Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Online FPS: Info, Screenshots and Brief Demo!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 05:15 Edited at: 30th Oct 2003 05:18
Hey Guys,

Info:
I've been working on this project every now and then for the last year or so. Mainly in bursts though. (IE: Do heaps, then do nothing for ages.) I'd say right about now the game is 60% - 65% done. The game has no story or anything. Just pure multiplayer. The Work-in-Progress name is funnily enough Online FPS. Game Modes will include Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, and Team Deathmatch. I have peer to peer games working fine. But I thought about this, and decided to re-write the multiplayer system as a server - client type system. It will be much better. It's programmed in DarkBASIC Professional with Upgrade 5.1b.

Will I ever release the source code?
I may release the source code to this when its completely finished.

Screenshots:

Near Spawn In Location:
http://www.rpgcyco.net/images/ofps_1.jpg

Ammo Room (Needs Populating!):
http://www.rpgcyco.net/images/ofps_2.jpg

Demo:
This is purely a walkaround demo. Everything is in there except all the multiplayer stuff, as it isn't 100% finished yet.

Online FPS Walk Around Demo - 2.09MB

The next demo will probably be very close to a Release Candidate. So it should contain everything basically.

Requests:
I am desperately looking for modellers and mappers. If you would like to make a weapon model for this or a level, please don't hesitate to E-Mail me! (brad@rpgcyco.net)

Post your comments, feedback or whatever you wish to say!

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 11:07
hey thats loooking really good! Just a couple of points:
In the main castle part, where you have used plains to make the walkways, the collision isn't very good and they flicker sometimes, try and make them boxes.
will there be more weapons?
what formats do the levels need to be in?

Go on, click on my signature image, you know you want to
Favourite smiley>>>
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 11:44 Edited at: 30th Oct 2003 11:54
Yo,

Quote: "In the main castle part, where you have used plains to make the walkways, the collision isn't very good and they flicker sometimes, try and make them boxes."

Yeah, I know about this problem. I think I know how to solve it as well, just couldn't be bothered, lol

Quote: "will there be more weapons?"

I need somebody to model them for me. I am hopeless at modelling!

Quote: "what formats do the levels need to be in?"

If you went looking in the Levels folder, you'd see that the level is a .x object. And that all values (scale, start position, head height) are in the lvcfg.cfg file.

However, levels can also be .3ds models. Right now it is entirely possible to add your own levels. All you need to do it copy the Castle directory, delete everything in there except lvcfg.cfg. Create your own levelshot.bmp file (must be 150x100), and make the level model of course. Export it as either a .x or .3ds and then edit lvcfg.cfg to tweak the settings. Its hard to grasp maybe at first, but in the next release I plan on writing documentation on how it works.

Thanks for the comments!

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 20:02
WOW, looks cool, may I suggest to take the lightning of the arms and guns cuz they don't look so smooth. about crouching, it's not so smooth, like you're immediatly stuck to the ground and immediatly stand up, I can show you how I'm doing this in my FPS if you want. nice bullets flying out of the guns . can you please show me you your jumping code, it's so smooth . are you using kenuspen's code for the .x collision?

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb ddr sdram
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 20:39
Take a peek in the 'system' folder of the game.The DBCOllisions.dll is a DLL made by nuclear glory and provides accurate and very fast collision detetction-it allows you to use .x objects like BSPs,but with much better collision...

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2003 23:28 Edited at: 30th Oct 2003 23:29
Mussi:

Quote: "WOW, looks cool, may I suggest to take the lightning of the arms and guns cuz they don't look so smooth."

Thanks! About the lighting on guns. I have no idea whats happening. I think its the models themselves, nothing to do with DB Pro. I tried setting specular lighting to 0 but it had no effect. I'll try and find a solution!

Quote: "about crouching, it's not so smooth, like you're immediatly stuck to the ground and immediatly stand up"

I know, I just wanted to implement it quickly. I actually planned to fix it before I released the demo, but forgot!

Quote: "can you please show me you your jumping code, it's so smooth"

Basically all I do is reverse the gravity. My friend (Maths whiz) helped me code it.

Quote: "are you using kenuspen's code for the .x collision?"

Nope, I'm using Nuclear Glory's Collision DLL. You can find a link to their website in the Readme.html file!

John Darkeye:

Quote: "Take a peek in the 'system' folder of the game.The DBCOllisions.dll is a DLL made by nuclear glory and provides accurate and very fast collision detetction-it allows you to use .x objects like BSPs,but with much better collision..."

It is much better indeed. I dunno what I would do without it! lol

Thanks a ton for the comments guys!

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 00:37
Looks like its going along excellenly.

Crit:
- The cartridges that fly out of the gun, there is only one of them, I suggest you have about 10 that loop round so that they don't just disappear when a new bullet is fired.

- You should have it so that it waits for the gun to reload before you can fire again, because at the moment if you shoot while reloading it stops the reload animation and starts shooting again.

- Yeah, flickery planes .

- Guns need to be smoothed off at the edges, but you said you needed them remodelling so I won't complain.

- I also think the lighting at the hands needs work.

- The level is generally too dark, I can't see some of the walls at all.

- It may just be me, or is the mouse-camera movement a bit jerky? Are you using curvevalue? It may just be me though.

