Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 3tris full game with source.

Author
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 10:19 Edited at: 6th Jan 2012 10:44
Hi, here is a tetris game with source.

Im mainly looking for feedback on the control (mobiles and pc). how is the game play ?

No media used, so just copy/paste and play.
* 5 modes.
* In arcade mode, speed increase.
* Highscore on all modes.
* Display next block.

Code 900 lines, style get the job done.

Edit: made video that show highscore submit.

best regards Preben Eriksen,
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 13:28
Wow! All that without loading any media, impressive! Gets me thinking we should add some 'graphic making' commands in a future build to really let cool creations like this fly. Initially we left out 2D art tools and image grabbing for performance reasons, but you know, I think I would sacrifice some speed if it meant colourful games like this popping out of pure source code. Well done!

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 13:37
Awesome! That's really neat and looks great. I may have to try it on the iPod touch to see how it plays but it's just a great example of what can be done with no media!

Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks

Lee: if we could just change a pixel on a image with a color, that would do it, remember the old plot command.

plot image,x,y,color

Would really like some feedback on this type of control, where you just point anywhere on the left or right side of the mobile screen to control, does it work ? Got a better way ?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 15:41
Quote: "Would really like some feedback on this type of control, where you just point anywhere on the left or right side of the mobile screen to control, does it work ? Got a better way ?"

I've played a few games that work that way and it normally plays pretty well. I'll try your and let you know but looking at your code you're moving on pointer pressed so it should be fine. One thing that might be an improvement is having a button either side of the tetra for movement, one above for rotation and one below to drop it. That might give you more room on the screen and make gameplay more obvious too? Just an idea, the work you've done is very cool already.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
WE NEED IMAGE CREATION commands.
Right now it's quite "messy" to do a simple finger colouring book style app.
With the image draw/grab commands, this will be a very simple task!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 17:59
WOW just WOW!

How lomg did it take to code?

Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
New year eve i had a few and promised my daughter to make her a tetris game ( nooo neeed to pay for thaaatt i can... ), so i spent 2 full days coding this, well perhaps 20 hours.

Trisect Development
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 12:54
Ser godt ud Preben.
Kommer du fra DK?

Looks good!

iOS Apps from Trisect Development.
Click here.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 16:33
Very well done, Preben! I'm sure your daughter was very happy with the result.

Cheers

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 17:14
Why not publish this game on the app store you might get some hits, and some money.

Go through yourself at a wall.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 19:52
Plays great on the iPod touch, nice work!

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll try the high score on my Android and let you know how it works. Are they global High Scores (internet), local (network), or contained (device)?
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
I loaded an tried on my Android. It played, but looked a little different than your video. I had a black background, and no hash marks.

I also got the exact same results with the high score as I do with my game. When the input box appears, it displays the keyboard, but no characters show up with typing. There is also no way to continue after entering a name.

Looking forward to the next release of AppGameKit with some enhanced features for this.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 03:34
I made a type writer here: It was like 6 months ago.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=188922&

Go through yourself at a wall.
Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
WHAT!900 CODE!!!!

Its amazing man so amazing.Nice game Preben.I just WOW when I see 900 code hehe.

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok just played it with my PC and netbook.

It's fun game but its bit boring.Maybe put some music for fun.Thats all

Poloflece,Anayar,PWP,Henry Ham,Cosmic Prophet,Wolf,Rolfy,KeithC,Nickydude,SceneCommander,Dark Goblin And Lee Bamber is my icon.

Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 12:01 Edited at: 8th Jan 2012 12:01
Trisect Development: so you see a and then assume im from Denmark ? , well sure im from Denmark

The Slayer: Well the first thing she said was, "the orange is always 4 blocks not 3": well this is a special AppGameKit version your the only one with a 3 block orange in the world ( bummer ), but hope she like it anyway.

3d point in space: Well the game was mainly made to get feedback on the game play, or the control. i tried many apps and always find it hard to control them, so here i tried to emulate the way the cursors works on the PC , with delayed repeat even if you use it on a mobile with your fingers, and that way looks promising judging from the feedback.

badkneecap: black background. I think it is the brightness of your mobile, they always differs in powersaving modes etc. so next game i make, it will be with a larger contrast between elements.

"There is also no way to continue after entering a name.": Just press "enter" on your virtual keyboard. Do you use the keyboard that came with your phone ? it should have a "enter" button.

Leongamerz: No media means no music and special graphics but yes with a little graphics/music it would be 50% better.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Still looking for feedback on the game play, control.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 13:11
It controls great on the iPod. The left / right side of the screen to move is natural. One thing that could improve it is if there were two buttons either side of the tetra that move with it, these would be more obvious I think.

The game is great but yes some sound effects etc. would obviously improve it. I know you have posted a media free version here which makes it easy to test gameplay...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 15:48
Preben hvor i DK bor du henne?

