Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Any news on compiler crash error?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 09:31 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 09:45
Hi,

are there any news on the compiler error: "Process terminated with status -1073741819".
It seems that it occured on random commands when the project reaches a certain size.
Then if you comment out some lines it works again so it should be reproducable. (Sent my prj. to TGC already)

If any other TGC member needs my project to verify the error, just tell me where to send it.

(Currently it's not possible to work on the project anymore as it couldn't be tested )

Crystal Noir
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 10:34
/need agk update for that
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 13:27
There's been no change in status on any bug report, and Lee's out of the office for a week, so I'm guessing it will at least next Monday before we hear anything.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 13:48
Does problem span across multiple source code files? In other works if you break it up into multiple source code files does the problem still exist?

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 14:02 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 14:03
Yes, the the included code is counted towards the limit. I've tried moving a bunch of code into another file, still crashes. In fact this latest time I reached the limit, it was because of adding lines to a function in an included file.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 14:11
Is this Tier 1 or Tier 2? I haven't found any issues with Tier 1 as of yet, with several projects.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 14:17 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 14:19
Quote: "Is this Tier 1 or Tier 2?"

This is Tier 1, in Tier 2 you don't use the AppGameKit compiler.

Edit- Rich, well that foils that idea. No way around it at all? Is there any magic number of lines of code to cause this? (I haven't hit this problem yet).

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 14:24
There's no magic number per se, different commands trigger the crashes at different caps. For instance, a program with 103 lines of

will compile for me, but 104 lines will crash. If you can check this example, I would love to know it's not just me.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 14:34 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 14:36
I have over 700 lines of code in my current project without any issues so far.. Well, some minor ones that somehow randomly crash my game when writing a text file.. But nothing like this.

And I just made it print that text over 150 lines in a loop without any problem.

EDIT: oddly enough, compiling it a second time causes the program to stop working at random. It compiles, but the player crashes.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 14:49
@ Rich: It crashes for me as well so it's not just you.

Quote: "There's no magic number per se,"

So I might get lucky.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 15:05 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 15:07
Hodgey - thanks for checking it out!

Silvester - it's not how many times it prints, it's how many lines of code with that print statement.

You can run a loop all day with no problems, but if you have 104 lines of code, all with that command, the compiler crashes.

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 15:06
Just use xcode or c++ i found no errors with both dealing with that problem.

Go through yourself at a wall.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just use xcode or c++ i found no errors with both dealing with that problem."

But some people (like me) are using Tier 1 because they don't know C++.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 15:19
Rich, I have that line 167 times.. INSIDE A LOOP, so it's printing it 167 times per loop. I understood it was the amount of lines that crashed it for you, but I can't seem to get it to crash the same way. It only crashes the player for me.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 17:24
Silvester - okay, got it. Did you try it with just 104 lines of

without any other commands in the program? The thing is, the cap on program lines changes, depending on what commands are in each line. I've had it cap out at 2100 lines or so, depending on how many CreateSprite lines are in the code, and other commands affect the limit as well.

If you could check it with just 104 lines of the print command, exactly like in the snippet, and then let me know if it runs, that would help confirm what I'm seeing.

And... you said it only crashes the player? What kind of crash, and what do you see in the compile log window.

Thanks for the help, I'm just trying to give TGC an example they can test for buggyness.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 17:34 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 17:38
Still the same issue, it compiles just fine. Except the player(In this case, dsfds.exe, as I just buttonmashed something for the project name) crashes, again. This same odd issue happens on my own game when I try writing data into my highscore file, while it works fine without that code.. Anyways, I've attached the image to this post, the compile log shows nothing abnormal, and it's really the player that crashes.

It's very odd, and my other code that crashes the player is:

Everything works until I call that function, it creates the file, but before it can write any data the exact same crash occurs.

EDIT: Also, my apologies for my previous post. It seems to come off way more aggressive than I had intended.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 17:46
I have a similar issue, and even submitted the bug report on the bug reporting web page.

