Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The Coos County Reaction

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2012 21:02
Bump for demo update

Alright guys, here it is. The new demo link has been updated on the top post. Just fyi I am a badass zombie killer in this game, so It's currently set for my difficulty kind of, and I haven't had time to make the difficulty reasonable for everyone. To compensate....I've given you all 1000 health points instead of 100!!! Have fun guys and tell me what you think.

The fastfood zombie killer
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Seriously!?!?! 482 mb for a demo... I'll get back to you after download. I'm sure there are ways to decrease the size greatly.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 08:07
Main problem with size is that I have three videos approx. 45 seconds each, that are kind of cutscenes in the process.

I was just reviewing the films and I see one that was in there before it was converted, which took 50mb, so that willll definitely help

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quite impressive, the intro is well done and works very well. The lighting sure is dark, gave me a bit of a scare. Controls are nice an easy to use.

I notice you are missing a cursor on the main menu, wasn't sure if I was to use the keyboard or click it at first. Ran out of ammo and died, not sure how to get more, maybe add a melee attack?

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2012 16:58 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2012 17:00
Thanks for the comments.

I know I need to get a control screen in there, so players know everything there is to do. If you had pressed 1 it would have switched to a knife.

missing cursor? How'd that happen, I have a cursor

And there are 3 weapons inside the building, and if you go up to them you can buy that weapon or if you already have that weapon buy more ammo.

I know that I have to give my player a little more info and directive, but I think I can wait until I have all the levels fleshed out and working properly.

As for the melee attack, It would be easy to incorporate, but I just can't figure out what would be a good melee button

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2012 05:18
Once again I'm having problems playing the movies. It happened right after I started loading in a few more audio clips. I'm thinking that it is a memory issue, and that I'm not deleting everything completely, but these animations have been causing such a hassle I'm pretty sure I'm going to scrap them.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 03:36 Edited at: 1st Feb 2012 03:37
Didn't mean to imply that I thought your demo was slow, I had just assumed it was my computer (it can slow down quite a bit if the poly count gets too high), hence describing my computer as a "wheezing-geezer" but I'm guessing that even though we're all speaking english we're not all speaking the same language.

I never got to play the demo on my computer at work, amazingly, I was actually working for most of last week, and now I feel bad 'cause you've rushed to put out a new demo.

Anyway, I'll download the new demo between now and the weekend and tell you what I think, for what it's worth.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 03:45
Alrighty, thanks for the kind gestures. If anything you hepled me out for ingacremo.

Today's the last day to, so the final update will probably begin being uploaded at 11:30 my time "central." LET THE RACE BEGIN!!!

And the game was irresponsibly slow before. I had'nt optimized the ai at all, I wasn't cloning objects at all, functions were being called when they didn't need to. It was a mess.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 08:58
Bump for the newest updated demo for ingacremo, three minutes before the deadline where I
m at, I WIN TOO!!!!!

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 00:39
Just had a quick go of the latest demo and got to the bit where you're protecting the staff, shot a few zombies with the machine gun (the one next to the cashier) and then got killed when I ran out of ammo. I'm guessing there are places to pick up more ammo.

I really enjoyed the bit that I played, it all works pretty well.

I like the story elements of finding the clues and speaking to various people. Who did the voice acting for the cut scene? It's a pretty decent effort.

Can the player only carry one weapon, as I couldn't change back to the pistol? When I pressed the "1" key my weapon changed to to a knife. Pressed it again and it changed back to the machine gun, which I had no ammo for. It would be nice if you could change weapon using the scroll wheel but this is a minor quibble, the "1" key is fairly easy to use.

I preferred the bright colours of the previous demo but that's just me. Having said that, the lighting and atmosphere look and feel good. Out of interested, how did you do the lights? I wouldn't mind doing something simillar in my current game.

I thought the AI for the zombies worked really well. I think you got the balance of the number of zombies, freguency of their attacks and the damage of the player's weapons about right. It didn't feel like I was impossibly overwhelmed nor did I feel it was too easy.

This is a really good effort so far and I hope you get it finished. Keep up the good work.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2012 04:41 Edited at: 7th Feb 2012 04:44
Glad to hear from you again 29!

1st things, you can get more ammo by going to where you bought the weapon and pressing space.

2nd thing is when you get another weapon it replaces the current weapon you have. If you want to choose another weapon you already have you can press "p" to pause and go into equipment, press enter when you have your weapon selected, press back space and then p again to unpause. That will bring the chosen weapon out.

