Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Money from ads?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 14:45
I can't be the only one who wonders about this. I see ad financed free apps every now and then both on iOS and Android. I even read about companies releasing all there iOS apps on Android for free with ads. But I have never once taped on these ads and I quite often ignore them. So I do wonder how much money these apps really generates. Do ads pay only per tap/click or per view or what?

BTW, do we have AdMob support in T1 yet? Is it only for iOS? If so, when do we get it for Android? Can it be added to PC games as well? Would be nice to offer a downloadable game on my website with ads.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I wonder too
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 17:21
It all depends on how good your game is. If you have a good game that people play repetitively, your chances of someone clicking on an ad increase massively. These figures are not real but illustrate the point...

Game costs £5, 100 people download and play once = £500
Game costs £5, 100 people download and play constantly = £500

Game is free with ads, 10,000 people download and play once = £100 from ads
Game is free with ads, 10,000 people download and play continously = £2000 from ads

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 17:32 Edited at: 13th Dec 2011 17:33
BatVink:
That's good food for thought Do you have any info on exactly what AdMob pays per view and click?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 12:37
Quote: "Do you have any info on exactly what AdMob pays per view and click?"

It depends on the ads your game attracts.

AdMob is now replaced by Google AdWords/AdSense. I use this in my AppUp game, and on the ADG website. Clicks vary from £0.07 to £0.70. They are nearly all ads for online games - BinWeevels is on there constantly - with the odd ad for technology, phones etc.

I have used ads on websites in the past and sometimes you get really lucky, I had a couple of clicks for £5.00 each. They were for a magic shop bizarrely. If you can attract ads for double glazing, I know the advertiser pays upwards of £10 per click, of which you'd get about 65%

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 13:29
Thanks

From my understanding AdMob is for mobile only. Both for mobile websites and apps.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 13:54 Edited at: 15th Dec 2011 13:55
Oooo an answer finally yay...

I had been pondering over this for eons...(a couple of years at most )

I forgot to add my logic of numbers x numbers vs percentage... thing...

Ie... number of downloads x number of clicks albeit accidental or intentional vs percentage of value for clicks...

EDUT

its funny Chrome has spellcheck but webkit doesnt lol... dang typos...

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 16:45
Watch out for Advert Commands in build 107 - allowing you to monetise your free apps across six platforms (at last count).

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
any planned release date for 107 or are we very far away?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 17:15
<The tension builds, starts coding furiously once again>

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 17:29
Well most of our team are on holiday now, so there will not be much happening on AppGameKit until early January (except poor me of course). We're putting the final touches to the Playbook platform, and intend to sort out the AppGameKit Player very early January for that. As soon as that's out the door, we begin immediate work on 107 which includes around 30-50 new commands and a host of minor improvements. It will take some time to get through the work but I think you'll have a great update at the end of it. In terms of predicting when it will be available, it won't be before the end of February, and I would want to release something in March for sure. Of course our resident AppGameKit demon Paul might blast through the command additions and February might be a good month, but we will see In the meantime, please continue to provide bug reports through the issues board (http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/list), as these fixes and 'occasional' enhancement additions will be developed in parallel to the new commands. Of course keep watching the tweets and news feeds, as we do like to create a video when something cool has been added in the AppGameKit engine room!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
30-50 new commands?!!!

WOW
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 22:01
I'm definitely looking forward to the 107 upgrade and getting adds into my games. Thanks for the info Lee

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 22:48
Any chance we could get the list of the new commands, so we know that to look forward to?

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
b83
Years of Service
User Offline
Some great news! any info on which ad service will be used for the Advert command? Admob, inMobi, LeadBolt, Airpush.. there are so many. thanks
newuser
Years of Service
User Offline
I had the same mindset as @Digital Awakening. I don't click on ads, so why would anyone else? Luckily, this hasn't been the case - plenty of people click on ads.

I was very disappointed with admob for the first few weeks, I was getting maybe 10/20c a day. It's weird though.. the earnings are very stable. Once you hit 5 dollars a day, it rarely dips below 5 dollars a day. Once you hit 10 dollars a day, it rarely dips below that.