Man I miss Denmark lived there for four years still got so many friends there... going to visit sometime this year...

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
3d, would love to be able to use your code in my game. I could write something, but it would save me the time. I'm still pretty new to AGK. If not the code, then maybe just the keyboard?
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
MrValentine: >Preben hvor i DK bor du henne? ( translated: where in DK do you live ? )

Im from Koege just outside Copenhagen

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 12:41
Its fun to see tiny scandinavia have such an huge impact on agk

Nicely done and be sure to add this to the codebase for agk.

Alot of people in scandinavia are old stos and amos users that seams to have found a liking in agk
Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes i remember Amos

BTW: the code supports any gridsize try this:

change:
global gridx = 14
global gridy = 30
global gridxsize = 16
global gridysize = 16

for this result:

or:
global gridx = 7
global gridy = 19
global gridxsize = 30
global gridysize = 26

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2012 23:51
Hi Guys, just a follow up on the 'creation commands', we've added a host of image creation style commands for 107 build planned including such favourites as GetImage and I wanted to show you a new one to those already familiar with DBP. It's called CopyImage(src,x,y,x,y,dest,x,y,x,y) and essentially embodies every kind of copy blit you can think of in a single command. With it you should be able to draw dots on an image by using the source as your palette and the destination as your canvas. Just wanted to bounce some crazy extra ideas around while we're on the subject. How about these, and do you think the command names should be changed?

SetImagePixel ( image, x, y, iRed, iGreen, iBlue, iAlpha )

Anything larger than one pixel and it's quicker to use the CopyImage command as OpenGL will kindly perform that action at top speed. For example if your drawing line is 6x6 pixels, you create an image blob that size and store it in A, then draw it where-ever the mouse is, i.e:

Do
x=GetPointerX()
y=GetPointerY()
CopyImage(A,0,0,6,6,B,x-3,y-3,x+3,y+3)
Loop

Where-as in DBP we would create bitmaps, paint to them and then grab the whole thing as an image for rendering or usage, in AppGameKit the goal is to draw directly to images, to improve performance, reduce code size and reduce the required command set. I know we all want circles, lines, fills, e.t.c, but for a first version as was suggested, a simple pixel draw goes a long way

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 09:17
Quote: "Its fun to see tiny scandinavia have such an huge impact on agk"

I have a lot of dealings with the Scandinavian IT World, it's doing a great job!

I like the game, looks excellent and a brilliant no-media example.

@Lee: I like these new command ideas. As a first pass, they allow you to do anything with a little effort. If we can make a line, rectangle, or circle in code as an image, then the hard work can be done beforehand. I'm sure some of the mathematically adept coders here can come up with efficient routines for drawing a line and then positioning it anywhere rotated at any angle (line(x,y,x2,y2)).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 09:47
Lee, those commands will allow a vast number of possibilities. The naming seems to follow the AppGameKit convention nicely too. I was thinking that CopyImage sounded too general since you might want to make a copy of a whole image and then start drawing on it (but keep the original) right?

Example:
rem copy the whole image
CopyImage(imageID, newImageID)
rem copy a part of the image
CopyImagePart(sourceID,sx1,sy1,sx2,sy2,destID,dx1,dy1,dx2,dy2)

What do you think?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 12:53
Quote: "Example:
rem copy the whole image
rem copy a part of the image
CopyImagePart(sourceID,sx1,sy1,sx2,sy2,destID,dx1,dy1,dx2,dy2)"

I've seen that the functions can be overloaded in AppGameKit, so you could have...

CopyImage(sourceID,sx1,sy1,sx2,sy2,destID,dx1,dy1,dx2,dy2

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 13:10
That would be better. I'm guessing that the CopyImage function would need a return value too for creating a new image rather than overwriting an existing image.

IE:
newImageID = CopyImage(imageID)

Preben
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee, great that is all we need.

CopyImage(src,x,y,x,y,dest,x,y,x,y)
SetImagePixel ( image, x, y, iRed, iGreen, iBlue, iAlpha )

Line,Circle etc.. can all be done using SetImagePixel.

Cant wait for the new release.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
CopyImage()
SetImagePixel ()

That's all I need to finally release an app with AppGameKit!!!!
Canadian Mark
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow that is very impressive!
I just ran it on my iPhone 4 via the player. I have a question about image quality and the AppGameKit player. I have noticed that the graphics are grainy for this and other code I run on both the iPhone and iPad but not on the PC. Is this because of the player
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2012 16:37
The Apple-based devices are a viewer, not a player. Due to restrictions, the code runs on the Windows development PC, and is viewed on the Apple devic. For all other platforms, the entire application runs in the player.

Once the app is deployed fully, it works at full resolution and full speed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 00:07:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 00:07:34