Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Open Source Shooter - Help out now! :)

Author
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 18:20
@MARTIN
not sure if this project is still going but i sent you an animated robot.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 18:42
I'm afraid I just can't carry this on :/ I'm not investing a lot of time in this project at all. So I ask : Who is willing to take over the lead?

TheComet

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2011 22:09
I am willing to lead Temporarily if no one else volunteers. I have very little programming knowledge so when it comes to that I will be useless, which is why I am only willing to do it temporarily. But I'm sure I am capable of getting this off the ground some more if I can get a few programmers to help.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll take it , although what I have in mind is a bit... different, the end goal is still the same. Got a lot of FPS code built up somewhere too, just have to dig it out. But, yes, I'm willing.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 01:06
It's all yours Please send me an email so I know where we are taking this though. To me getting the environment, art style, and programming done are more important that anything else to start with. Once we have chosen a palette we can start making weapons and characters. So, where are we taking this?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 10:06
OK thank you so much swissolo, I'll quickly update the files (I've improved the code structure a bit, and made the console more useful).

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I really really thinking of what kind of art style would fit the game... I'll explain the basis of the concept I laid out later, but visualy, tf2 like is the way to go. Not to mimic, but... gesture(?) Anyways, I saw this texture you stuck on this gun and it seems to be on the right track for what I'm thinking. A little further down the path, it might be best for someone to produce a black and white texture to overlay on top of all similar (or all in general) solid color textures. By that I mean, a massive sheet that, at least in the case of tf2, has a paint like texture to it. That way the game gest a universal style while keeping to a simplistic and jazzy look.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/galilsartr.jpg/

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 02:08
So basically a good ol' classic hand painted style?

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2011 23:32 Edited at: 9th Nov 2011 23:34
oh right, thought I responded ... yep

So a quick overview of the concept I've had laid out so far.

Corridor Shooter... How long has it been since a good one? What few are there? Indoor, right around the corner, constant action! But what makes this any different? - The health style. I figured, usually, a character stores his own respective health, and the value is deducted as damage is dealt. What if this was reversed? The attacker stores the target's health.(So the attacker records how much damage HE ,only, has dealt to his target, one target at a time) Following through with the concept, a missed shot by the attacker would essentially reset the damage counter on their target(or greatly reduce) So this way everyone functions independently (being hit by multible attackers, or attacking the same target doesn't stack) AND better yet, it promotes precision and accuracy and opposed to the usual bullet spamming you would see. Of course, some variations could be done with the idea, but, on the off chance anyone understands it (I really need some examples) I think it might be a cool concept.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2011 23:51
So what you are saying is:

I shoot enemy. Every shot deals him damage, but a miss deducts damage.

I shoot an enemy, deal a little damage, then hit another enemy. The fist enemy regains its health, and the new enemy begins taking damage.

My health does not exist. There is only a damage counter for each enemy on me. When the counter reaches a certain level, say 100, for one of the enemies, I die.

correct? interesting concept. Could definitely provide a unique gameplay.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup. I thought about doing something to avoid losing damage when changing targets, but the damage shouldn't be that great of a loss, and hey, they missed Whoever was getting shot would have a counter in the bottom left for their "health" of course, but could end up with multible bars, while their damage bar would most likely be on the right (with the name of their target of course) Anyways, I think it might be a good way to at least derive from the "every FPS game is the same" deal you hear about and I'm hoping the game play will be more rewarding and less punishing than you see in many games.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 02:59
I love the idea. I still think we need one more unique feature though. What will make ours even MORE different. Right now it is a unique corridor fps. Lets make a new fps genre shall we? I have been mentally concepting level designs and I will put them down on paper for you soon. A few other things we need to discuss:

planet climate(s)?
level editor?
still sticking with zombies?
how large of levels are we thinking about?

