Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Questions about AGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 02:34
Hello community,

I am considering on purchasing AppGameKit but I have a few questions.

#1 - Is the app standalone you create with AppGameKit? (i.e. no AppGameKit player)
#2 - Do you have to pay royalties or put AppGameKit logos on your app?

Thank you for helping me.
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 04:22
1) Yes Standalone. You will need to follow the different directions to publish on the platforms/stores that you want (iOS, Android, and soon Blackberry)

You can test different devices just by downloading a player for them (ios, Android, etc..) for free, but this player is only needed if you want to do a broadcast locally over your own WIFI network for quick testing.

2) No royalties are needed. You do have to make a one time payment if you make over $100,000 a year from AppGameKit, but that seems unlikely for most people. The logo use is optional.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 11:48 Edited at: 26th Nov 2011 11:50
it's standalone, but that means it still is the player, with the BASIC code (bytecode) file packed with the player file along with your media, so that when your game starts, it's the player that starts with your bytecode. The users does not need to download the player, it's embedded in your game, and invisible to the user.

If it's an Android device, the user gets a "yourgame.apk" file to install, that's it. they can not access the content of the file after installing, so your media and how it was made is protected.

I guess since most android apps are java based, and they rely on a java "player" to work, AppGameKit should be as fast, if not faster than the same game made with java. Correct me if i'm wrong, but this is how I think it works.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Impetus, what do you mean when you say that your media is protected from the user?

If the user has the apk file in his hands, he can just rename it to zip, unarchive it, and get all your jpg and mp3 data.
extrickster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 08:52
AGK has just gotten better. I might just buy it now since I can save 20%. I have just never understood BASIC. Is AppGameKit BASIC different than the BASIC language or is it the same?

Thanks for helping me with my questions. Also, will AppGameKit be updated to support 3D soon?
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 10:08 Edited at: 27th Nov 2011 10:09
1) Basic is pretty much the same. The commands are somewhat different as you can do particles, network commands, and physics. Basic just makes it easier for beginners and people who want to get something done quickly, it's more strait forward than other complicated languages that were not really built for people in mind.

Once you learn one type of Basic, other types of Basic are just as easy to learn.

2) AppGameKit will have 3D at some point, but it maybe a while until that happens and it will probably be a paid upgrade (Version 2.0 for example). AppGameKit already uses OpenGL ES 2.0 which is a subset of OpenGL and OpenGL is a 3D API, so...

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 11:30 Edited at: 27th Nov 2011 11:32
Darn, bjadams, your right, but I don't think they have access to the .APK files they downloaded from the app store from their devices?

Is there a way to encrypt the .APK files, so that it gets installed, but people can not open it?

What I meant is that the files from the .APK file gets installed on the phone, and it's not easily accessed from a filebrowser on the device. Atleast not in any way I have seen so far.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
No APKs cannot be accessed from the device itself. The user has to download the apk on his PC in some way to be able to rip your media. The problem is also present in iphone IPAs!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 23:05:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 23:05:50