My code is very much longer than 700 lines and occurs when I use anything using text, or strings.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 18:09
Silvester - the errors that I'm getting are sometimes (only sometimes) the same as yours - "xxx.exe has stopped working", etc. and sometimes it's the compiler that chokes. So, I think we are talking about the same problem, compiler or exe, it's the number of commands that's messing something up, somewhere.

You didn't sound aggressive, and I hope I didn't either!

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 23:35 Edited at: 12th Sep 2011 23:36
104 lines of print("a") did make my compiler crash, so yes it's a bug.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
Crystal Noir
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 10:59
Hello,

It' the same here with the print command. But it seems that's the problem is here with some of other commands. It depends of the number of time the command is called.

On Irc we had a discuss about this issue. It seems that for some people the problem is here with GOSUB command or with sprites commands.

In add, it seems that there isn't any problem on Tiers 2, so may be a compiler bug in Tier 1 ?

When I done my tests, I tried to explode the code etc... but no it crashes too.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 13:08
I'd like Lee to stop working on any enhancements and concentrate entirely on this issue. (If he isn't already) We need a fix ASAP or demand for the language will fall rapidly as no-one can use it to it's full extent.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2011 13:23
I believe Lee is out for the week, so I wouldn't expect him to do much for this week at least. But yes, the random crashing should be fixed.. It's holding me back from finishing the last things my game would need before I can release it properly.
Lewis Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 06:00
I was getting error like this when my program was about 800 lines long. Now it is about 1800 lines long and getting compiler crash error. The fix you did made it able to compile until I reached this level. If I add a few rem statements the compiler will crash. I was not able to work on my program for several weeks back then until you had the fix. I am now almost to alpha stage of game and would not like to be delayed a long time again. My program has a lot of gosubs in it if that helps any.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 16:55
I have made fixes around this issue, but if you can send me your entire project I will make sure it comes for the 107 build.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Lewis Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 22:46
@ LeeBamber, Thank you for your reply. I would be happy to send you a copy of the project. Please send me instructions on how to securely send it to you. My email is lewismaloneusa@gmail.com

Posted by LeeBamber

I have made fixes around this issue, but if you can send me your entire project I will make sure it comes for the 107 build.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 11:17
Thanks, I've received your project and will use it to close off the issue you've reported. Thanks.

KareDev
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm still having this problem (at least I think it's this problem) - an intermittent crash when compiling, that seems to go away when I do things that by all accounts shouldn't fix it - taking out some carriage returns, deleting some comments, removing some whitespace...

Is there any word on a fix for this? I've got to the point where my app is about to hit alpha, and now I need to start putting in UI/final art, which is going to require a lot of extra lines of code, and I'm worried I might hit a wall during development where the compiler holds me up.
KareDev
Years of Service
User Offline
Any idea what's going on with this? These compiler crashes are gradually getting more frequent for me and it's really starting to hold up my development.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2012 20:09
Sorry if I have not ready the whole thread, but if you can somehow upload a reproducible piece of code which shows this compiler crash to the issues board (http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/list) we can tackle it for the compiler fixes of build 107. Right now we are tackling the browser platform and the new commands, which are great fun but time consuming. If your bug is in the issues board, and can be reproduced at this end, we should be able to fix it in April.

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 15:44
I had similar problems: adding some code, AppGameKit crashed. Then I add a dummy lines as "print("")", and everything goes OK. After other lines, I remove the dummy lines, and the compiler works perfectly. I already submitted the problem in an informal way, because it is difficult to reproduce exactly this behaviour. Lee told me that he is managing a 20.000 lines project without any problem, I suspect that this instability can be related to the PC platform we are using. I am using Windows XP SP3, maybe it is a little old. Maybe the compiler has got some bug too, it is normal hat a software has got some bug, too.
My project is going to about 1500 lines, and I proceed as I told you.

I know it is like magic, but till version 107 will appear, it seems the only way to advance with my app.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2012 15:49
oh my very poor English
I wrote "code addiction" instead of "code additions"...
I AM AGAINST ALL KIND OF DRUGS, except game coding...so code addiction may be tolerated.
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 17:38
I got one this week using function return to access an array.

This causes the crash;

And this doesn't;

Programatically there is no difference in what is being done, I can only think it may be stack related.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 04:40:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 04:40:38