3rd would be the lights. While I have everything dark and hard to see on this level, you will return to arbys during the daytime later, so you get to see both sides. The way I do my lighting is having them all done in 3d world studio, then in game record all the positions of the lights. I put all the data into an array and for each entity that moves around I check to see if its close to a light, and if so, how well lit it should be by changing the ambient light for the object. It costs a lot less on the cpu doing it this way, though it may be a lil more work.

I hope to be wrapping this game up in a couple months things so I can try to focus on some other areas. When I post the new demo you'll see a massive update for the pause menu that I'm working on right now. The current one isn't very good.

And thanks for the comment on the audio, I think it sounds really bad . That was me and a friend working on it one day.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2012 07:47
I've managed to get a lot of work done on the gui, and currently I'm implementing a little tutorial at the beginning of the game to go over reloading, buying ammo/weapons, and how to switch your weapons. Ought to help out the players a good bit.

For those of you who download the demo, can you guys tell me if you have any problems playing the animations when your talking to Paige in the office? I've been having problems with this for months and don't know if it is specific to my computer. By problem I mean the animation not playing, screen turning black, and game being froze

Thanks for the support guys!

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
tried to play the demo but game starts, intro music starts to play and then crashes with "animation does not exist at line 433"
Have tried running as administrator and re-extracting, not working
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2012 06:40
Huh, I've never had a problem with the beginning animation on the menu. It's always worked for me, did you try playing it after a reboot?

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
what file is it, as this may come down to a codec issue (something i've had problems with before)
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 04:22
that would be the media/films/menu.wmv

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
wow what the hell.... i've replaced that file with several others and it still crashes at the same line. I have no problem playing any of the files

Since I can't see the source code, is there a perhaps a pathing problem? i.e. does it matter if I place it in c:\ or d:\ drive, desktop etc. Is there anything else on line 432, 433 or 434 that might cause a problem?
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 05:23 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 05:26
hmmm...everything works off the root folder of the demo. Whenever I load any media it starts from "media/" then goes wherever, so there shouldn't be any problem with the path. I'm checking the lines right now, give me a minute...

Edit: starting at line 433 is:

And to hopefully fix the issue I'll change it to:

I'll make a new post when I get the new version uploaded

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
I dare say there's a coding error somewhere. It's definately not a codec issue as
1) it works if I place any of your animations into my own project instead
2) i'd encounter a "could not load animation" error rather than "animation does not exist". So it seems as if it's not even trying to load anything
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 05:57
was it still at line 433? I don't have any problems like this on two different computers, and I think the change I'm making ought to fix the issue, I'm just checking that you can play through a couple of objectives before I upload again, been making lots of changes lately.

At any rate, thanks for helping me out with this issue. Will be uploading within the half hour

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
Regardless of what file I use, or even if I delete it completely it still has the same error on line 433. So for some reason it's not even loading the file in the first place, and thus failing once the program tries to access animation 12
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 06:09
What doesn't make sense is that there is a command to play the animation far before the command to check to see if it is playing. You would think the flag would be thrown there.
At any rate I'm considerably confident this will fix the issue, if nothing else it might not play the animation, we will see what happens. Compressing folder now

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 06:54
New demo uploaded, link in first post.

Gui has been updated, not quite completed, still have some positioning to work in and a little bit of navigation to make it easier.

Beginning has a little bit of a tutorial for the player, but not quite yet done. Currently working on a pointer for the player to follow so he can see where he is suppose to go to make things a bit clearer.

Changed menu code slightly in hopes to get Millenium playing the game properly

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 09:01 Edited at: 14th Feb 2012 09:22
oh for gods sake, same error at same line

I agree with you that something is seriously fubar if you are calling other commands such as 'play animation' before that line and it's not failing until 433. And why is it not happening for you?

It's not a generic DBpro issue as i've never once had an issue running any of my own projects.
Didn't forget to update the .exe file in the archive?