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 22:14 Edited at: 10th Nov 2011 22:16
climate? Well if its indoor we can mix and match all we want, sticking around industrial maybe? Otherwise, and mention (although maybe it should be avoided completely) of the outdoors should probably be desert, tells the players there's no where to go Level editor? Leave it till later I'd think, could keep it in mind though. We'll most likely drop zombies, what we have currently is simply a deathmatch, although I've got in mind many variations... as for unique-ness, I thought about scatering monsters around, but decided agaisnt it. Another idea I had was leaving weapons galore with limited ammo, but I figured it would be better if each spawn gave a random weapon(or by choice if we chose so) or if characters were simply given a weapon for each level they progressed through... I probably could come up with a couple more defining ideas, but at the moment I'm not sure... Anything else?

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 22:51 Edited at: 10th Nov 2011 22:52
Here's the entire project folder along with the documentation. I hope this takes off, you're all on a good track

[attached]

7zip is a must-have. It's almost half the file size as zip, and it only takes like 20 seconds to install. Plus you get the bonus of being able to read all file types such as zip, rar, 7z, tar, zoo etc. Here's the official site : http://www.7-zip.org/

To use it, right-click on a file, select 7zip, and select an action.

@Swissolo

You may want to get a mod to insert one of your posts above my first so you can take over.

TheComet

Attachments

Login to view attachments
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright! Thanks comet That would be good if a mod comes along, otherwise I'll just leave it alone and maybe produce another thread further along if needed. Anyways, I'm going to start the process of combining some of my code with yours so I have a foot in it... I'll probably start from scratch but pull in all the pieces we already have I'll attach a .exe of that mess of code I refered to before (I've used this code for testing just about every aspect of DBPro so its a mess, and will most likely strugle to run on almost every machine...and I think the res is locked at 1920x1080, but I wanted to stick it in here anyways for a reference of what I *might* already have written)

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2011 23:23
I'd like to run that little program of yours, however I only have a 1366x768 screen, and a 1600x1200 screen... Can you make it adapt to the maximum screen size possible, or add some kind of list at the beginning?

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
- Add this .exe on top of the other one... it should give you your desktop res... but I didn't check on how advanced lights would feel about it (hence the size of this thing ) Tell me if it works.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 23:05
I still get the same error... I don't know what's going on :/ Try using this function at the top:

[untested]

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I forced it to 1366x768 (1600x1200 denied me due to the aspect ratio change) and the mouse input failed to work anymore You're not missing much... I suppose I could drop a screen shot, but its not so great on looks... seems that's the best I can do. Advanced lights really ruined the whole thing. I'm going to have to rip it out before I can use the rest of it...

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I've just realised after starting some of the work. I need a head count here. There's not much point if we only have 2 members left on the team... or we could at least be aware of the need for new recruits. so please, notify us here if you are still going to participate, or would like to.

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2011 17:56
You always have me

But I will really need some modelers, animators, and textures. I know there are plenty on here, want me to try and recruit?

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure, I'll try to find some people who know what they're doing too! Pick well

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2011 21:15 Edited at: 24th Nov 2011 21:17
If I may contribute my thoughts, I think the highest priority is to get the game mechanics working first with place-holder objects (like cubes or stick figures). Of course I'm not saying that you should deny all media contribution, I'm just saying that at this point it's a lower priority.

As you already know I don't have much time on my hands, which is the reason I passed on the manager position to swissolo, but I want to support this project. I'd happily help out as a programmer if that's OK. I will be able to code small, precise jobs such as gun flares, projectiles, collisions, level-loading, menus, etc. As long as I'm not writing the entire game

I'd also like to let you all know that I'm strictly following a programming procedure which I find fits best for projects that are created by more than 1 person. I wrote a tutorial on it here : http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=190485&b=1

Another resource that may prove useful is my function library : http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=190374&b=1

swissolo, could you wrap all of your thoughts on how to proceed in one post so we have a reference?

