Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / SPARK 3D Particle engine wrapper for DBpro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What video? I can only see a Rebok video.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 05:54 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 06:01
the video on page one on the link.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 14:52 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 14:53
Oh, well I got a Rebok video, it works now. Probably not a good site to put videos on.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 14:58
Can you add a Waterfall particle with waterfall foam at the bottom PLEASE?! Thank you! =D And a rose petal one too? =D Thanks! =D

CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT http://imageposeidon.com/ !
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 19:03
Quote: "Can you add a Waterfall particle with waterfall foam at the bottom PLEASE?! Thank you! =D And a rose petal one too? =D Thanks! =D
"

That's not how it works. You have to design particle systems yourself, he's not going to do it for you. This plugin already has everything you should need. But you still need to design the systems yourself.

Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 19:12
It's HIS particle system. HE should be doing his OWN work. It's not my job to do HIS job for him.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 19:16
Actually Mugen he has already done more than he needs to since he's giving this away for free.

He's produced a wrapper for a particle system, how you use it is up to you...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 20:26 Edited at: 1st Sep 2011 20:27
Yeah, I wish they had put a photo of Natalie Wood in Photoshop!

TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 21:31
This is just what Darkbasic needs! Seems very awesome, I haven't found particle system this great.

But I'm still getting the crash because of set display mode, I cannot use the particle system in my game before this is fixed because I use fastsync, and Vsync is pretty much the only way to cap the framerate.
sync rate 60 doesn't do anything for me.
Mugen Wizardry
User Banned
Posted: 1st Sep 2011 21:31
timer based movement -.-

Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 10:31 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2011 10:36
Wow ! Just saw theres a bunch new messages in the topic Sorry for the late post... So here we go :

Quote: "Can you add a Waterfall particle with waterfall foam at the bottom PLEASE?! Thank you! =D And a rose petal one too? =D Thanks! =D"

i'm affraid thats not how it works... the engine has it's own limits but basically you can "code" your own particle systems.There are limitless possibilities ! Professional particle engines works exacly as spark . They have systems , emitters , zones , renderers , etc (and a cool editor... i'm working on it)
So thats the reason why you can't find commands such as
MAKE FIRE PARTICLES 1,1
MAKE RAIN PARTICLES 1,1
or even
MAKE SOME REALLY COOL BLUE PARTICLES WHICH LOOKS AWESOME 1,1
in my wrapper , because this is not possible.You need to code them!

Quote: "This is just what Darkbasic needs! Seems very awesome, I haven't found particle system this great.

But I'm still getting the crash because of set display mode, I cannot use the particle system in my game before this is fixed because I use fastsync, and Vsync is pretty much the only way to cap the framerate.
sync rate 60 doesn't do anything for me. "

Hmm i didn't tried with fastsync nor VSync enabled... i will see what can i do ... (added to my bug reports list )
PS : NOTE: The update speed of SPARK systems are INDEPENDENT of DBPro Sync rate
PS2 : Can you send some example code ?

Quote: "Oh, well I got a Rebok video, it works now. Probably not a good site to put videos on."

You mean Megavideo ? The only reason i'm using megavideo because (god knows why) when i upload the same video on youtube i allways get a really crap quality (the video is dark and messy...)I tried everything but nothing worked so i decided to use megavideo...I get exacly the same quality as the uploaded video.

SparkWrapper An advanced 3d particle system for DBPro
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185523&b=1
TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 20:08 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2011 20:09
Quote: "PS2 : Can you send some example code ?"

There is nothing else to it than the set display mode, which is also the only way to set the vsync and it crashes the program.
Vsync or fastsync itself don't have anything to do with it, but they are the reason why I must use set display mode, thus being unable to use your particle system.

It's just this:
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 20:48 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2011 20:48
Quote: "There is nothing else to it than the set display mode, which is also the only way to set the vsync and it crashes the program.
Vsync or fastsync itself don't have anything to do with it, but they are the reason why I must use set display mode, thus being unable to use your particle system."

strange i tried the set display mode command in each possible way and worked for me perfectly... try :
- using the command without the Vsync and AntiAliasing flags
and see if still crashes :

SparkWrapper An advanced 3d particle system for DBPro
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=185523&b=1
TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 21:41
Even executing
set display mode 1920, 1080,32
in your basic example causes crash... I'm using 1.077.
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 22:05 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2011 22:10
i tried it with basic example and works fine.
1. does it crashes with other examples too ?
2. make sure the set display mode is the first command in your code
(if not, you need to reload the texture used in this example.)

and make sure you add the SP INIT after the disp. mode command

TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 16:09
The problem was actually that I set fullscreen in properties, when I launch the game windowed and activate fullscreen with 'set window off' it won't crash.

