Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Wings 3d UV mapping, need help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2011 23:35
Ok, so I made a nice Gewehr 43 mesh. I had several different groups. I UV mapped each group. So now I want to leave one group alone and combine the rest to have 2 UV maps. I do this, but something just goes wrong. The materials don't change at all, and if I try to make a texture it messes up the other group. Any thoughts on how I can do this properly?

"If you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best"
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 03:44
Why do you want two UVmaps? You should just make one and make it a bigger size.
I don't quite get what you're trying to say either.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 03:49
I want two because fpsc can't be expected to render a texture larger than 1024 for just a gun without a large fps drop. So I am making the gun and the clip with two different UV maps so I can have a lot of quality on the clip where I need it. Thanks again GJ, for the... how many times is it?

Learn to model and script, and use the search bar. The answer to all FPSC questions
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 03:58
To be honest you can fit the whole thing on a 1024x1024 map, you just have to get it right. Fill up as much space as you possibly can on the map. Besides if you have it all on one map, you can have normal mapping shader effects.
The Gewehr had a very simple clip, almost square, and quite small, so it should be easy to fit on the map.

BTW, can I see your mesh?
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 04:01
There is the mesh. I will try doing one UV map I guess, hopefully I don't get the same error.

Learn to model and script, and use the search bar. The answer to all FPSC questions
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 04:03
Are you getting the internal error message?
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 04:12
I wasn't getting any error message, it wasn't letting me make my UV map external or anything. It was rather strange. Well I put the clip onto the other UV map, and everything worked fine. I'm just hoping I can still get good quality on it. Thanks a ton GJ.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 04:17
Hmm I don't think I have had that happen before.
After you texture your gun, you can improve the tex a bit by baking ambient occlusion in it. (tools\ambient occlusion) then overlay the AO texture onto the diffuse texture.

I need to go to bed now though, good luck!
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2011 04:43
For when you wake up: I figured out what was wrong, in hindsight. I had to delete all but two materials, then re-assign them. One to the body of the gun the other to the click. O well, too late.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2011 02:24
While I have a wings 3d thread open (sorry for double post btw) I might as well ask, how do I get a cylinder to be bend properly at an angle. I can't seem to get it correct.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 01:22:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 01:22:33