Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / [A little assistance please] Can you tell me what 3D & Texure programs you run daily?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2011 03:20 Edited at: 18th Apr 2011 03:32
I hope no one minds me asking for help here, but I would like to make something that might help all of you a bit.

[1] Can you list for me the 3D programs you use daily?

[2] Can you tell me what the directory path is to the installed exe for that program is?

[3] Can you tell me, if any, specific file directories associated with the program?

Example: 3D World Studio has directories you have to use in order to import your textures and models.

[4] Can you list your favorite online 3D resources, blogs, marketplaces, online magazines?

What this is about

I am teaching myself how to program in VB and have some very basic knowledge now of some simple features and I want to impliment them into something simple for everyone.

What I want to do is make a PhotoShop(ish) or Expression Design(ish) UI, that will allow you to:

[1] Launch all of the 3D and Texuring programs you use daily.

[2] Allow you to drag and drop straight from the UI to the directories associated with your programs.

[3] From the UI, allow a feature where you could drag and drop a file to an Icon associated with a program and it will open it with that program.

Example: Drag n drop a model file to the Ac3d icon and it will open Ac3d and load the model.

[4] From a menu and or icon launch your favorite 3D online resources. (possibly have feeds in the UI, that depends on the site allowing syndication)

Feel free to make other suggestions, just keep in mind I am not able to do anything amazing just yet.

This is about Accessability!

I know I can look for myself what 3D programs are out there and I am aware of the major ones (Sculptris and 3DMax) , but I want to make this specific for you guys \ gals.

Current Programs List - For starters the initial main menu will be structured as follows:
-3D-
Fragmotion
AC3D
3DWS
Sculptris
Milkshape 3D
Wings 3D
Blender
AutoDesk Suite (3Dmax ect..)
Zbrush

-Texture-
Paint.net
PhotoShop (Elements and CS versions)
Gimp

Please make your suggestions and I will add them to the lists in the right categories and please, if they have specific directories associated with them please list those as well.
I will attempt to stay on this list as best as I can, so that I am ready to start putting your UI together once I am done with FPSC OneSource.

Some of you may have noticed I am working on something similar for FPSC, eek everything is so scattered for those resources

FPSC OneSource [DeskTop App] - Bringing everything together into one.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2011 20:54
Wings 3d is my main program, Program Files (x86), I keep all my models in a folder in the "pictures" library, called "models". This sounds great. Would it be possible to have a connection between the fpsc and 3d app so I can model my entities, then just drop them into my fpsc files and create a fpe?

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2011 21:35
I do use wings 3d too in Program Files. I keep all my models on the desktop, in folder called 'wings_modele' along with the textures.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2011 22:26
on my school computer:
G:\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010
on my other computer: C:\Program Files(x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010

saves everything in a model folder on the desktop

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 01:36
I use Blender which the Path (in my computer) is
C:\Program Files\blender-2.49b-windows\
But if you have the installer version it's
C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\

You should make a Vista and Windows 7 version since the name of the program files on Windows 7 is "Program Files (x86)" and the one on Vista, XP, and below is just "Program Files".

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 03:42
Quote: "Would it be possible to have a connection between the fpsc and 3d app so I can model my entities, then just drop them into my fpsc files and create a fpe?
"

Currently with my build of FPSC OneSource here on my end, you will be able to drag and drop to all FPSC folders.
As for creating a FPE file, I will have , in the standard menu, a launcher to open a new text file so you can create an FPS file from scratch. FPSC OneSource can also FPI EditPad.

My plan for this list you all are giving me feed back on is really for something similar to FPSC OneSource, but completely separate.
I could however combine the two.
I was just not sure how much of a demand for FPSC related functions would be for you 3D guys / gals.

Right now I am using the listing HERE , to find and install some of the free programs to find there install locations and related folders. So that I can have a starting point.

I am not getting any feedback at all on FPSC OneSource, so thank you for showing some interest in this here.

I will keep a primary focus on just the 3D programs in this project for now. Unless it becomes a big demand, then I will combine the two.

I added the apps you all suggested, keep them coming and thank you for your feedback. Ask me any questions you would like on this.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 05:44
you could have a feature to add your own shortcut, have a dropbox on the form and whenever you press a button, it adds a selection and the path to go along with it.

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 06:48
Travis,
Noted your suggestion in my .. well notes..

I still haven't made heads or tails of creating user settings or giving the ability for a user to create their own controls but it is on my list.

I am really glad to be getting any feedback at all on this, so thank you and keep it coming.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 17:54
your welcome. i dont think it would be that hard, VB wouldn't be much of a programming language without the ability to dynamically add things to a dropbox...

That Guy John
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 19:56
Yes, it is possible, but dynamicly adding controls and allowing users to add controls are two different things.

As said, the ability for a user to add controls is on my list.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:40:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:40:29