TheComet

seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 02:09
i would like to do some modeling, but i think we all need to get some art direction. like the look of things, what kind of animations for the characters, is it still alien zombies? i sent Martin an animated robot model but he didn't say if it was usable or not.... i'm sure there are pleanty of people around here that will be willing to chip in

gamer, lover, filmmaker
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 22:11 Edited at: 26th Nov 2011 23:16
Hey, sorry comet. I've been real sick and haven't been able to get to this project... or much of anything (with the exception of posting Fluttershys) You've already got a lot behend this project, so I've felt kind of bad. But, we still do need a team for the team project... I figure they'll stream in though (ex - seppgirty) Anyways, I started typing up this message pretty soon after you posted, then passed out half-way through. I woke up and the whole post seemed to be made of the letter j.

@seppgirty
Alright! I'll post a better structure of what we're doing here below

Quote: "If I may contribute my thoughts, I think the highest priority is to get the game mechanics working first with place-holder objects (like cubes or stick figures). Of course I'm not saying that you should deny all media contribution, I'm just saying that at this point it's a lower priority."

Of course, already done. (well as far as not using media) There is a good chance we won't even put any of our art in for a while now, but it doesn't mean the given people shouldn't keep working on it.

As for the tut, I follow just about every step in it already , except for the first one... I like to separte the display loop so that game can run wild. Also I've been going back and forth a lot, and now I think it's likely I'll just continue from your project as apposed to generating a new one. I'll need to dig a little deeper into it a little later today though.

what is it we're making?
I think everyone is most likely within a good understand of the original concept TheComet laid out. I've tosed around a few ideas here but I want to take some of the basis of that idea and take it indoors. Instead of the towers - out on a field(?) concept, we would KEEP the various monsters, spiders, some have said zombies sort of thing. But, I also wanted to give the game a little more of a draw, so this would also be combined with the clasic indoor multiplayer shooter. Essentially, you would then have the choice to compete agianst the other players in the survival, while still working with them. Of course, the concept would still work without the muliplayer piece as well. This would also, as a whole, include the -attacker stores the damage count- concept. Most likely, all the different targets would be stored in an array, but shooting other targets would still deduct from the count on others. (So multible monsters could be attacked at once, but concentrating would still be promoted)

Now what?
Before we really get started, I think we need to generate a list of
A) Possible weaponry we would like to include (may or may not include the already given)
B) Monsters
Afterwords I'll answer questions we generate(Everyone really needs to have a good idea of what we're doing, and to be motivated!), then divide up some work!

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 19:09
No problem swissolo

The tower concept I lay down was an idea for a level selection screen. I based my thoughts off games like Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Super Mario 64 where the actual levels were contained within a "higher ranked" level, such as the castle from SM64. I then extended my thoughts so the level selection map isn't only there to select levels, but would become a vital part in the story, like a place you have to protect or something. It's also the place you can practice, buy things, and just mess around. Having the end-boss on that map just seemed like a good idea to me. What does everyone else think?

So the way I interpreted your post is that we:

-Are creating an Alien-Zombie-Sci-fi-shooter
-will have 4 levels which, upon completion, lead to an end-boss
-extend the concept to a multi-player game involving promotions and upgrades
-will have tons of sci-fi weapons that are AWESOME

Is that about correct?

Here is the current list of "old weapons":

I have code and media for the black hole.

My list of spontaneous monster ideas (names need work):

TheComet

TheeLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 19:22
How is this goin? Hope you guys are keeping it up!
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 20:28 Edited at: 27th Nov 2011 21:34
Quote: "So the way I interpreted your post..."

Eeyup! It breaks the game off into a single/multiplayer game. Most likely we're going to work on the multiplayer side first... not including networking, just for mechanics...

Also, from years of gaming - Simply put, the best games don't provide the player with a single possible solution, but a problem that must be solved with creativity. (Also, you might add punishing the play is completely acceptable, but shouldn't be too frequent or impactful.) As an example - portal and half-life both followed this creative challenge structure, at least for me, these games really stand out in this way, so if we provide problems throughout the game, be sure not to create the solution, let the user do that.
Soooo, the rest looks good, lets hear from a couple others.

Edit: THIS just reminded me how epic retro FPS games are... any interest in taking the retro path? Could certainly still use our washed out textures, but stylize the models as well...

