Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Galaxies - A turn-based space strategy game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 16:10 Edited at: 18th Oct 2003 14:17

I have only been coding this for a few days now as much of the time has been spent on modelling/texturing the planets you can see in the screenshot using milkshape.

The game will be a cross between Civilization, Master of Orion and other similar games. It is still really early and i'm sure the GUI will change but I just wanted to give people a quick peep of what i'm up to.

Much of the work done so far has been on creating the game universe. At the minute, the game randomly creates 70 systems, each with up to 10 planets in. Planet names, attributes, locations, etc are all randomised. Coupled to this there are up to 10 AI players and this should be a very large game. I would appreciate any feedback people have.

If anyone wants to help me out with artwork I would be most appreciative (things like ship units, planet improvements, etc).

Cheers,

P.S. The grid can be toggled on or off in case you were wondering

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 16:13
I should probably elaborate on the other boxes on the screen. The text that is in them at the minute doesn't reflect what will be there eventually. The bottom box will have clickable buttons for unit orders, etc. The top right box will be the minimap. The bottom right box will display info on the selected object and the top box will display empire data.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 21:46
looking good!

"Look a bandwagon.... lets jump on it!"
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2003 23:34
Thanks ReD_eYe,

I hope to post some better shots this weekend.

Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool, I'm a bit of a fan of the 4x genre myself.

"Power, precision, and don't forget about speed. If you practice everyday with these things in mind... you begin to develope A FIGHTING MODE." - Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 02:31
Nice looking so far. Out of curiosity, will this be taking precedence over your other two projects?

Also, on a side note, did you discover the problem with my .imf files?

Usermlsra - Causing Havoc with a Smile
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 07:11
wow! i am very interested in seeing this when your finished (or beta )... keep up the great work!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults. I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 10:46
@Usermlsra:
This is essentially Omnipotence. Omnipotence was the working title for my turn-based strategy game. I have renamed it to reflect the space-based nature of the game. I will be updating the TBF site later tonight or Saturday with more details.
Regards to your map file....i'll have an answer for you today (really sorry about the delay mate).

@Darksin:
Thanks for the encouragement!

Dostej
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 10:54
Looking good at the first shot.

I try to code nearly the same.
You can find some screenshots here:
www.galacticinc.iwebland.com

Do you implement s th like the cities (here more or less the planet) in civ? s th to build factories etc.?

www.dbpro.ionichost.com
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 11:05
Great shots Dostej! What happened to the project...would seem a shame to can it.

I need to change my GUI.....the box command just isn't up to par. How did you create your GUI? Is it a bmp file pasted as a background? I would be interested in knowing as it would be really helpful for me

Dostej
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 13:40
@FieldDoc
Im working on it. But I have only some evenings for it (job, Wive, Kids....)
So it progress slowly.

MY background is part of the GUI. I wrote a pack of functions to create easily a kind of windows (with the style taken from an image - so the style can easily be changed). I offer a bitmap (these where taken from the hubble - space - site) and the functions grab the part of the image they need (so if you move the window, the background be taken automatically)

Its a bit slow at the moment, but I try to write the image-data directly in memory later, so that should speed up (later).
If you are interested the main functions are for download here:
www.dbpro.ionichost.com -> snippets.
There should be all the helpfiles with it.
I changed some of them for my current project.

maybe you want to try Magic-Windows (from freddix) - also a GUI-system.

Some of the Gui is using BLUEGUI from RobK. This uses windows-gadgets. This is quite easier for manage the input and some long lists (making a listgadget out of it). I have tried to code such things in DBPro (should also be included in my gui-system), but its slower and not so comfortable...

Actually I try to write the colony-screen (and the calculations) but this turn out to be hard (a lot of data and things...)

www.dbpro.ionichost.com
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2003 16:39
@Dostej:
Thanks mate....that's quite helpful. I may get RobK's BlueGUI as it could make things a little simpler.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 03:07
what happened to the isometric view?

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 14:08
The frame rate killed it Robx. I just couldn't get above 30 FPS using the isometric engine I wrote. This way I can get well over 180 FPS consistently. Not to mention the fact that a top down view is much easier to handle than the iso view.

I have a question Robx, i'm not sure how Syndicate is going for you (hopefully well) but I was wondering if you wanted to work together on this game.....your photoshop skills are pretty good and I really need help designing units, etc. This applies to anyone else at all with some artistic abilities...this game probably won't get finished if I don't get help with the media.....planets are easy (just basically textured spheres) but units are a whole other ball game!

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2003 14:16 Edited at: 18th Oct 2003 14:18
Why are my screenshots being displayed as links and not pictures? I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong? I'm using the image command

Eidt: Never mind...it's working now!

Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 03:10
Two questions.
One, are you going to continue work on IsoME, or is it a dead project now?

Two, out of curiousity, do you realize your game looks quite similar like Space Empires 4?

Here's there webpage just in case you want to confirm.
http://www.malfador.com/

Otherwise, pretty good looking.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 15:35
Yah, I know it looks like SE4 (I have it...great game BTW) but I needed a GUI to model mine on until I gets me an artist (which I really need). The underlying game will have many differences I can assure you.