With this:

Particle system works 1920x1080 in fullscreen! Thanks guys, looking forward to play with the particle engine in my game.
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2011 17:31 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2011 17:32
im glad it works ! The next release will be more compatible with dbpro and lot easier to use . I've also started coding my own octree collision system for spark , when i complete it spark will be able to detect :

- sphere vs triangle (particles vs level or complex mesh)
- sphere vs sphere (particle vs particle)

and you can set the behaviour , what should happen if a collision occurs :

- SPC_KILL - if a particle hits a triangle it dies (particle is deleted)

- SPC_FOLLOW_NORMAL - If a particle hits a triangle it will follow its normal (very useful for smoke/steam/fire simulation , when the smoke hits the ceiling it will follow its normal)

- SPC_BOUNCE (when a particle hits a triangle it will bounce in a direction.The direction is calculated from the triangle's normal and the particles orientation)

- SPC_GROUP (when a particle hits a triangle it will be deleted and a particle (defined in another group) will be positioned at the collision point.Very useful simulating rain.When a raindrop hits the floor the raindrop is deleted , and you can specify a splash-particle to appear at the collision point.pertty cool feature)

The problem is : enough spare time !! because i'm really busy these days...

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 5th Sep 2011 05:20
Hotline

Your spark wrapper is fantastic; I can’t believe I missed this, well been real busy with our other projects. We will definitely use this in our projects.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP1,Vista,Windows 7 DBpro v7.61
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 16:37 Edited at: 19th Sep 2011 16:37
I'm having very hard time implementing this particle system to my rendering, seems that it isn't as compatible with DB rendering than like cloths & particle pack, which works plug&play.

There is problem when trying to render particles to a camera, that is set to image. Particle engine seems to render that image on top of the main camera, rather than using it within.
Hard to explain, here is collection or hardships I encountered while trying to implement this particle engine to EVOLVED rendering routine.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/TuPP3/particels.jpg

I've no idea how to make these particles work with EVOLVED fullscreen shaders.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm wondering if your second camera is Z-clipping the particles, or is even in front of the particles.

Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm having very hard time implementing this particle system to my rendering, seems that it isn't as compatible with DB rendering than like cloths & particle pack, which works plug&play.

There is problem when trying to render particles to a camera, that is set to image. Particle engine seems to render that image on top of the main camera, rather than using it within.
Hard to explain, here is collection or hardships I encountered while trying to implement this particle engine to EVOLVED rendering routine.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/TuPP3/particels.jpg

I've no idea how to make these particles work with EVOLVED fullscreen shaders. "

hm it should work...(but that doesn't mean it really works )
can you send a simple example ? (not with weapons and the level but with few boxes and primitives ?)

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 03:30
This is really well done! Good work!

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
www.msoa-game.com
www.facebook.com/malevolencegame
TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 19:34 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2011 19:36
Quote: "can you send a simple example ? (not with weapons and the level but with few boxes and primitives ?)"

Well, here is EVOLVED Depth Of Field example where I tried to get your particle engine visible.

It does two times the syncing, main camera and quad object which makes this difficult.
I stripped it as much as I could, I removed the DOF camera and replaced it with image mask to make it more simple with all the cameras.

If you disable RenderToTarget(ScreenCam,"DepthOfField") and put DrawFrame() function sync mask to 1, you can see the particles, but obvisously without the fullscreen shader.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah i see ! There's a problem with the camera matrices and i need to implement the Dbpro sync mask system in SPARK i will fix this as soon as possible... but currently i'm renovating my house so no spare time for coding ( unfortunately ) please be patient...

Thanks regards.

Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 11:30
Very good stuff
You should add support for animated textures, it would help a lot.
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
TuPP3 :

After a really really hard work i got it working with fullscreen shaders ! i will upload the new dll tomorrow because i'm really tired... But whats important SPARK works with render surfaces !!!! (but still you need to disable object zwrite on the quadObj...)

Please try the code with the old dll ,it should work !

- delete all the SP SET SYSTEM CAMERA and SP UPDATE lines in the code + set the systems camera to 0
- add one single SP UPDATE before LOOP
- make sure you disabled the quadobject's zwrite

and it should work !
Please post some feedback !
Cheers !

TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 22:31 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 22:32
Well technically it works, but it disables zwrite for all objects for me, and also disorts the fullscreen shaders.

That's because I exclude the whole scene before the main rendering with functions:

If I disable those, it will work perfectly, but it will drop 500>200fps, so I have to use that.