That's where I'm at now - around 60 to 80 dollars a week for the last 8 months or so.

Leadbolt's a different matter. Fabulous earnings, but fluctuating wildly on a daily basis.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 01:00
I have palyed one game wich IMO has the best system for getting clicks on your ad. When you click on it, it will disappear and be gone untill yoj start the game. That way the user "earns" something for clic
king the ad to...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 01:03
Lol thats genious...

blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 01:48
Quote: "I was very disappointed with admob for the first few weeks, I was getting maybe 10/20c a day. It's weird though.. the earnings are very stable. Once you hit 5 dollars a day, it rarely dips below 5 dollars a day. Once you hit 10 dollars a day, it rarely dips below that.

That's where I'm at now - around 60 to 80 dollars a week for the last 8 months or so.

Leadbolt's a different matter. Fabulous earnings, but fluctuating wildly on a daily basis. "

Roughly how many game plays are required to reach each of these levels? Could you also provide some game titles at these levels so we could get an idea of the quality of the games producing this level of results?

Jason
newuser
Years of Service
User Offline
@blueFire - I haven't built any games, that's beyond me at the moment! My apps are pretty much your basic 'hello world' apps - soundboards, ebooks, guides, information apps, wallpaper apps etc. Very average indeed.

I've got 18 apps on the marketplace with in excess of 170,000 installs. To get those admob figures I'm getting around 1m impressions a week.

@The Zoq2 - You see that a lot with ebook apps. The banner is over the top of the text in an annoying place. People click on the ad to remove it. I can't figure out how to do that yet!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 18:02
Would be really nice if the AdMob feature in AppGameKit can be turned off once tapped/clicked. I'm planning to release a small board game for free with ads. You can still play the game with the ad showing but just tap it once and it won't distract you until you restart the app.

blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 01:05
I wonder how advertisers will react when they discover the only reason a player is clicking on their ad is to remove it for the rest of the game? I also wonder if advertisers are being charged for this "removal" click as if a person were clicking on the ad for real?

Jason
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 01:08
As far as I know its often against the rules... you can not force a user to click... it gets out of hand... and they are slow if ever to monitor this... but when they discover you broke the rules... its instant account deactivation in most cases... this may have changed by now...

newuser
Years of Service
User Offline
I know it's agains adsense rules, but I've studied admobs terms and conditions and there's nothing even close to force clicking mentioned. That's not to say they wouldn't enforce something like that, even if it isn't in the terms - it is big G after all...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 03:07 Edited at: 30th Dec 2011 03:08
Quote: "The following reply was posted by newuser into AppGameKit Product Chat to a thread you are watching:

I know it's agains adsense rules, but I've studied admobs terms and conditions and there's nothing even close to force clicking mentioned. That's not to say they wouldn't enforce something like that, even if it isn't in the terms - it is big G after all...
"

newuser.... what a name lol Welcome to the Forum... erm... if this is your first time here...

G... haha Gil? ohhhh more reminding me to pull out the ps1 asap and play some classic games!!!

on topic...

it is a rule elsewhere... spcially at some places... mainly web based companies...

EDIT

Typo

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 09:42
Forcing a user to click and removing after clicking are two different scenarios.

I've seen one game where after each level the ad would pop up right where the buttons are to continue or exit. The buttons are moved down so you don't have to click on the ad. But it is annoying, although I've never accidentally clicked the ad.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 12:11
We're keeping the new 107 commands secret as they are subject to change. We can say there are HTTP commands and AD commands (and GetDate and GetTime too). There are others but we're keeping them secret

We also find advertising revenue a decent way to monetise apps, especially if you get a consistent download rate on an app. The advantage of AppGameKit will be that your app appears on five stores, which means five times the exposure for your advert stream

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Let's make a contest, who will guess what the new secret commands will be!!!!!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 22:00
AD?

Active Directory?

Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 06:43
AD as in advertisement I imagine. I'm looking forward to the next update. I can see your working hard on delivering something that TGC should be proud of.
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 02:41
I found this in the official policies for AdMob under Publisher guidelines and policies:

Encouraging clicks

Publishers may not ask others to click their ads or use deceptive implementation methods to obtain clicks. This includes, but is not limited to, offering compensation to users for viewing ads or performing searches, promising to raise money for third parties for such behavior or placing images next to individual ads.