Maybe try a special millenium7 .exe file? rem out that little loop and upload the .exe file to see if it gets any further?

edit: I don't think animation 12 is media\films\menu.wmv as I get error at line 433 even when removing the files. But I do get 'animation does not exist at line 393' when removing media\intro\intro3.wmv
edit2: could also try placing this directly before line 433
if animation exist(12)=0 then load animation "media\films\menu.wmv",12
Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
The "Error at Line XYZ" is often not very usable.
Sometimes it shows the totally wrong line. (Don't ask me why, just my experience)
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 12:38
This is not good:
Quote: "if animation playing(12) = 0 and animation exist(12) = 1 delete animation 12 endif"

It should be done like this:

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2012 15:43 Edited at: 15th Feb 2012 01:18
My apologies, path is "media/intro/intro3.wmv". I have to get running to work, talk to you all when I get back in 9 hours

Edit:
@Brendy boy: What's wrong with the way it's set up? I've always liked being able to test two things in one line if they should both be true because it cuts out an extra if endif. Sometimes those can get really hard to follow

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 01:33
a couple tweaks to the code, but it's still set to run the animation millenium. If this one doesn't work I'll try completely removing the animation for you.

Only the executable is attached, so just replace it in the folder

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 05:05 Edited at: 15th Feb 2012 05:06
Quote: "Edit:
@Brendy boy: What's wrong with the way it's set up? I've always liked being able to test two things in one line if they should both be true because it cuts out an extra if endif. Sometimes those can get really hard to follow"

Quote: "if animation playing(12) = 0 and animation exist(12) = 1 delete animation 12 endif
"

First will evaluate to 0 only if animation exists, otherwise you'll get the animation doesn't exist error and the second will be evaulated never!! (because of a crash!)
You have to make sure the animation exist first before you can check if it's actualy playing!

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2012 05:48
AHAHAH, I see your point, I thought you were talking about how I have them on one line. Thanks for pointing that out

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah it still crashes at same place, as mentioned above you need to seperate the commands.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 01:17 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2012 12:00
Alright millenium, here is a version which doesn't play or load the intro animation, however there is a animation that plays behind the menu. hopefully this will work

Attachments

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
well now isn't this interesting. Program now starts and no longer crashes with an error. I hear music playing, and I see a black screen with the mouse cursor, apart from mouse movement nothing responds. If I open the task manager it shows it as no responding

What plugins are you using with this program?
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2012 08:58
hmmm... If you wanna give up i'd understand but... dark ai, sparkys collision, and that ought to be it I think. I can try deleting the menu animation as well for yah, that'll be tomorrow though

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
one last thing which might be causing the problem. I notice that when the game starts the screen blanks out several times, I believe it's from the resolution changing. I run my own projects in windows mode rather than full screen, and have noticed that if I CTRL+ALT+DEL or alt tab at the wrong time, it'll crash my program

It might be that during the screen blanking it's losing something crucial in memory. So perhaps setting it to windowed mode, rather than full screen exclusive will stop this from happening?
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2012 23:17
When I try to run the game in windowed mode it doesn't play the animations... Eventually I'm just going to scrap the animations, as of right now it isn't worth it considering how many problems they are causing

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2012 12:23
Sorry I've been so lazy guys, it's been nearly a whole month!!! I quit my job and school starts on the first, I think I just needed a bit of a break to spend some time with friends and whatnot. Nonetheless... time to get back to work. Tonight I'm just adding filler objects to the level so it doesn't look so bare.

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2012 13:15 Edited at: 31st Mar 2012 08:28
Been doing a ton of work the last two days. I adjusted the lighting and it now looks much better, and created a ton of filler objects, here is a pic of one of the rooms. Tell me what you guys think!

EDIT: AHAHAH. I just finished up with the bear trap mechanics and I absolutely love it. Watching them run right into it and snatching them up is a truly great feeling

Attachments

Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 12:43 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2012 12:01
Just set up a system that will allow me to save a bunch of data when I jump from different levels and restart a level after dying. Now when you die you just restart the level you are on with the ammo and life that you came into the level with, instead of having to restart the entire game

EDIT: Apr 2nd

Alright guys, I'm working on my very first ZOMBIE BOSS!!! I think I've come up with a pretty effective way to create a teleporting zombie.

Imagine putting a circle around the player, then dividing that circle up by ten points. After the zombie attacks he checks one of these points at random to see if he would collide with it, if not he will respawn there and attack again. If so he will check another point. If all points have collisions he will be set to a preset position to go chase the player again. What do ya think?

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2012 15:38 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2012 15:39
Well i'm still having problems on my machine, same animation error problem. However I've recently discovered that vmware player/workstation can emulate DX9, so well infact that I could run skyrim/portal 2/stronghold 3/STALKER and a host of other games in a windows XP VM at high with an acceptable framerate.

