Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Weapon Complete please comment on my AK-74U

Author
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 05:22
Okay, guys like I said I would give you screenshots of my weapon when it was complete. This only covers the building of the model. from start to finish, my next series of screen shots will be from start to finish of the UV Mapping portion of the weapon. Please comment on what you think thus far and any recommendations to make the model better, I do have one issue that perhaps an experienced modeler can comment on the poly count, its better than before I got it down to 5402 polys but I would like to achieve more closer to around 3000-4000 polys.

[

Uploaded with ImageShack.us]null[/img]

[

[

[

[

[

[

[

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 05:30 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2011 05:30
You need an FPS Creator screenshot or this belongs in 3D chat. Nice work though.

Kravenwolf

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 05:32
Okay I will place, the rest of my screenshots in 3-D Chat, still trying to get the rules down appricate the comment!
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 05:36
No no, just wait for a mod to come by and move this thread to the 3D chat board. It was advice to consider for future reference. Threads on this board that don't have an in-game screenshot will be moved into the 3D chat board. So it's best to wait until you have an in-game screenshot to post before starting your thread here.

Kravenwolf

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 05:40
Very nice

Cheesehead for life.
Cosmic Prophet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 05:52 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2011 05:53
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Nice Job. Yeah, Your polys are still a bit high, but that's easy enough to work out. Your doing great, Can't wait to see the texture.

2.5ghz QuadCore,4gb ram,1gb ATI graphics. Dual OS. WinXP, Win7.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 05:58
Nice work; as others said, the poly count is too high, but you're learning. Keep at it! Moving to 3D Chat.

-Keith

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 16:16 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2011 16:16
Looks good. For the poly count reduction use this as a guide.

You can clean up the model just by fixing these few things. Cylinders need to be lower when making low poly models. I always use 8-12 sided cylinders and use the texture and normal maps to give the smoothness of a higher poly cylinder.

The faces on the side of the lower receiver can be made into one quad instead of the five or six you have. Also delete any faces that are not going to be seen by the player when it is in use.

The point of low poly is to get as close to the object as possible without using alot of polys. Give me a few minutes and I will remake the model you did and show you the difference.

Remember to press "crtl+n" when you are done so it recalculates faces outside.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 16:20
Thanks Starmind appriciate the comment!
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 18:01 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2011 18:02
Here you go. Same model just lower in polys.

Attachments

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 18:10 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2011 18:16
And here is the blend file and obj for you to look at and learn from. Only make high poly model to render a bake to a lower poly object. Meaning you can take this model and increase the detail after you have uv mapped it for the textures. This model is free for anyone to use, but don't claim it as your own.

I know there are others on here that can show you how to make a decent uv map and texture for this. So if anyone wants to continue the process from here to show what the model can look like, that is fine with me.

I hope this not just you but those wanting to learn more on the weapon making in general.

EDIT: This model is 900-1000 polys.

Attachments

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 20:52
Thanks guys for the comments, before I show my UV mapping and texture, I am going to redue the model to get it under 3000 vertices. That's the name of the game patients make perfect, man I should have signed up for this forum along time ago, oh well I am here now
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2011 22:38 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2011 22:38
Here is the weapon complete with textures. I had Cp do the texture work and show the process.

Attachments

Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 24th Apr 2011 15:27
Starmind

Thanks man guess we make a good team, I started a thread that's turning out be a good place to not just help me but help others with my screenshots and yours!
Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 25th Apr 2011 00:34
Starmind

One thing I learned about your screenshots that showed me the secret of getting a low poly count, is I was trying to create all the additional details of the model when building it which took up a lot of polys I did not realize you could do this by using the bump map, thanks for the great tip! Plus for others I found some great tutorials on YouTube in how to use this tool bumping!
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am glad you learned something. What do you have to show from all that work?

mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
You removed all the detail... you should have welded any verts that didn't effect the shape and lowered the sides on the cylinders. It wasn't accurate before but now it doesn't even look interesting, for a gun like this you could probably go up to about 3k polys(?) The lighting also looks really bad, look up 3 point lighting if you want to show this off.

---
Ron lemasters
User Banned
Posted: 1st May 2011 15:52
Hey guys I made a new thread, I have ask any mods to move it back to here so I can continue this thread

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:08:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:08:44