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 23:22
Thanks TheeLord, we're just sorting out a few things before we light this project on fire

So should I get started with the "main world" code (where level selection takes place)? I would program the following functions:

CreateWorld( filename$ ) will load a map into memory and set it up for use. If the map already is loaded, the command will terminate.

AddWorldTriggers( filename$ ) will add triggers to the world from a config file. This will be used to define areas where you can enter the shop, or enter a new world.

AddWorldCommands( filename$ ) will read commands from a file, and process them directly using the in-game console. For example, I could save a text file with the contents "CreateSpider 0 0 0 30 10". When I load that specific world, I'll find 10 spiders at position 0,0,0 with health 30.

DestroyWorld( ) will delete the map from memory along with all commands and triggers.

ControlWorld( ) should be called once every loop.

What do you think?

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks good... though we MAY want a boolean return on the createWorld if it has a chance of failing. World trigs would probably also include possible monster spawns that would then occur under control aswell, but yep

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 10:06
Alright, working on it as we speak. I will make the CreateWorld() function return a value of -1 if it fails, and anything else if it succeeds. I also decided it be better if I wrap the triggers and the commands into one function, because AddWorldCommands() will be able to create triggers anyway.

I require authorization to update our current code to our coding standards. This includes a debug system that outputs the console to an HTML file.

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 02:23 Edited at: 29th Nov 2011 02:23
Quote: "Alright, working on it as we speak. I will make the CreateWorld() function return a value of -1 if it fails, and anything else if it succeeds. I also decided it be better if I wrap the triggers and the commands into one function, because AddWorldCommands() will be able to create triggers anyway"

Alright!
Quote: "I require authorization to update our current code to our coding standards. This includes a debug system that outputs the console to an HTML file."

Authorization? Well, the debug system is probably a smart move, long as we leave some markers as to entering the different control functions so we can spot errors. I've got some catch up work to be doing around from the time I missed, but once it's cleared up, I'll build a separate system for damage records... Too bad DBPro doesn't allow arrays within UDTs... I'll probably leave an ID marker to follow in our respective types, marking the arrays. easy work around

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 12:32 Edited at: 29th Nov 2011 12:33
TheComet's Updates

I've re-coded the entire project to fit our standards. Here's the change-log:

I think that's it I'll send you the project files via e-mail tonight so you can update them here.

Working on the trigger system and a more advanced scripting engine now.

Oh and I might as well start writing a reference guide explaining all of our functions.

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 20:37
Sent you an e-mail to swissolo☺gmail.com

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 00:24 Edited at: 30th Nov 2011 00:28

caps is off

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Attachments

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 00:32
I have an idea, though it is completely different than we have been doing. Everyone knows Dig Dug, right? Well, imagine a 3d first person shooter version of that. I imagine it wouldn't even be overly complicated to program, just a basic block section of rock that is taken out when a drill is used. Just imagine Operation Metro on BF:3, but with the ability to dig caves through the walls. Just a thought, and it would be pretty cool.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 03:49 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 19:44
[deleted]
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 19:04 Edited at: 1st Dec 2011 19:11
A machine gun! Of course, how could I forget...

I'm not entirely sure about the Dig Dug version, as it will completely alter the way this game is played, and depending on how it's implemented, vastly complicate programming of it. Let's see what others think about it.

@ swissolo

How silly of me, I host my own MineCraft server I'll use that to host the online help files They are 88 MILES PER HOUR MARTY! err, I mean, they are 88% done.

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 00:00
Here's the online command reference : http://www.shooterhelp.avxc.net/

All useful info is now at the VERY TOP of the first post in this thread. This should make it easy for people to find stuff.

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 23:14 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2011 23:15
Edit: It double posted Organic error, sorry! I'll attach a pic or something to this post later to make use of it

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Dig dug... it's a cool idea, but would break the current scheme, and I'm not sure how it would function... (thought that would essentialy be mine craft in a sense, wouldn't it?)

Anyways, nice job Comet!

