Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK - List of commands and their functions?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 02:13
As a complete beginner the moment I am learning the basics principles of coding, my next step will be learning the language.

But I have a few questions, is AppGameKit - Basic and C++, or some variant of these? So if one knows these languages, you can use any command? Or does AppGameKit use a special variant of these languages? Or perhaps it uses only certain commands from these languages? If so is their a list?

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 02:20 Edited at: 27th Nov 2011 02:21
I don't know which one is better to learn but if your a new, C++ will be around for many years so it will be better to learn for future use. If you want a quick start though I would start with AppGameKit Tier one. C++ is harder to learn but worth it in the end.

Go through yourself at a wall.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2011 05:43
AGK is a BASIC variant. This means it's not "basic" per se, but just modeled after other languages that call themselves BASIC. The complete command list is in the help menu. Those are the only commands you can use on Tier 1.

As for Tier 2, it's a set of libraries you can use with C++. With Tier 2, you use C++ as you normally would, but then you can import extra functions you can call.

Tier 1 basic has a very limited command set, so with a few days of studying you'll have it mastered. I would recommend reading over every command in core and knowing how each command works and what it does.

Once you know the core commands, move on to the other categories as you have a need. Maybe make a few simple games to help learn the basics.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 20:40
Quote: "it's a set of libraries you can use with C++"

What does that mean please?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 21:49
Libraries are like external packages which extend the list of commands you can use in the language. (Kind of like having a file full of functions you '#include' in DB) If you don't understand what libraries are, then I'd say skip the C++ for now until you've got a better grasp on programming concepts.

The list of commands is given in the help file. I'm finding the AppGameKit BASIC variant to be pretty easy to pick up.

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 11:47 Edited at: 29th Nov 2011 11:48
The sentance after that explains what a library is:

Quote: "As for Tier 2, it's a set of libraries you can use with C++. With Tier 2, you use C++ as you normally would, but then you can import extra functions you can call."

It's basically a set of new functions (commands) you can use.

I started yesterday on my very first AppGameKit project. Unfortunately, the documentation is really lacking. What I would give for just a bunch of lists, like all the supported constants, types, evaluators. I'm basically just guessing for most of it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 07:48:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 07:48:13