Looking forward for the update, I've been checking the thread every day.
Thanks.
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 11:55 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 15:02
Hi it works perfectly for me. I attached a screenshot (taken from your example. The particles are rendererd to camera 1)

The problem is that the particles are rendered as dbpro independent DX primitives.So they are not included in dbpro's z sorting algorithm.
The same issue can be found in the "d3dfunc" plugin.If you draw some 3d lines, they are not visible because they are not sorted either.

This leads to a problem mentioned in my first post :
make the plugin compatible with ghosted objects... i'm affraid the only workaround is "disable object zwrite"

Attachments

Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 12:04 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 13:18
And here's the new dll.

Try disabling object zwrite on quadObj
add the code to the DrawScene funcion :

remove all other SP UPDATE commands in the code (you don't need to draw the particles twice)
and make sure you have :

in your code.

Greetings

*************************** EDIT !!!! ************************

i take no notice of some commented out lines in the sparks's rendering algorithm... now i fixed it so you DON'T NEED TO DISABLE OBJECTS ZWRITE ! i uploaded the new dll.

set system to camera 0
type SP UPDATE before LOOP

or use the code snipet abowe if you want to render to camera 1
(this still have some small issue but i fix it soon)
Regards

EDIT> It seems very slow...

Attachments

TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 16:19 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 16:21
For some reason I'm not able to get particles visible in my game without disabling zwrite. I will have to try this again with the example I posted earlier.

But I spotted a problem with the update with some normal surfaces.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/TuPP3/seen.png(I just have bunch of random stuff lying around after rescaling my game)

It somehow messes smoothing groups or something. This problem appears when I execute sp update command anywhere.
It also caps vsynced framerate to 30fps, altough FRAPS is showing 60fps(quite strange).

For me the only way would be without disabling zwrite, I'm not actually even sure why all objects have to be excluded, but that's how it's done in Evolved examples and it seems to save huge FPS.
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
The normal thing is just a small issue in SPARK DX9 renderer , sets some rendering states for the dx device that dbpro don't like... i always remove those lines when i download the latest version from SVN but now i forgot...i will fix that.

Well i will try few more things to solve this zwrite thingy... at least i got the render to surface working ! (render particles to image)

I just can't find a solution for ghosted and transparent objects !!!
particles are not visible behind ghosted objects and transparency seems wrong either...

unfortunately i have no access to dbpro rendering calls and can't change the rendering order because the whole dbp scene is drawed in one SYNC call.

I'll be back ...

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 07:53
@ Hotline,

Will this plugin work regardless of through which camera you're viewing the particles?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Will this plugin work regardless of through which camera you're viewing the particles?"

Yes and No
Yes because i've implemented this feature , particles CAN be rendered
to cameras and images .
and No , because i didnt uploaded the new dll.This feture (and lot of new goodies) will come with the new 1.2 release, which will be ready in (approximately) 1-2 weeks .

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 16:13
Quote: "This feture (and lot of new goodies) will come with the new 1.2 release, which will be ready in (approximately) 1-2 weeks "

I Love your particle plugin and eagerly await you latest update. Excellent work hotline. I greatly appreciate your contribution to game developement.

kezzla

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 20:22
@ Hotline,

What Kezzla said - really looking forward to next release of this excellent plugin. More strength to your arm.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 06:38
Quote: "unfortunately i have no access to dbpro rendering calls and can't change the rendering order because the whole dbp scene is drawed in one SYNC call."
I am not sure what lee actually did but a "New implementation of a render order list for more third party flexibility" was added to DBPro7.4, mabey that could help you?

I figured out that the current version of you plugin can render to an image using IamM's draw to image command, but not with set camera to image.
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 17:14 Edited at: 15th Oct 2011 17:15
Quote: "I Love your particle plugin and eagerly await you latest update. Excellent work hotline. I greatly appreciate your contribution to game developement."

Quote: "What Kezzla said - really looking forward to next release of this excellent plugin. More strength to your arm."

Thanks ! I appreciate your comments !

Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 14:58
Is there any way of checking to see which object numbers the particles occupy?
I think SP is clashing with something, i suspect tree party. most of my rain particles are black lines that look like wireframe polygons, some of the individual rain particles work fine. (cant get a picture because when i try to capture it takes the scene without the particles, also print screen isnt working and it takes 2 minutes to load my project)

Ill work on getting an image.

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is there any way of checking to see which object numbers the particles occupy?
I think SP is clashing with something, i suspect tree party. most of my rain particles are black lines that look like wireframe polygons, some of the individual rain particles work fine. (cant get a picture because when i try to capture it takes the scene without the particles, also print screen isnt working and it takes 2 minutes to load my project)

Ill work on getting an image."