I'm just checking in to notify any of our artists as to what they should be doing... Essentially, I need someone specific to take the leap into picking one the weapons we have already defined. Through their current vision, they'll model and texture this item, then I'll work with them on it until I'm content . From this we can develope the art scheme and style for the rest of our work. I had thought of mapping a basic texture myself, but I figure the artists had better be able to produce such a thing themselves, else they wouldn't be able to contribute , and I'm curious as to what others see in the game. If you're not aware I believe we are following a visual style similar to tf2. Dull, color based textures that sport faded representations of the given texture, but we're also pulling a bit of the retro end into it. Not with the intension of going low poly to say, but we are certainly not tagging the realistic route. Don't know what I'm saying? Show me what you think I mean, and we can work from there. At the moment, we're still building up the basis for the game, so don't expect any implementation yet, but I figure there is no reason to keep the rest of the proj sleeping... So tell me what you think

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2011 00:24
I think a futuristic game that's based on technology should be more in the direction of being "real". However, we can cartoonify it and still keep the realistic style if that's what we want.

Is it OK if I can work on implementing the DOOM cannon?

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think a futuristic game that's based on technology should be more in the direction of being "real". However, we can cartoonify it and still keep the realistic style if that's what we want."

I don't think we could manage the "real" looking end, not because of anyone's ability specifically, but DBpro... Have to take a different angle on it. We can take a bit of a vote on it I suppose. I don't know why valve games always come to mind, but you could say Half-Life is realistic, it fits our retro alley and I think we could manage something to that degree. We just need some kind of visual getup to draw in the player...

Quote: "Is it OK if I can work on implementing the DOOM cannon?"

Yeah, course

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2011 12:07 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2011 12:11
Quote: "I don't think we could manage the "real" looking end, not because of anyone's ability specifically, but DBpro... Have to take a different angle on it. We can take a bit of a vote on it I suppose. I don't know why valve games always come to mind, but you could say Half-Life is realistic, it fits our retro alley and I think we could manage something to that degree. We just need some kind of visual getup to draw in the player..."

Half Life 2 and Portal are great examples of my definition of "real" in DBP. I vote to stick with that kind of style. Shaders on my list to implement are:

-bloom
-parallax mapping
-cube mapping (shiny technology always looks good)
-light refraction
-shadow mapping

Working on the DOOM cannon now. Since this is our second gun being implemented, I'll also make a place-holder gun pick-up and switching system.

Where is everyone else? We need some artists here now to start working on the first map, and make the guns.

TheComet

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2011 20:06 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 19:44
[deleted]
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 23:31 Edited at: 6th Dec 2011 23:34
Updates

I've been promoted to work alongside swissolo as a co-manager. I still don't have that much free time, and won't be able to work as much on this project as I'd like to, but that's just life. Being a Co-manager will make my job easier to implement changes directly.

-I've received some good code from swissolo for bullet collision. I'll pick that apart and see if I can insert it into our engine.

What next?

I think we can check off the last to-do list. We still have a very limited amount of monster ideas, but they should keep us busy for now.

[x] Possible weaponry we would like to include (may or may not include the already given)
[x] Monsters

The new to-do list

[x] - done
[*] - in progress
[ ] - needs someone to do!

gun models:

Alien zombie models:

Worlds:

Weapon code:

Alien zombie code:

Weapon Sounds:

Alien zombie sounds:

@ TheZachadoodle

Sure, we'd love to see your concept art! Any contributions are appreciated! Feel free to post it in this thread, or if you want your work to stay private for the time being, contact details are at the very top of the first post in this thread.

TheComet

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 02:47 Edited at: 16th Feb 2018 19:45
[deleted]
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 22:27
hahaha wow that was so funny.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Had any progress Zach?
We're still chugging along!

swis
No, it's not pokemon.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
With our 100th Message comes progress!
That example I mentioned with this crazy health system specifically.
The code ought to be bonafide, but the comets, er, comments are a bit vague, you'll have to trust me on the actual code. So once again, very simple && short, but this one won't be so easy to follow. If you can track the function purposes we should be ok though... Also, you'll have to keep track of whoever's IDs somewhere.

functions

actual code

swis
No, it's not pokemon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 08:58:43
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 08:58:43