Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / FPS Engine with editable/dynamic Gravity Vector(s)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2011 07:31 Edited at: 29th Apr 2011 15:39
Good day.

Is anyone familiar with a FPS engine that has 3D physics supporting editable/dynamic Gravity Vector(s)?

I ask as in all fps' that I have ever played, gravity is always vertically oriented WRT a 2D flat plane.

What I am interested in exploring is finding an engine that will enable developing a level/map on the surface of body, for example an asteroid (akin to the following), or a map on the inside surface of a sphere (i.e. a dyson-sphere with negative gravity).

Please advise. Thanks!

-t
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2011 18:25
You can use Dark Physics, Newton and another physics engine whose name I don't recall right now with DarkBASIC Professional. All of these have configurable gravity, I'm not aware of any solution that doesn't.

You'd be writing your own FPS engine within the DBP game engine.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Wel basicaly you can do it with any physics engine. The folowing is what you need to do:

In every physics engine you can set the x y z gravity. This means you can calculate the center point of a "asteroid", and check the angles to point the gravity to the coordinates of the center point of the asteroid. This will force the physics engine to calculate all it's physics with the given gravity forces in the x y z axis. I did this in my editor, select "Object as Gravity Force" > Ammount Gravity Done... Thats sort of pseudo code... But anyways, it should work. ODE / PhysiX and any other would work.

TodWulff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2011 05:01 Edited at: 30th Apr 2011 05:12
Quote: "You'd be writing your own FPS engine within the DBP game engine."

Yeah, I kinda thought that I might be looking for something that doesn't necessarily exist 'off the shelf'.

I am not so much interested in dev'g a complete engine from scratch as, frankly, I don't possess the time, skills, or discipline.

I am more interested in leveraging an existing framework that would allow me to dev a level or three as proofs of concepts.

Then, if the idea bore fruit, I could look at modding one of the open-source engines with the new/altered physics libs and some glue code to bring the new map styles to the existing FPS communities, as mods to their already popular and aotherwise mature engines...

-t
TodWulff
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In every physics engine you can set the x y z gravity. "

Quote: "I did this in my editor, select "Object as Gravity Force" > Ammount Gravity Done..."

Am I to understand that you may have a functioning solution? I'd surely be interested in securing more information regarding same, if you are amenable.?. Please advise. TIA.

-t

-t
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2011 09:50 Edited at: 7th May 2013 16:31
The Editor itself is still WIP. I can tell you more about it on msn:

Like = Follow!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:10:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:10:58