Hi . Well SPARK has no connection with dbpro objects.It uses it's own rendering calls and the primitives are drawn as quads or point sprites (occupied in a SP SYSTEM ) I find very uncomfortable implementing this engine into dbpro, and found few really annoying issues with rendering.(same problems with D3DFunc.dll).
One possible way is to write a dbpro renderer for spark (i'm thinking about this few months) , which will create a new object with plain limbs (equal to number of particles in a SPARK system) and use these limbs as particles instead of quads and use spark only for maths to calculate position , scale , rotate the limbs (particles).This should eliminate all the recent bugs found is the SPARk wrapper as you will have a "standard" dbpro object as a particle system.But i found out that limb's diffuse , specular , ambient ,etc colors cannot be set in dbpro so the spark's color interpolator cannot be implemented this way... which is the best feature of SPARK i think...
For the screenshot problem ... i don't know... it works for me fine. The demo video in the first post and lots of screenshots are taken from dbpro with prinScreen and fraps.

And for the black lines : are you using other quad or point sprite particles too or just the rain ? because for some reason the Line particles must be rendered first (or last i can't remember) but if you use other systems too try to reverse the code to

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 20:00
Hotline

Quote: "This should eliminate all the recent bugs found is the SPARk wrapper as you will have a "standard" dbpro object as a particle system.But i found out that limb's diffuse , specular , ambient ,etc colors cannot be set in dbpro so the spark's color interpolator cannot be implemented this way... "

We have been writting Dlls for DBpro and are familiar with the .dbo format. Here is an example of how to set the material for a DBPro limb in C++.

[img][/img]

WindowsXP SP3,Vista,Windows 7 SP1, DBpro v7.7RC7
Stab In The Dark Editor
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone ! Finally i released a new version of the wrapper !!!
CLICK HERE TO GET IT

Cheers

Adrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2011 23:28
I'm going to try this. It looks like a very good piece of coding, well done
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 01:05 Edited at: 25th Nov 2011 01:05
Quote: "I'm going to try this. It looks like a very good piece of coding, well done"

Thank You !

GeeBee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hotline

Can you suggest a way of achieving (if possible) black or dark smoke with Sparkwrapper? I've tried manipulating the relevant values from the explosion demo and fiddling with the original media but no joy.

GeeBee

PS - I add my plaudits to everyone else's - astoundingly good plugin, even if I am still trying to understand it all.

Habits can get you into trouble sometimes (unless you are a nun....)
Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 06:05 Edited at: 27th Nov 2011 07:07
Quote: "Can you suggest a way of achieving (if possible) black or dark smoke with Sparkwrapper? I've tried manipulating the relevant values from the explosion demo and fiddling with the original media but no joy."

Hi ! It is possible !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQzzQyZN3k&feature=related

But i don't know how , i will run few tests and see what can i do . Maybe a texture with alpha channel + using BLEND_ALPHA instead of BLEND_ADD will work.. i will test it.

Quote: "PS - I add my plaudits to everyone else's - astoundingly good plugin, even if I am still trying to understand it all."

Well yes it is a bit confusing at the beginning... but it's not that hard... But thats how professional particle engines work , if you try other game engine's particle systems you will see they work exacly the same way (Zones , renderers , emitters , modifiers etc...)

EDIT > i fixed the black smoke problem . It can be easily achieved with MULTIPLICATIVE_BLENDING... i will make few tests before i upload the new version

GeeBee
Years of Service
User Offline
You star!!

I am pretty sure I tried all the variants (that I know) of media manipulation such as alpha channel addition and/or inverting the colours and/or then testing them against the Sparkwrapper blending parameters and rgb colours / alpha channel settings etc.

Looking forward to the next release - thanks in advance for your time and effort.

GeeBee

Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You star!!

I am pretty sure I tried all the variants (that I know) of media manipulation such as alpha channel addition and/or inverting the colours and/or then testing them against the Sparkwrapper blending parameters and rgb colours / alpha channel settings etc.

Looking forward to the next release - thanks in advance for your time and effort.

GeeBee"

Hey just tested and works perfectly !!! beautiful black smoke (or whatever color you set) ! I will upload the new version tonight or tomorrow !

Regards !

Hotline
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""Can you suggest a way of achieving (if possible) black or dark smoke with Sparkwrapper? I've tried manipulating the relevant values from the explosion demo and fiddling with the original media but no joy.""

Uploaded the new version (1.2.1) , now you can have black smoke , using subtractive blending... also added 2 videos demonstrating subtractive blending in action

[href=http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=5]
link to to the download[/href]

GeeBee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hotline

Nicely done & already in my project.

Donation in your account - thanks for the rapid response.

GeeBee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 05:02:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 05:02:16