Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / To People That Have Personally Experienced AGK Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 01:37
How did you do it?

Please describe your system (e.g. Operating System, Security Software , Router, etc.) including any special precautions you had to take.

I have disabled firewalls and replaced my router AND STILL NO SUCCESS.
DrT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 04:04
Ok...
Through a completely random process of disabling firewalls, rebooting and swearing, I have experienced AppGameKit Magic (sort of).

I'm using the AppGameKit Viewer for iOS and there are two noticeable problems.
1) The quality of the images is horrible.
2) The simulation will run and then pause for a second or two before running again.

I've looked on the forum and these same two issues have already been flagged with apparently no resolution yet.

So...
How are the other players (e.g. Android, BADA, etc.)? Do they experience the same problems? Or are these specific to the Viewer for iOS?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 08:41
I've had no problems at all with my D-Link DIR-635 router.

The iOS viewer is horrible because the game is being streamed from your computer to your device over WiFi. If you are using a player the game is transferred to your device which then runs it on it's own. I have an Android phone and the player works great.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 11:19
The viewer does not seem to work well under any circumstances and should be seen as a 'stop-gap' solution.

The iOS Player is great, I finally got it working last night and I'm loving it. The issue I had was that it would run but wouldn't detect the broadcast, it turned out that it was because I had Bluetooth turned on. The Viewer worked fine with bluetooth running on my iPod touch (4G) but the Player didn't.

Here is the advice that got me through:

"If you go to your network adapters page, is there more than one currently active? Some people have VMWare adapters that interfere with the broadcast. Try disabling all but the one that connects you to the device and seeing if that works."

DrT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 12:44
Now I am confused.

I thought there are two versions of a player.
1) A player (viewer for iOS) could be downloaded from an app store so that you can test your Tier 1 programs directly from the IDE.
2) After testing takes place, you can then wrap a player around your bytecode so that you can distribute it to an app store.

To Digital Awakening...
There is at least one video from Lee showing version #1 with no loss of image quality or lag. And yes, I believe you about your observation of version #2.

To Baxslash...
You confirmed my observation that there are problems with the AppGameKit Viewer. I don't understand your followup point about the iOS Player. In my mind (see version #2) above, your bytecode needs to be wrapped around the iOS Player and then transferred by a wire (not wireless) to the device. "The iOS Player is great, I finally got it working last night and I'm loving it. The issue I had was that it would run but wouldn't detect the broadcast," Please clarify. Your iOS Player (in my mind) is the AppGameKit Viewer.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 13:03
The AppGameKit Viewer (specifically for iOS) streams your app from the computer to the device and is available for download on the App Store... This is the one which alot of people have said lags and isn't great...

The AppGameKit Player is an .apk/.ipa application which you can install on your device. For Android this is simple, you simply send the file to your device and install it. However, for iOS, your device must be JailBroken... The Player works very well and is pretty much an exact replica of how your app would run natively...

I have used both the Andorid and iOS Player and they both work great.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 13:11
Quote: "However, for iOS, your device must be JailBroken..."

Not true. If you have a developer license or know someone who does they can compile a version for you that will run on your device without jailbreaking it.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 14:23
@Baxslash... You're right, didn't think of doing it that way...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 14:56
The confusing part here is that there are both a viewer and a player available for iOS. Unlike the other stores Apple does not allow the player. I downloaded my player for Android from the market which is really easy and works instantly.

DrT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 15:29
Thanks to all. I think I got it. At least I hope I do.

In a nutshell,

1) Tier 1 testing through the IDE and across WiFi to a supported device is broken for iOS (i.e. AppGameKit Viewer which can be downloaded from Apple). I'm guessing that will not change in the near future.

2) Tier 1 testing through the IDE and across WiFi to a supported device works (for the most part) for all other platforms (i.e. AppGameKit Player which can be downloaded from the other stores). I tested the AppGameKit Player for Mac OSX and it seems to work. Digital Awakening said "I downloaded my player for Android from the market which is really easy and works instantly."
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 17:21
DrT:
You can get an iOS player that works great, but you can't download it from the appstore. First you would need to jailbreak your device or get a developer license from Apple ($199 per year IIRC). You would need that license to publish games to the appstore.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Android license is only a one time $25 fee. That and because iOS requires a Mac is why I will go Android first.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't had much opportunity to play with other devices other than my netbook. I have had a quick try with an iphone using the available streaming player on the istore. It worked, but some of the graphics seemed to vanish when the app was running, both on the iphone and the pc. I did have to open quite a few ports on my router to get it working, which I found on these forums. I have also had a quick try on an Android phone, that worked perfectly, without any issues I could notice. It actually ran faster than my netbook by the looks, which seems bizzare. Goes to show how useless netbooks are for games.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
The iOS viewer from the app store did not work well for me even after disabling firewalls and forwarding all necessary ports. In best case scenarios I would get the black screen with one white pixel on the left. Even if it had worked I don't think the viewer is exceptionally useful.

Instead, I compiled the AppGameKit player through xcode on OS X (using my developer license) and installed it to my actual devices. It works perfectly and I enjoy being able to develop and test from within Windows!
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
To speed up the viewer, you have to lower the resolution of your game. Of course, if you work with fix coordinates, then that doesn't work to well. The viewer is an image streaming device with the ability to sebnd back player input. That is all. There is no game logic running on the viewer. The speed will strongly depend on the resolution of the game that is streamed to the viewer by the desktop. The smaller the game is on the desktop, the faster it will run on the viewer. And the image quality will always be lower as the streaming involves some kind of image compression on the fly. Another thing that will influence the speed is the speed of your WLAN.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 08:03:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 08:03:07