This was located at: https://support.google.com/admob/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1307237&topic=1307235&parent=1307209&rd=1

I suspect this would apply to telling users that if they clicked on the ad you would turn the ad off as this would give the clicker compensation (in this case no more ads) in return for them clicking on the ad.

Jason
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 03:41
I have been searching advertising platforms looking for platforms that allow publishers to use incentive advertising in their apps (allow a player to access a hidden level or unlock a game feature if they click on an ad). Thus far I have not found any.

I have found several different cost per action platforms that do allow incentive advertising which reward players for completing offers or watching videos. These include such places as SuperRewards, gWallet, DoubleDing, etc...

I am hoping the next build of AppGameKit will have the needed commands to access and use these cost per action platforms (and others).

If anyone knows of a normal cost per click ad platform (like Adsense or Clicksor) that allow incentive advertising please let me know.

Jason
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 09:05 Edited at: 12th Mar 2012 09:06
This is soo funny as the game smack it from tgc.... i keep accidently pressing on the add at the end of a round...lol!

Hopefully my accidental clicks generate some doh...lol!

Almost everytime i first start to play it i accidently press it. The crappy part is that i need to restart the game when this happens.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 14:38
Quote: "I have been searching advertising platforms looking for platforms that allow publishers to use incentive advertising in their apps"

I am not aware of any and to be honest, I would be very surprised if they existed. After all, it doesn't make any sense. Advertising platforms make their money from people who want to advertise by offing them a way of attracting new customers. Why would any advertiser ever pay for a "hit" that was never going to be converted in to a sale because the person only clicked on it to unlock a new level in a game they were playing?

basjak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 15:18
@Lucas Tiridath: advertisers you pay for the click to advertize their products and if user doesn't click, the product name will appear on the screen anyway. using digital platforms for advertising save companies millions of pounds every year.

for anyone who has doubt about giving his app free to earn revenue from advertising, best example is angry birds game. you can download it free on major platforms but how many times you click on an advert by mistake. te game worth £3.99 but they nake more money on clicks. start playing the game (or any other) and remember this thread every time you click on adds by mistake only.
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 01:17
Quote: "for anyone who has doubt about giving his app free to earn revenue from advertising, best example is angry birds game. you can download it free on major platforms but how many times you click on an advert by mistake. te game worth £3.99 but they nake more money on clicks. start playing the game (or any other) and remember this thread every time you click on adds by mistake only. "

It would be nice if we had some reports to confirm how much money games like this made through advertising.

Jason
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 03:03 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 03:07
The one reason I stopped researching php is because of of the new commands that will come out. Expessialy the HTML commands you can have a high system on your own web site with this command. I developing the rest of my engine using tiled. I hope they didn't add any more physics commands and collision commands because I think there are enough of those. I hope they added commands that would allow you to enter your own opengl commands.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps.
Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase.
Veterian for the military.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 06:52
Quote: "The one reason I stopped researching php is because of of the new commands that will come out."

Why? PHP and jQuery are amazing!!!

as well as the other things mentioned in my banner... this month I bought myself over 2000 pages of joy across 4 books with lots of text per page [TTP nice!]

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 08:24
Well php not mixed with c++. MY Web site has php in it. I meant php mixed with c++. I know php well enough to get by. I hate typing on my kindle.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps.
Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase.
Veterian for the military.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 08:34
Quote: "I hate typing on my kindle."

Android

Well you can by all means use PHP with C++ but only via network...

As far as I know...

but what is it that you wish to achieve?

SendDroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey,

My name is Chandler and I work at SendDroid

In my experience of working at an Ad Network, I have seen these developers make anywhere from $200 to $1500+ on a daily basis.

You'd think that if somebody is making that money, they're doing very well for themselves. But I have also noticed that its actually companies who get away with the highest earnings in most cases.

Cheers - Chandler

SendDroid
Partner Development

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 08:29:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 08:29:49