Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Modelling a small interior - program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2011 22:15
Hi. What would you recommend for modeling an 3d interior of let's say, small school? I did think about 3d world studio, but it cannot do too detailed ... details (or maybe it can?), wings 3d would be good as last option... What are your thoughts guys?

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 04:18 Edited at: 19th Apr 2011 04:22
Well you would want to do all individual objects, invdividually So things liked desks and doors would be their own models (Use a modeling program as opposed to a level editor type for this). Then for the architecture, it's really up to you. I personally prefer using a modular system as much as possible because it allows for a lot of flexibility and creativity if done correctly. Then I usually import the modular parts into a level editor and move them around to my pleasing (3DWS would be fine for this). However, if you just want to get a quick sketch or just a quick level done then maybe use 3D World Studio to block out the walls. Then with the individual objects you can either import them into 3DWS or load them separately. Hope this helps!

As a summary, I would use 3D World Studio to block out a level and to assemble individual pieces. I would use 3ds Max (in your case, Blender would be the best choice) for the individual static meshes.

This might be good for you to look at: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ModularLevelDesign.html

"So hold your head up high and know, it's not the end of the road"
Switch Game Engine
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 04:46
I'm struggling to remember the name of the program, its by autodesk. I think it is called revit.... but that should be what you are looking for. I used it for a week in drafting, but I can't remember the name.

spider
Years of Service
User Offline
3ds max is one lovely program!once u used to it, u will do things at ease. lots of power!

No referral programs thanks!
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 07:28
Quote: "3ds max is one lovely program!once u used to it, u will do things at ease. lots of power!"

Waste of money unless your a professional.

Any 3d modeling program can build interior buildings. Two of the top free ones, Blender and Truespace can do this, use multiple textures and create lightmaps. You could easily assemble a level, create a lightmap then export it into sections for optimization.

entomophobiac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 17:49
Google's SketchUp has a lot of ready-made assets that work well for interior sketches. It's actually a quite competent program.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 18:09
Allright, thanks everyone, i have decided i'll use 3d world studio & wings 3d

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 18:35
milkshape 3d is nice too. Blender?

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2011 21:32
I'll try those also, but which do you recommend more? Milkshape or Blender? In flexibility and power.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 00:37
I think blender has more features, but i find it very hard to learn, i havn't used milkshape though...

Srry about my english im from sweeden
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 00:49
Definitely blender. You might find it hard to begin with, but in the end it's the best. Just look up the keyboard shortcuts since that's mainly what you use.

"So hold your head up high and know, it's not the end of the road"
Switch Game Engine
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 01:54
Truespace is better.

It's all opinion. Though milkshape cost money, blender and truespace do not.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2011 01:30
Milkshape costs money indeed, but its very easy to learn and very effiecient for lowpoly stuff.
Blender is better in the long run though

like josh said: its all opinion

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2011 01:45
Actually I'll disagree on the fact milkshape is better at lowpoly then truespace. TS offers more support for dx format models, it also supports realtime dx rendering with full shader 3.0 support.

Best part is it's dx, DBP and FPSC compatible straight out of the box. Something blender is not.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2011 03:51
Quote: "Its all down to opinion"

Right on the nail. When I tried truespace, I found I hated the layout and the buttons and just everything about the way it was set up. Just not my kind of program. I find what works best for me is To do the lowpoly model in wings 3d, then raise the poly count using bevels. Then do my animating and exporting in fragmotion. The interfaces and similair please me. I also love milkshape, but can't afford it ATM.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2011 05:00
I like wings as well, my only problem is it was developed with a 'mice only' design. That's fine and dandy, but I personally like to use shortcuts, workflow is much faster.

I'll admit I disagree with your opinion. I believe TS has one of the cleanest interfaces out there, that's my opinion.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2011 13:08
Quote: "Actually I'll disagree on the fact milkshape is better at lowpoly then truespace"

i never said that, i said it is effecient for lowpoly stuff^^

[Q]uik, Quiker than most
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2011 14:12
i kinda don't believe in blender . Alteast it's flexibility with DBPro ( You need to donwload additional plug-ins to export to .x ). Also it requires more than only installing from setup ( There were needed some additional installed programs or /we ). And i am lazy . Thanks for opinions.

Josh you use 3ds Max, right? ( Or TrueSpace ).

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2011 15:22
Rhino3D. It's a NURBS modeller, so it would be ideal for building interiors. Like make a cube, cut out rooms, cut out doors, windows, then furnish. The demo of Rhino has 20 saves AFAIK, so you could grab it, learn how to make cubes and extruded polylines in the space of 2 minutes, then use that. I'm no modeller, but I could carve out a building interior in Rhino in no time at all - it's the only modelling package I've ever felt creative with, using shapes to cut out other shapes to cut bits out of a shape, who can't identify with that . NURBS modellers work like CSG systems, except efficient because your not using polygons, your using solid shapes - you make the polygon version later after specifying the polygon complexity. I use Rhino3D for all my modelling, everything from buildings to weapons to characters.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:07:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:07:06