But overall it does seem to be comming along very nicely. The controls and handling are very smooth and I like the sounds and animations. Good job .

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 00:47 Edited at: 31st Oct 2003 00:55
Yo,

Quote: "- The cartridges that fly out of the gun, there is only one of them, I suggest you have about 10 that loop round so that they don't just disappear when a new bullet is fired."

Yeah I know. Unfortunately, I didn't model the weapons so I don't have the original .max files. And I don't own 3DS Max either. And I don't think the modeller who made these has the .max files either. These are really old models made for my very first game. (April-May 2001!) lol.

So really, they are just place holders.

Quote: "- You should have it so that it waits for the gun to reload before you can fire again, because at the moment if you shoot while reloading it stops the reload animation and starts shooting again."

I don't have this problem. Weird. The reloaddelay is set to 1150 milliseconds. So that just over a second. While its reloading, I can hold down shoot and nothing will happen until its finished. Very weird. Maybe there is something wrong with the timer() command? (I know somebody reported inconsistency on different Operating Systems.)

Quote: "- Yeah, flickery planes"

I fixed this today, ready for the next release or patch!

Quote: "- Guns need to be smoothed off at the edges, but you said you needed them remodelling so I won't complain."

Yeah, see my reply to your first comment!

Quote: "- I also think the lighting at the hands needs work."

See my reply to your first comment again! lol

Quote: "- The level is generally too dark, I can't see some of the walls at all."

Ok, I'll code the ability to set the ambient light today. Someone else on a different forum has reported this also. So its like a must on my todo list.

Quote: " - It may just be me, or is the mouse-camera movement a bit jerky? Are you using curvevalue? It may just be me though."

Its ultra smooth for me! I'll look into it though!

Quote: "But overall it does seem to be comming along very nicely. The controls and handling are very smooth and I like the sounds and animations. Good job."

Thanks very much!

Everybody is giving good contructive feedback, and no BS. Whats going on???!?!?! AAAAHHHHH!!!! lol

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 00:53
Quote: "Yeah I know. Unfortunately, I didn't model the weapons so I don;t have the original .max files. And I don't own 3DS Max either. And I don't think the modeller who made these has the .max files either. These are really old models made for my very first game. (April-May 2001!) lol.

So really, they are just place holders."

Oh right, its a built in animation. Well, when you get round to doing the real version, use separate objects for the cartrages and gun, then you can have them flying through the air separate to the gun animation.

Quote: "Quote: " - It may just be me, or is the mouse-camera movement a bit jerky? Are you using curvevalue? It may just be me though."

Its ultra smooth for me! :o I'll look into it though!"

Never mind, it's not bad at all really, just looking for tiny details , and besides, it's probably my mouse mat.

Quote: "I don't have this problem. Weird. The reloaddelay is set to 1150 milliseconds. So that just over a second. While its reloading, I can hold down shoot and nothing will happen until its finished. Very weird. Maybe there is something wrong with the timer() command?"

It's not the timer command, it's just that my computer is slow, and it runs the animation slow, but the timer command is the same speed. You just need to use the animation ending as your delay, not the timer() command, like enable the shooting when the animation finishes.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 00:59
Hi again,

Quote: "It's not the timer command, it's just that my computer is slow, and it runs the animation slow, but the timer command is the same speed. You just need to use the animation ending as your delay, not the timer() command, like enable the shooting when the animation finishes."

I guess I could do this. Thanks for the idea.

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 01:19
look good will down load latter

P.S. are the level made in DELED

--Dr 0--
Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 01:33
Hi,

Quote: "look good will down load latter"

Cool.

Quote: "P.S. are the level made in DELED"

It sure is. I used your DeleD to .x converter.

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 14:43
Quote: "Thanks! About the lighting on guns. I have no idea whats happening. I think its the models themselves, nothing to do with DB Pro. I tried setting specular lighting to 0 but it had no effect. I'll try and find a solution!"

try:

Specs: AMD Athlon 1800, 256 DDRRam 266mhz, 80GB HD 7200rmp U133, Geforce 4 Ti4400 128mb ddr sdram
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 16:55
Cyco I'm also making an online fps so how about a collaboration?Check your mail for more...

Jeriko The Slyz,Yian The Craft,The Mechanist,The Lost One,Master Of Dots,Bambos O Bellos,Zolos O Kolos
Mussi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2003 19:08
found another prob, when you press the "`" key it does not always open or close the console. I suspect you didn't put any hold down check in it.

Rpg Cyco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2003 00:52 Edited at: 1st Nov 2003 09:43
Mussi:

Quote: "try: set object light objnum,0"

I fixed it already, by setting the ambient light higher. Thanks for trying anyway!

Quote: "found another prob, when you press the "`" key it does not always open or close the console. I suspect you didn't put any hold down check in it."

Yeah it opens and closes really quick sometimes, I think I know how to fix it, thanks for reminding me.

John Darkeye:

Quote: "Cyco I'm also making an online fps so how about a collaboration?Check your mail for more..."

Are you Yian The Craft? If so, I got your email, just had some troubles and couldn't reply. Sorry. I've replied now though, so check your email!

l8ter

Rpg Cyco

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 04:37:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 04:37:19