Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / What to include in a portfolio

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2011 13:22
Hi,

I am going to apply for a few gamerelated jobs, and I guess a portfolio is a must have.

But I cant really figure how to put it together, are there any rules on how it should be made?

How is your portfolio built up?

Notice that this is not a for a website based portfolio, where you could have compress lots of images, videos and info on a small space. I am looking into making a portfolio that could be printed on A4 sheets (of course not on 1 sheet )

Any commenst are welcome, I will show the progress as soon as I know where to start.

The positions I am looking for mainly are:
-Tetxure artist
-3D artist
-Concept artist

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2011 13:47
The only advice I can give you is when applying for a position as an artist, it's best to show a range of skills, some character portraits, props (with good textures), scenery, and generally anything you are most proud of. (ie what you consider some of your best work)

Some of the time if you get through the first interview, they might ask you to do something that fits a particular style. In the end they are always looking for an artist that can adapt to whatever projects they have running.

Also, having a web site that you can post more images is always good, you just need to type the URL link in your resume. If they are interested they can go check it out.

Cheers and Good luck.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2011 13:57
well what all companies are looking for is someone who can take an idea from concept to the final product, a game ready model running in a realtime rendering engine, much like the Marmouset toolbag. You may have seperate jobs for texure artists and 3D artists but when applying to either of these they really want to see that you can do both, as it shows that as a texture artist you're able to take a mesh and create a seamless texture for it, and as a 3D artist it shows that you undestand how to build your mesh to enable decent UV mapping.

now I'm not employed in the industry, so if I were you I'd definately get another few opinions, if it's at all possible mabey try dropping JFletcher an email, he may not be able to reply but you never know.

From my experience people want to see that you can produce something that could be used in game, not something thats 80,000 polies with a 4096*4096 texture. Also try entering competetitions like Dominence War V, there's a lot of tough competition but it's a very good way to get your name out there. And (final thought) try posting on other forums, mabey gameartisans and CGhub, as these forums get a lot of activity from scouts looking for potential employees.

hope this helps and good luck

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2011 00:30
also some good advice here from one of the industrys top pros

http://andeegee.php5.truth.posiweb.net/blog/getting-into-the-games-industry...-3d-artist

cheers henry

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2011 06:46
Im not in the industry.. but from my book the turnover is high in the programming department of game studios... I would assume that this is true about everyone except high ups. The more you can do well the better... So heres what i think: if you suck at props and are good at characters focus on characters visa versa... Show them were your strong. If i was looking for an artist i would love someone who could do it all becuase i would want someone i could get my moneys worth out of. (Im not looking for and artist because im a janitor....) So.. like everything else in this world companies are looking to squeaze everything the can out of you for the price that there paying.

I would either be one of the following:

Absolutely well versed in everything
or extremely good at one thing

So good at one thing that the company sees you as thier messiah who will create the next great art for them.

STYLE is another thing that you should be familiar with. You should be able to work in more then one style. If you only work well in cartoony type objects you wont be good in a real life simulation... i would look for this kind of stuff. A variety of flavor should be included in your media on top of a variety of subject matter.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:28:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 07:28:33