor, but the reason why many people model their charactors with the arms straight out is because it makes rigging the charactor for animation more simple

www.thoughtwire.co.uk
3D Modeller and Animator
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2011 22:24
Quote: "Shoulders always trip me up, they can deform so much and so badly - getting them right is time consuming, but time well spent I think. Knees are a problem too, but not as much. Try and think about how your model will deform, add in some extra polygons, be clinical with your edgeloops too.
"

Argh... shoulders. They are tricky. I always end up with the folding faces and the shoulder mesh cutting into the chest. This is were vert weights really help out. One thing i do that seems to help is rig a bone for the right and left half of the clavicle and a bone for the each side of the rib cage and have the collar deform the shoulder and and mesh that defines the pectorials. One thing that makes it difficult for people is that they dont realize the actual rotation limits of the humerus. Your humeros actually locks paralell to your clavical and any other upward movement of your arm is actually in your shoulder.
This is kind of why i dont like the 'T' config. I like to share the deformation evenly across the armature. So when i move the humerus im not deforming too much in any one direction. Anyway on that note when rigging and animating i like to use my own body as a reference when working up movement limitations, or even when setting up constraints.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-26 18:48:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-26 18:48:59