Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / iOS AGK Viewer Released

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2011 17:06 Edited at: 21st Nov 2011 17:08
I am wondering something about the AppGameKit Player ( and sorry if this idea has already been brought up ). As the AppGameKit Player was rejected, and the AppGameKit Viewer was introduced I wondered if there was another way. And came up with this:
When user wants to broadcast/(let the iphone interpret their games) why not send the code to a database with a special id, and the agk player would get the code from the database and interpret it. It would run slower ofcourse but faster then the AppGameKit Viewer, and now it would really be a Player. And this is completly within the rules of Apple, because else they wouldn't allow Twitter Facebook and other stuff.

Quote: "It's useless fighting Apple and keep hoping.
Just jb your device and its one problem less."

Stating that is useless. You better of thinking about an idea how to prevent them to use their rules against you.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I just stated the ONLY viable solution there is right now. Other ideas will be generally rejected by Apple. Have them reject you more than 5 times and they will blacklist you, as you are wasting their time.
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not going to push this too hard. I'm just going to do it the old fashion way of building and deploying to test my game on the iPod Touch I have.
Lee, I'll be honest, I'd rather have you working on AppGameKit then trying to find solutions for people that just don't want to do this stuff the right way.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 09:40
Quote: "I'd rather have you working on AppGameKit then trying to find solutions for people that just don't want to do this stuff the right way."

Not everyone has the hardware to do things the 'right way' and some of us bought AppGameKit on the assumption (based on numerous YouTube videos) that we could test our games on AppGameKit Players without buying a Mac or paying $99 a year to Apple for a developer license.

Don't get me wrong I understand this is out of TGC hands to some extent but don't assume that because it's not your problem it's not a valid one.

grugin
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with baxslash !!! Agk, now, was the first solution to test app on iphone and ipad from windows. If I must pay a developper license, I prefer to use an other way and I pay agk and waste time to learn it for nothing ! Please find a solution and a good one.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 15:21
I'm getting a bit cross, here. TGC are undertaking something extremely complex and brave. It was never going to be easy, and never will be. This multi-platform stuff is seriously difficult, and if they can cut even 90% out of the development cycle, that's a great achievement.

You want the world for $119? Get real.

You are always going to have to apply a platform-specific stage to this process. If Apple won't let you deploy or test without a developer licence, that's because Apple are masters at over-charging and over-hyping. Don't blame AGC.

If you're serious, develop your game until it's truly wonderful. When you reach that point, decide whether you are serious or not, and then look at builds for other platforms.

-- Jim
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 15:43
No need to get cross Jim, people are entitled to expect a certain amount of what was promised when they've paid their cash and what a lot of developers saw was an opportunity to develop games and try them out on their mobile device before deciding whether or not to get a developers license on the App Store (for example)

This is what we were shown by TGC.

I am not having a go at TGC in fact I have an enormous amount of respect for what they have achieved here, nor am I blaming them.

Quote: " I understand this is out of TGC hands"

All I'm saying is that if people are saying it doesn't need sorting out because "Proper" developers would find a way around this issue I disagree.

I am also very aware that TGC are doing everything in their power to fulfil our wants and needs, something that many software companies don't care about once they have your money.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 16:56
@baxslash - I understand all that. The problem is that it can't be sorted out if Apple decide that that they won't let it. TGC/AGC can't afford to rock the boat too much. I suspect this situation has arisen since AGC made their announcement and original videos.

Very recently Apple decided that developers could no longer use a call in their own SDK to do a screen grab. All apps using it have to be recompiled or will not be approved. This is outrageous behaviour!

I think we have to let TGC get on with whatever quiet negotiations they're probably having with Klingons at Apple for Tier-1 testing and otherwise give in if we're desperate enough to want to get onto the crappy iPad and sign up and use Tier-2.

-- Jim
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 17:09
Quote: "I suspect this situation has arisen since AGC made their announcement and original videos."

I'm sure you're right.

Quote: "I think we have to let TGC get on with whatever quiet negotiations they're probably having with Klingons at Apple for Tier-1 testing and otherwise give in if we're desperate enough to want to get onto the crappy iPad and sign up and use Tier-2."

I agree. I was just pointing out that it wasn't an unreasonable thing for people to want a working AppGameKit Player to test their games since that's what we were shown. The implication by @XanthorXIII was that people who wanted a working AppGameKit Player without having to compile it themselves (which is not possible for many users) were not wanting to do things the "right way" which is a little unfair.

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 17:58
The procedure to make an .APK android file for a tier1 program, is beyond the capabilities of 99,9% of the people in the world, I'm almost there, but not quite. So I look forward to TGC offering an "U do the game - we do the lame (making it appear in stores)" services.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The procedure to make an .APK android file for a tier1 program, is beyond the capabilities of 99,9% of the people in the world"

Unfortunately I have to agree.
I never thought I would say this: iOS development is so much straight forward when compared to android!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 23:58
The sad fact is that we're now back to the situation in the 80s when we had about a dozen utterly incompatible platforms with different processors, operating systems, interfaces, admirers, haters - the whole "my thingy is better than your thingy" scenario.

In an age when we can ride virtual horses though wonderful landscapes we are now reduced to retro 2D games running on mobile phones of various shapes and sizes. In theory this should be easy, but what we're seeing is a rats' nest of incompatible flashy rubbish consumer devices that don't multi-task.

None of the manufacturers want cross-platform development. They want killer apps that will sell their units. There never will be a simple answer to this - there will be new phone-like gadgets coming out of Korea or probably China with another new system. We're back to chaos, and we have to get used to it.

As I said before - develop your game and make it great. If necessary pay somebody else to complete the final stages of the port. If you started from scratch learning all the compiler operations and SDKs for all these platforms you'd either go mad or be working for TGC (or both!).

Accepting the 99.9% figure, there are about 6 million people who can manage the job. That should be enough.

-- Jim
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2011 07:07
Luckily for me I'm now one of them. I managed to make my first working .APK file yesterday

Yes, it's hard, but it should be possible to make a simple tool that do all the hard work automatically, and spits out an .APK file from your Tier1 code. The player is the same, and only the names, APK-key, media and bytecode is unique for each project, so a wizzard that ask for those, should do it.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Jim Hawkins, the gadgets coming out of Korea/China have already been there for the past year - they are all Android based!

Developers are using Unity to great success to make AAA cross-platform games. No one seems to be complaining, and with Tegra 3 out this month, tablet games can now have desktop like quality visuals - no more 2d retro rehashes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 22:56:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 22:56:19