However I can run your program under the virtual machine. It takes a bloody long time to load the level (about 2 minutes) but it works. Sorry to pick at it but there's 1 thing that bugs me regarding most DB/DBPro coders habits, your diagonal movement speed you need to multiply it by 0.707 when using 2 adjacent keys such as w+a or w+d

i.e. here's the marine movement function from my project which allows both keyboard and 360 controller movements

It's called in the format MovementVelocity(object number,"X" or "Y") and is called twice, once for the X axis once the for Y/Z axis. Limits diagonal speed so that you can't run faster diagonally
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 02:16
PICK AWAY!!!!

I'm more than happy to receive input on how to make it better, and I guess I never realized that you had that speed boost when moving diagonally. Definitely have to fix that. Just to let you know I've been dong a ton of work lately, and I just succsessfully made a teleporting zombie boss!!! Right now I'm working on creating a 2nd object that fades away when the zombie teleports to make it look better. how much of the game did you play?

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 06:36 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2012 06:37
up until the end of the first wave. It took me a bit to get there because I wasn't doing things in order up to that part, i.e. I picked up the machinegun before taking pistol ammo and it screwed everything up. I think you should block off access to things that shouldn't happen just yet, as well as implement a directional 'path' that shows the way to your target, or even just a simple arrow pointing towards the goal

I don't know how you've written your objectives but if they are UDT's you can simply add .Active as boolean. Anything that is not active cannot be triggered yet, upon completing previous objectives, or at certain stages you can simply flip the .Active of the next objective to 1 and it'll be accessible. Flip the previous one to 0 and it's no longer accessible. But can be called again at a later stage. I'll explain a bit more when I get back in a few hours

edit: also if you are in the room with the 2 npc's, and close the door whilst walking into it. It'll cause you to go through the floor. That kinda screwed everything up for me. What collision system are you using?
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 07:05
I just set up a tutorial at the beginning of the game that works a whole lot better. Teaches the player how to switch weapons, get ammo, and all of that good stuff, but without the previous errors

I've been wanting to add something to direct the player for a while now but haven't been able to do it yet. What I really want is the pointer similar to skyrim, but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to do it.

As for the door, I know it's really crappy but at the moment if it's open it turns collision off, if it's on it turns collision on. I couldn't seem to make the collision work correctly while it animates.

When you get to the objectives to find the combinations...you probably wont find them. Once I get the pointer system in place I'm sure that part will be a lot better

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 11:50 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2012 12:07
skyrim pointer system is somewhat easy depending on how the rest of your game is written. The only real difficulty is determining which entry/exit of a level connects to the level where the objective is. But getting it to indicate the exact location of the objective in the current level is easier

If it were me I wouldn't worry about the former part, and if you aren't in a level containing objectives it doesn't show any pointer, but if you are it shows the direction to it. To do it just work out the angle between your position and the objective, and then the angle of the camera, and compare them. If they are the same then the 'indicator' is in the middle of the screen, if the difference is a negative value, it positions to the left, if it's a positive value it positions to the right

In regards to the collision system, are you using the inbuilt dbpro commands or something else? cause I'd suggest sparky's collision dll if you are using the inbuilt commands, it's much smoother, faster and more accurate
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2012 19:28
Are you talking about the little pointer above the player in the bar? I was thinking of the sprite that shows up in the 3d world. I have a image attached so you know what I'm talking about.

An idea that I also just had is creating a map, hmmm.... definitely one for the pause menu, and maybe a small zoomed in one on the top left corner? I wonder how hard that would be.

As for the collision I am already using sparkys. I think what I'm going to try and do is somehow make the object pivot and not use a animation with the door. I think that would make the collision work correctly. I found it kinda funny that you fell through the floor because of the door, but I'm pretty sure that is fixed now

Millenium7
Years of Service
User Offline
make a small invisible object at the objective location and then use paste sprite #,Object Screen X(#),Object Screen Y(#)
You could also use some distance scaling if you wish, just find the distance between the players position and the object position and scale the sprite accordingly. You'd want to use a function that specifies min/max scaling and the range of distance, since you don't want a giant full screen sprite when you are close, only 100% size when <10m away, and no less than 25% when >200m
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2012 10:54
Wow, it's really that easy? I thought it would only give you the coordinates if the object was actually displayed on the screen. NICE

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 03:39
Seems you need to sign up to the fileshare site to download. I recommend using a site that doesn't require that, or just attach it to a new post in the thread. Then you can right click and save link location, and use that in the 1st post.
Mychal B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 16:05
WOW! Thanks for the post. It didn't use to be that way, I'm gonna have to change hosts, sorry for the inconvenience

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 07:17:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 07:17:01