IsoME is not really a dead project....it's just on the back burner for the moment.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2003 17:15
If any one would like to help out with this project then visit my post in the 'Team Requests' forum (titled 'artist(s) and writer needed') or email me at FieldDoc@basementfactory.com

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 04:30 Edited at: 21st Oct 2003 04:39
Good to see some 4X gamers and developers on the list. I'm also working on a space empire game, but I'm coming at it from a different direction. I wrote up the rules for a pen and paper tactical starship game and then the strategic rules for a classic play by e-mail game (using Microsoft Excel as the 'GUI' and save file format.)

Using those rule sets as my design documents, I'm building the tactical game and working towards the strategic game. Anyone remember Omnitrend's games: Universe, Breach, and Rules of Engagement? I really liked the idea of the interlock system and I'm gunning for that game inside of a game feel/technology.

One of the spin offs of this development effort is VirMin, a real time chat program that is also a 3D sandbox for playing assorted games. It is a kind of 3D version of the OpenRPG chat system. But, it is peer to peer rather than client/server based.
--
TAZ

A few links for those that are interested:
http://zircher.iwarp.com/tcom2.htm
http://www.geocities.com/tzircher/tcom_gallery.htm
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 11:52
Looking real good Zircher I remember Rules of Engagement...great fun. I'm hoping to implemement something different during battles in my game (rather than just unit A moves into unit B and kills it). I was thinking of a variation of chess/draughts with weapons

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2003 16:28
Thanks, battle chess is a fun semi-strategic/semi-tactical way to handle combat. Another idea that I played with in the past is based on American Football. You give your team a battle plan from a 'play book' and then they execute that plan.
--
TAZ
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 04:34
Update:
I have now drastically reworked the GUI for the game. It is still very much a work in progress but I think it is a big improvement.

The QuickNotes window is a little utility that allows the player to leave notes on any object in the game....useful if your scouting a system and fancy a planet but can't colonise it straight away.

I have also taken on another team member in the form of Usermlsra - he is now my Game designer. He has the important task of developing the research tree and unit/improvement design.

If anyone has any suggestions/opinions, please post them here or on my suggestions board at http://www.basementfactory.com/forums

Cheers,

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 04:51
Must say FieldDoc, that GUI looks way better, cleaner, cooler. I like it. How was it done?

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
Falelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 05:00
Nice, very very nice

DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 05:14
WoW keep up good work! Really like the new look. Cant wait for a demo.. heheh

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults. I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 07:03 Edited at: 26th Oct 2003 07:03
Hello All! I am Usermlsra AKA the current game designer of Galaxies. I have posted as to introduce myself. Some of you have proboly seen me about the boards before, so hello again. Repeating FieldDoc, If you have any ideas or suggestions as to what you think should be in a 4x game, head to the suggestions board FieldDoc linked to and let us (FieldDoc and I) know what it is. Also, if you have any questions or comments for me directly, e-mail me at:
rwilson@basementfactory.com
Later!

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 11:26
@Moonshine:
Thanks mate The GUI is a composite of jepgs and bitmaps brought to the screen using sprites and the paste image command. All the images are made in Photoshop. I'm especially proud of the dynamic help that appears at the bottom of the screen.

@falelorn:
Cheers!

@DarkSin:
Thanks for the encouragement. Not sure when a demo will be released. Probably won't be for a little while yet as with a game like this there is a look of 'behind the scenes' work that needs to be done.

One thing I can say is that I am writing this from the ground up to be a mod-able as possible. I'm even toying with an idea of how to make the AI tweakable by the player.

Laters,

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 19:40
I like the bold GUI. Kind of gives the game a 'commander of steel' feel.

On the subject of MOD-ability, one of the design features that I have included with VirMin is the ability to select/create your own GUI as long as you stick with the templates (much like the skins of MP3 players.) Part of the reason for that is because VirMin can support a wide variety of genres and one fixed look may not be appropriate.
--
TAZ
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 20:41
I think there should be a thread started somewhere on the subject of adapting your game to be MOD-able - most games, if not all, are MOD-able. Virtually every FPS, RPG's, even RTS games such as Warcraft 3.

I want to make a player designer that fits into my code, then saves out the texture and .x model etc. I also want to be able to expand the game with new guns and items etc.

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 22:41
@Zircher:
At the moment, with my code, it would be difficult to mod the GUI. Not impossible, just difficult. This is largely because the 'new' GUI images created by a player would have to be pixel perfect in their size. As the game progresses, I may rewrite some of the code to make it simpler.

Making a MOD-able game really depends on the genre. For a 4X game like this, it shouldn't be too hard. Instead of hard coding a lot of things that are used in the game, you just use text files and read the data into strings then parse it. This is the type of system used by other 4X games for modding and it is what I am trying to implement at the moment.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 05:40
I here ya, I use an INI file that specifies the GUI elements. A player can leave them alone or change the file names. Similarly, each game set file is a plain text file used to describe a scene and the resources used to create. Documentation will follow later, but I'm designing from the begining to allow the players or GMs to create setups easily. Given time, I want to add a model viewer/scene creation tool for script phobes.
--
TAZ
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2003 19:25 Edited at: 28th Oct 2003 19:26
I must say Zircher, you seem to have put a ton of thought into modding your game!

@Anybody who is interested in this game:
Would you be kind enough to register at my forums (http://www.basementfactory.com/forums) where you can keep up to date with the progress of the game. Also, when it comes to the private alpha, only registered users will be eligible (and it will be on a first come, first serve basis). I will also be posting here as well.

Thanks guys,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 07:40:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 07:40:36