Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Mac OSX Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 13:52
What is the point of making a multi platform coding system when you can only write apps on Windows?

Surely a better idea would have been create IDE's for the major platforms (Windows/OSX etc) this would increase the sales of AppGameKit as people can natively code on their platform of choice.

-EdzUp
Graveyard Dogs
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 15:06
I assume you mean in AppGameKit Basic? That being the case yes it would be great to have IDE's for each platform.

Rather than asking "What's the point?" though, why not be constructive and make it an enhancement request HERE?

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 16:36
Nah what I meant was for a cross platform system wouldnt it be a better idea to make it usable on OSX as well as Windows.

-EdzUp
Graveyard Dogs
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 16:39
I'm not sure I understand. I thought you could use it on OSX...?

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 16:41
The demo version I have is a .msi windows installer, I have yet to see a mac version of the system.

-EdzUp
Graveyard Dogs
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 16:42
Tier 2 development is supported on OSX BUT you can use it through VMWare Fusion :s

-EdzUp
Graveyard Dogs
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 16:44 Edited at: 28th Nov 2011 16:46
I see, so the question you have is regarding the demo version. The full version gives you a Mac version to download too.

I think someone has already suggested that a Mac version be made available as a demo but just in case you should check the Bug report board I gave you a link to.

Yes I agree, there should be a Mac version available to try.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 16:46
According to the FAQ on the App game kit site OSX is supported as Tier 2, to use it as Tier 1 you would need 'VM Ware Fusion' to emulate Windows on a Mac so you can actually use AppGameKit to develop games. What I am asking for is native Mac tools so mac users can actually use it without having to emulate windows.

-EdzUp
Graveyard Dogs
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 16:50
So there's no native Mac version of AppGameKit? I assumed from my download folder that that's what this was:

Clearly I misunderstood. If there's no native version of AppGameKit for Mac couldn't a Mac user just use the Windows version on an emulator?

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 16:52
According to the FAQ it has to be emulated, asking them to 'emulate' it is a cheap way of doing support for a platform. What I would like to see is a native version for OSX.

-EdzUp
Graveyard Dogs
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 17:00
OK, I understand now and yes I agree, emulation is not a great resolution. I would definitely add this to the bug board as that's where things seem to be getting resolved.

I've had a couple of bugs and enhancements that I entered myself fixed already.

Can I suggest something like:
"Enhancement request
Mac version of AppGameKit Basic IDE that is capable of running on OSX without using an emulator"

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 17:16
Done and dusted

-EdzUp
Graveyard Dogs
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 11:02
Or maybe buy a cheap netbook?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 11:10
Quote: "Or maybe buy a cheap netbook?"

I think the point is he wants to be able to use the BASIC language on the machine and operating system he already has set up without having to get extra hardware or set up a virtual machine. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Buying a netbook is an expensive solution (even for a cheap one).

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 11:16
I don't think it would be too hard converting the ide to mac, but the broadcast function might be harder. Maybe make an editor for tier 1 on mac that automatically runs on the mac player? then the broadcast later?

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 11:51
The day when the scarcasm smiley gets ignored... we are all doomed...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 11:58
Didn't realise that was what it meant

DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 12:03
Quote: "
According to the FAQ on the App game kit site OSX is supported as Tier 2, to use it as Tier 1 you would need 'VM Ware Fusion' to emulate Windows on a Mac so you can actually use AppGameKit to develop games. What I am asking for is native Mac tools so mac users can actually use it without having to emulate windows.
"

To answer your question, Lee has said that they will be doing this. AppGameKit uses Code::Blocks as an IDE that can be used on MacOS X and that they just have to write the compiler for mac and it would be all good to go. This is in the future, there is a lot being worked on at the moment, so we won't see this right away.

Just like Monkey, not everything is available on day one, it's going to take time to build everything that is needed. The good news is that by February 2012 AppGameKit will be six months in after launch and it's already more complete in features than Monkey.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:33:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:33:11