Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Unwrapping advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I use blender and I was curious for all those other blender users. How do you go about unwrapping your models. Do you have any tips? I just need some advice because this is the part i struggle with most with modeling

Softwizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2011 14:59 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2011 15:01
Good question.
I am learning Blender and have been exporting the model as an obj and using wings3d to uv map.

I cant find a usefull blender uv mapping tutorial anywhere, I hope somebody can point us in the right direction.

This is the Blender manual section on UV texturing:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Textures/UV

And here is the part on unwrapping a mesh:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Textures/UV/Unwrapping_a_Mesh

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2011 07:47 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2011 07:58
youtube has some handyone... When you do your unwrap... you have to make your cuts were they are going to have the least amount of impact and create the least amount of texture stretch. so make seams were they might naturally be and are easy to hide but beware to create them also were it is easyly humanably mapable as well.

here are some tuts i found:

Note: idont agree with everything done here but the unwarp and uv info is good. so try it out.

pictionaryjr
Years of Service
User Offline
yea. i jsut have trouble because they get stretched out and i can't do complex objects. I would have never been able to do your dinosaur lol. every tutorial i find on google is with primitive shapes like that pepsi can even tho he says coke through the whole video. btw why did you post a video of eye shadow?

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2011 13:05
the vid on eye makeup really helped me,i look so much sexyer now lol

cheers henry

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 08:11 Edited at: 7th Apr 2011 08:13
Well the trick with complex objects is breaking them down. Ill try and help out the best i can (Im not good at explaining things...) What i would do is do some uv on a bunch of primitives. Then when you get to much more complex objects the trick is to figure out how the object is best cut to lay flat and keep the seems down to a minimum. This usually comes with practice. Another thing that would help is get ahold of models that you think look really good and are mapped well and study were the cuts are made. It will give you some reference as to were you should make seems. Im no expert myself... lol my programming buddy on my project had to help me with an unwarp last night (Symetry problem) so even when you think you have it there is always somehting to learn. SO the biggest part is to just keep trukin, expirementing and learning. Before you know it there will be something else to learn. Do like i said though: Learn the characteristics of unwarping, do primitives and then put the combined knowledge together for complex objects. Ill even leave you with an analogy: Consider your model a turkey and the map a piece of sarran wrap. When you wrap that turky up think about what stretches. Thats kind of how uv works. Heres an image:

As for the makeup tut... i was trying it myself and i decided i would share... since the results were so sexy....

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 00:25
I am in the process of making a model AK-74U, and I have got some good comments so I have decided to turn it into a tutorial that will include the modeling, uv unwrapping, bumping, texturing and animation once I finish it I will make a new thread this should answer all of our questions because the pros always comment and agree with the plan or give advise on better steps and even missing steps give me a week or 2 and I will start this new tutorial thread.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:55:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:55:06